Quote:
Update Your Browser | Facebook

Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People use Facebook to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, post links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet.
I'm a hopeless idealist so here goes...

If you have any experience in the music industry as an artist or songwriter you know that the system is designed to give you the short end of the stick (or no stick at all). Even your friends the Performance Rights Organizations (BMI, ASCAP etc) are not transparent about where the money goes.

Why are you treated this way? Because you do not have a unified voice. The movie industry has SAG, Directors Guild, Writers Guild etc, but in the music industry, songwriters and artists have no collective leverage. The lack of transparency throughout the industry, the horrible contracts that are standard fare and the pathetic royalties that are taking shape with new internet companies (streaming on Spotify will require you 4 million streams per month to earn minimum wage) are all evidence of the fact that there is no effective voice to lobby for your needs.

I have created a facebook fansite for the Artists and Songwriters Alliance and reserved the URL.

If this site receives 30,000 fans I will assemble a notable board of directors and make this organization a reality.

You are the Golden Geese without whom there would be no music industry. You have power, but only if you have a unified voice.

If you really want change, join, get your friends and their friends to join.

With hope for a bright future,

Angelo Montrone