Quote:
MGMT Leak Highlights Growing Tide of Pre-Release Streams - Speakeasy - WSJ

After the coming album by rock group MGMT popped up on file-trading sites, the band offered its own streaming version free of charge. Such pre-release streams have become standard marketing procedure for record labels, even as they continue to crack down on unauthorized releases.
Wondered what you thought about this?

MGMT Leak Highlights Growing Tide of Pre-Release Streams - Speakeasy - WSJ

Which links a site that shows all *leaks*:

Leaks All Day - Did it leak? - Music Album Leak Release Source - CD Advance

First of all - nearly all records in last 10-15 years have been leaked, I don't have stats/link on that but I would say it's at about 98% if not 100%. Now the band are using the leak as promotion. Not silly. BUT they are in a position where they can do this, they sell out everywhere (with the new higher ticket pricing reflecting the lost sales on cds of ye olde) and leak or not, they will SELL A MILLION RECORDS for real!

Next, the band are saying:

"Hey everybody, the album leaked, and we wanted you to be able to hear it from us. We wanted to offer it as a free download but that didn't make sense to anyone but us"

WHOISMGMT?

This is calculated. Marketing. It's not independent of what their record label would say, surely? (thoughts?) Yet - 'We wanted to offer it as a free download but that didn't make sense to anyone but us' seems to show a conflict of opinion with their label. But I would say there was no conflict. Pure marketing.

So I guess the old argument that surfaced after the Radiohead - 'pay what you want if anything' - model shows that free streaming/mp3 is ok.. if you are giants.

Not something we don't already know but I have never seen the 'leaked music, here listen to this, we are cool with it' phenomena happen so 'inyourfacedly.' They knew this would make headlines. I love MGMT but had no idea they had a new record out. So, I will buy the cd soon! Good work.

Doesn't help the small bands with no promotion and that killer first record.