Quantcast
For me, Ascap or BMI? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For me, Ascap or BMI?
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For me, Ascap or BMI?

I know its been asked a billion times and I've read everything I can find about the issue. I was hoping I could explain my specific situation and see if you guys think one is better for me than the other.

I don't usually write music for money. I'm an engineer and songwriting is just something I like to do. Anyway, A song I wrote with a girl is being including on a different girls album. The other writer and myself have agreed to split the writing 50/50. She is already with ASCAP. Should I join ASCAP because thats who she's with? I don't wan't to pay a bunch of fees or anything to join an organization that I probably will never make money from. Also. What about things like mechanicals and Harry Fox? Do I need to worry about that?

Sorry for being so ignorant but I never expected any of my music to do much so I never really invested much time in learning the whole process.

Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnickb ➡️
I know its been asked a billion times and I've read everything I can find about the issue. I was hoping I could explain my specific situation and see if you guys think one is better for me than the other.

I don't usually write music for money. I'm an engineer and songwriting is just something I like to do. Anyway, A song I wrote with a girl is being including on a different girls album. The other writer and myself have agreed to split the writing 50/50. She is already with ASCAP. Should I join ASCAP because thats who she's with? I don't wan't to pay a bunch of fees or anything to join an organization that I probably will never make money from. Also. What about things like mechanicals and Harry Fox? Do I need to worry about that?

Sorry for being so ignorant but I never expected any of my music to do much so I never really invested much time in learning the whole process.

Thanks.
No need to join the same PRO as the other writer, so BMI is fine. BMI is easy and free to join. You can do it online. Not sure what ASCAP is up to these days. It's been a Looooonnnng time since I checked in there. It used to be more conditional to join than BMI. BMI sounds like it would be perfect for you. The mechanicals are a different subject entirely and should be in contract form before you sign the song over to the record company.