The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Backing Up...Networking...Where does it All End?
Old 5th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Backing Up...Networking...Where does it All End?

Being somewhat a computer doofus, I am not sure exactly what all I need to get redundant backups of projects...I had been backing up each song to CD-R, but these get pretty expensive pretty quick, and take up all kinds of room and time getting them saved...

I have ordered a USB 1.1 external drive to see it this will allow faster/less space greedy backups...but I KNOW there's a better way to do this...as I would like to take an old PC (complete with Ethernet card and removable HD) and tie it to my main system...

Could it really be as easy as drag and drop? What all am I looking at here?
Old 7th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
if your on PC, i just got ghost for mine and damn i love it. just take the image of the HD with the audio data and span CDR's... or DVDR's. CDR's are CHEAP. DVDR's are running $5 a pop now.

firewire drives also. screw the USB. firewire is pretty damn quick. you can actually halfway do a project on it.... i wouldnt track that way but to screw around with a mix possibly. you have to merge all the edits though.
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Once again Alpha...thanks for the info. A DVD recorder is in the not-too-distant future, so triple redundant backups will be the order of the day...DVD, USB (yeah, I know, but its already been ordered...pure backup use anyway...) and secondary harddrive should...I say SHOULD get it done...
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
if your on PC, i just got ghost for mine and damn i love it. just take the image of the HD with the audio data and span CDR's... or DVDR's.
Alphajerk, by "span CDR's" do you mean that it takes, let's say a 100GB drive full of audio data and automatically sets it up to do 700MB at a time to CDR (or 4.7GB DVDR), without having to go manually set up folders etc. like in Toast? Man I need something like that for my Mac real bad. I looked a little at Mezzo a while back for DP, but I really need one that works on the Mac in general. I'm up to 230 GB now that I need to back up. The thought of spending the time to move stuff around and set it up to manually burn all those CDs is what has kept me from doing it, and letting it get worse. I was going to just take my 100 gig IDE's out and store them, and just spend 2 or 3 bills a piece for new ones, but that's throwing the baby out with the bath water, isn't it? Besides, a hard drive is not the most secure archive medium.

What can I do? Do they make Ghost for a Mac? Maybe I'll look into Mezzo again, even just to get DP under control. Did a tracking session last night (no live drums even, just loops) and we still used over a GB of HD space in 3 hours. I need to get a handle on this archiving thing. grudge
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
What is the storage capacity of DVD for archiving?

Right now I back up to a firewire 120 gig drive in the short run and to CDR (for hard copies) via Toast. It gets unruly with big sessions.
Old 16th October 2002
richmondj
Hi people,

Use retrospect!
Dont even consider using anything else. It rocks!

I back everything up across a network, from a Mac to a PC, and it is archived on big HD's and burnt once a week and sent off site.

Personally I would avoid using an incremental backup if you ever want to restore a specific file, as incremental appends new data to an image and it makes it very difficult to track individual files.

If you are looking at 1gb of new data a week or more then invest in a DLT drive.

JR
Old 16th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
randy... yeah. it SPANS CDRs with an IMAGE of the drive... but ONLY DATA, so it doesnt waste CDR space with empty blocks. and you just feed the CDburner until its filled the disc. it even has lossless compression. my system drive on the windoze machine was 1.9GB and took 1.1 CDR's [one full one and barely a few blocks on a second one]
\
i dont know if its available for MAC though. something should be. try disk warrior maybe. its also great for storing an image of your system drive should it fail on you... just simply restore it and be off and running again.
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
cd folder partitioner here

does a similar thing for mac- it's only $19
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
There are only two choices with software - and kind of only two choices with hardware too.

Retrospect is the way to go - unless you choose Mezzo.
I think retrospect is more straightforward and more likely to be in use elsewhere.

As far as mediums go - I think burning any kind of disc is for the birds unless the project is DONE. Before that - its just a pain.
You really need to go DLT or AIT. I like AIT - and I think its cheaper. But DLT is great and probably more common.

Save yourself all the little in between steps - get serious and go with Retrospect (or Mezzo) and an AIT (or DLT) tape drive.

Anybody want to argue the retro vs mezzo or the AIT vs DLT ??
Old 17th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i think that 2 firewire drives is not only cheaper than AIT/DLT but faster [and double redundancy] while the project is going on. im always dumping a couple extra copies of the project to other drives for redundancy while the project is ongoing... then to optical media for backup [redundant as well]
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i think that 2 firewire drives is not only cheaper than AIT/DLT but faster [and double redundancy] while the project is going on. im always dumping a couple extra copies of the project to other drives for redundancy while the project is ongoing... then to optical media for backup [redundant as well]
Well - that works up to a point. But I've got lots of guys with 50gB projects who alternate weeks - I need to take it all off and put it all back on regularly and then store it forever when they are done. I also have lots of clients who stop working for a time and then resume later (usually to earn more money). I've already got six firewire drives floating around (mostly full). I keep this weeks stuff on the drives (and backup changes daily to tape). But if somebodys gonna be out of the studio for a week - its off the drives.
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin

Well - that works up to a point....
Paul, I know a few guys who just insist that the client purchase a drive for the project to live on. Then, at the end of the project, after the check clears, the drive is handed over to the client. One guy I know builds this into the down money on a project.

I don't believe this get's you out of long-term archiving onto some sort of verified CDR/DVD disc but it could keep you from the crazy switcharoo dance that you're currently doing. Then all you gotta do is bounce it over to a megagiga firewire drive for interim backup.

I gotta admit I'm tape shy... Maybe it's just the lousy luck I've had with DAT.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't believe this get's you out of long-term archiving onto some sort of verified CDR/DVD disc but it could keep you from the crazy switcharoo dance that you're currently doing. Then all you gotta do is bounce it over to a megagiga firewire drive for interim backup.

I gotta admit I'm tape shy... Maybe it's just the lousy luck I've had with DAT.
Its not a crazy switcheroo. Its great! I've tried these other methods. The tape is way faster - and it verifies. I've got several rooms and enough drives that I can run unattended backups or restores whenever is convienient (dinner - while sleeping etc.) Almost every project runs over budget - I get to keep more of the clients money for myself instead of the hard drive company. My clients don't want a hard drive of their own they want to trust all the technical details to me.

And here's a little news for you all - hard drives break all the time - they are not an ARCHIVE! I've never had any problems with a verified AIT tape. Once or twice I've gotten a bad tape - but you find that out while the data is still on the drive.

You guys don't need to switch to tape - but I'm not switching away from it. Now - I do have only an AIT1 machine - I'd love an AIT3 machine....
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Paul, that's cool... afterall, it probably only takes 20 or 30 minutes to move a 50 gig session around. If it works, don't fix it!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…