Quote:

I thought I'd post this in here and make it relevant to you as a person in the music business.

FCC loses key ruling on Internet `neutrality' - Yahoo! News
Quote:
WASHINGTON – A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that the Federal Communications Commission lacks the authority to require broadband providers to give equal treatment to all Internet traffic flowing over their networks.

The ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia is a big victory for Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company. It had challenged the FCC's authority to impose so-called "net neutrality" obligations on broadband providers.
I think that this is for one, a bad bad road to start down for the internet and choice as a whole but to keep it on point with this forum I ask this:

How will the end of net neutrality affect your business as a(n) engineer/musician/producer/record label?

How will independents compete on the internet if you have to pay Comcast/whoever an exorbitant amount of money just to be on an equal playing field as the majors? Won't this create a new barrier to entry into this business that will stifle not only competition but also creativity in the long run?

It's an interesting thought and for the hopes of music and the internet as a whole I hope that net neutrality is not abandoned in favor of pay-to-play.