Quote:
Radiohead's management advised them to split | Music | guardian.co.uk

The band's manager admits he encouraged them to call it quits while making In Rainbows, one of their most successful albums
Somebody made a thread about this already, but it was kind of confused so there's wasn't many reactions to it. I'm reopening the case..

The Blanket Fee Tax (called Licence Globale in France) is the MOST advocated solution to piracy here. It's pushed by many people, including some in the government. There have been numerous and constant discussions about it, but it's also higly controversial, and heavily criticised by a lot of people (me included).
For some reason, very few people outside of France know about this concept.

I have serious doubts about it (wich i will explain later), yet sometimes i wonder if it's not the only pragmatic and rational solution to piracy. The only one that makes piracy totally useless. I feel it's important that it gets discussed, especially by people outside of France, as this concept is supposed to work everywhere.

So here we go. I will use France as an example for the calculations , but you can adapt it to your respective country.

A- a compulsory small sum, say 6 euros per month , will be slapped on every internet subscription in the country. It will be either be payed by the internet subscriber , or absorbed by the ISP themselves.

B- This monthly tax is multiplied by the number of Internet subscribers in the country. In 2008, France had around 18 millions internet subscribers. So this tax will generate an annual sum of 1,296,000,000 euros . So that's a bit more than a Billion euros annualy (or a thousand million if you prefer)

C- In 2008, the annual total sales of music in France was 1,049,000,000 euros (digital and physical sales). So it's a Billion euros annualy too.
Therefore the annual blanket fee tax generates more than what the industry makes annualy.

D- Music downloads on P2P will become legal. No more chasing pirates.

E- This annual generated sum will be split among copyright holders and artists based on the pro-rata of their downloads. So let's say your album represented 20% of all downloads in that year, then you will get 20% of the annual sum of money generated that year by this tax.

F- Who will be in charge of this ? A neutral entity. Either your government, or an already existing society of authors and composers, like SACEM in France or ASCAP/BMI in the US, etc... (Or even a brand new organisation)

G- How will the number of downloads be measured ? Now this is one of the MOST controversial aspects of this concept. I will simply list the ones that have been proposed at this time. :
* 1 : By a limited panel, like the way they measure television audiences (and radio ?) , It could be a panel of a few thousands people.
* 2 : By measuring all music downloads in said country, like companies like BigChampagne does (a file swapping monitoring site that measures what and how much is being downloaded on p2p networks)). How precise are they, i don't know...
* 3 : By creating an "official" p2p network and tracker. This will lead to very precise counting of what track is downloaded and how many times. People will be encouraged (or forced ?) to download on this official p2p.
* 4 : By a combination of all the above.

That's it.
What do you think about it ? Do you see it possible in your country ? Can this be really the ultimate solution to music piracy ?

EDIT: It seems that other people are warming up to the idea. Radiohead's manager seems to be in favor of a Blanket Fee Tax according to this :Radiohead's management advised them to split | Music | guardian.co.uk