Quote:
The Effect of Graduated Response Anti-Piracy Laws on Music Sales: Evidence from an Event Study in France by Brett Danaher, Michael Smith, Rahul Telang, Siwen Chen :: SSRN

Digital piracy is a significant problem for the creative industries. Still, while there have been many academic studies showing that piracy hurts sales, there h
oh boy... this not going to please some people here ( please don't shoot me, i'm just the messenger !)

So, this new study from Carnegie-Mellon researchers proves that the french anti-piracy law HADOPI corresponds with a precise and sudden increase of 25% in iTunes sales since it became effective. And France seems to be the only country in Europe to have seen this increase in sales. And it's the only one to have a similar anti-piracy law in Europe.

Funnily enough, if you read french you should check this article in newspaper Le Monde , where the journalists try to belie the study by saying that the real reason for this unique increase in sales in France , is due to the fact that it coincides with the fact that Apple made huge sales in France of its iPhone , and because you can buy iTunes tracks from the iPhone , people did.

I don't know a single person who buys songs directly from their iPhone.

mmm.. so does that mean that laws can ideed have an effect on piracy ?
Discuss