Quote:
Runninish Music - Mixing, Production, Remixing, Web & Graphic Design, Songwriting & Rentals

Music Services which include mixing, production, design, web design, rental...
Quote:
There is a lot of debate about there being too much music, or that there can never be enough. Some say it is a good thing, some a bad thing. Some enjoy looking for new music, some don't. Some say the ease of access and ability to create music inexpensively has been a good thing for it.

We just released a new mixtape/album and went with CDBaby to do it solely for iTunes and the like, because we did that with our first one it keeps it easier. We went with CDBaby at the time based mainly around Derek Sivers, his philosophy and writings, who was still involved at the time.

So our album went live on Wednesday the 21st, later in the day.

For ****s and giggles I thought I would do some random searching today, Sunday the 25th, on CDBaby to see what the experience might be like for someone trying to find new music. So for rounding let's say that is 4 days.

Remember CDBaby is only one of the very few who have this kind of service available.

In searching the new arrivals, which appears to place your release within that timeline based upon when it goes live on their site, ours came up on page 67. There are 9 per page. That totals 603, for a whopping total of 150.75 a day and 6.3 per hour. Now imagine every other site and adjust accordingly.

Now add to that any completely independent release that doesn't go with this kind of service coupled with indie labels and the majors who have traditional distribution channels and/or direct access to iTunes etc. and top it off with those that are just giving their music away for free void of any of these.

How can anyone find any music? That is a lot of wading and listening, no one has that kind of time.

It is clear to me that with these sorts of numbers the supply far outweighs the demand.

No way can anything shine through, no way that anything free sparks interest, no way that it can retain much value.

What is also clear is that there are definitely people benefiting from this, but I am not sure it is the artist or the fan.

Just doing some random calculations with 150 releases a day let us say that half are album half are singles. Singles=$9.99 start up fee Albums=$35 start up fee.

75x$9.99=$749.25
75x$35=$3374.25

Total=$4123.50 a day revenue for CDBaby solely on start up fees.

Over a normal year that would be=$1,505,077.50

WoW!!

That is only for up-front fees. Think of the cut on every sale that they also take. Now think of every single company that offers a service like this. The democratization of music has certainly been good for some people, but it isn't those that it should benefit the most. As per the norm it seems the artist gets the short end of the stick, and at the same time we have flooded the market and made the experience of the fans messy and complicated and really hard to find anything.

There's just too much damn music out there with too many people benefiting from it other then the artist or fan or those concerned in the development of new artists and bands, and I have no clue what to think about any of it.
Not intended for promo or anything but if you want to read it from the source with some images and pictures you can go here.

Justin Mantic