Quote:
On The Road With DJ Shadow Post #3 - Which Marketing Channels Are Working And Why - hypebot

Michael Fiebach is the Project, Marketing and Merchandise Manager for DJ Shadow. As Michael and DJ Shadow have crossed North America on tour, Hypebot readers have been getting an exclusive look inside how they market and stay connected to fans. (Read Post #1 and Post #2) Ah. Another day off. I am in Durham, North Carolina, in between a show in Atlanta (last night), and Baltimore ( tomorrow night). Things continue to go smoothly. I am definitely at the point of AUTO DRIVE. This is the point in tour when you have come to the realization that this is your...
I honestly don't......

The artist that concentrates solely on music, then places a price on the end product saying if you like my music you'll buy it and in doing so support me - is uncool. They are supposedly doing music for the wrong reasons.... to make money.

The artist that spends creative time designing and selling t-shirts, the artist that signs a sponsorship deal to promote a fast food chain, the artist that uses their creativity to write and record music for a car commercial, the artist that talks about 'monetizing' their fan base, with the email address being a highly valued capture - is cool. They are adapting to the future.

To me the most honest business model is making music and asking people to support you by buying the music. If no one likes the music, no one pays.
I don't want to support a fast food chain by default just because I like an artist's music.
I really don't want to be 'monetized', and have my email address traded behind my back.

On The Road With DJ Shadow Post #3 - Which Marketing Channels Are Working And Why - hypebot