Quantcast
Anyone Using Digital Performer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone Using Digital Performer?
Old 18th September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Anyone Using Digital Performer?

For any of you who really know DP well, could you give an opinion on how the most recent versions are working on the Mac? Are they could for high track counts?

Is there an equivalent to bouncing in place (Logic)? I know there is track freeze, but is there some kind of VI "export as audio" that re imports the VI back into the session timeline (like Cubase).

Does DP have an offline bounce feature?

Thanks for any opinions on how DP compares to the usual suspects. I am interested in checking it out because of it's many scoring features.

TH
Old 18th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Larry Mal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Digital Performer is very good software and the latest version is very stable on the Mac, or it was, with Snow Leopard.

I'm out of date on it, sorry... I only wanted to suggest that you pose your questions on the MOTUNation forum, and they will certainly give you the answers to your specific questions.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal ➑️
Digital Performer is very good software and the latest version is very stable on the Mac, or it was, with Snow Leopard.

I'm out of date on it, sorry... I only wanted to suggest that you pose your questions on the MOTUNation forum, and they will certainly give you the answers to your specific questions.
Thanks...yes the MOTU forum for a specific question, but I wanted unbiased opinions on how well it runs etc, and that forum is noted for heavy censorship of any criticism...

TH
Old 18th September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Larry Mal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I certainly never found much, but then again, it is run by one guy and I guess he's ruffled some feathers in the past. But I would think they would be up front about stability... they certainly never pretended to like DP6 and that was one reason I skipped it.
Old 18th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I use DP7 everyday on a white macbook running 10.5.8 (leopard).

Cant vouch for snow leopard, but the answer to all your other questions is YES.

Haha hows that for brevity?!
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo ➑️
I use DP7 everyday on a white macbook running 10.5.8 (leopard).

Cant vouch for snow leopard, but the answer to all your other questions is YES.

Haha hows that for brevity?!
Hey thanks!

TH
Old 18th September 2012
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Sergievsky's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It runs great on my macs, on 64bit Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro 8core, on Mountain Lion on my 17" MB (last before the retinas), on 64bit SL on a 15" and older 17" MB in 32bitSL.

It has everything you were asking, and is great for scoring (amongst other things). I also have Logic and use it for some stuff, also PT9 and tried PT10 (dropped it because I need offline bouncing). It may not be as efficient as Logic, but it's certainly efficient enough and stable enough. I now use VEPro to integrate my Macbooks with the desktop, and because of its integration with DP I am more than willing to wait for MOTU to really get DP8 as optimized and stable as possible.

A really great software, one that has really helped pay the bills.
Old 18th September 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
More features than one person will ever need

extremely stable

decent included plugs (the only plug chorus I can stand)

Really a great program
Old 18th September 2012
  #9
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Used here on a daily basis since 5.1, quite stable (crashes like once per week, usually for some "3rd party" reason) not as efficient as Logic (offline bounce and freeze is a lot slower,less CPU-friendly as well) as said by others, but other features make up for it: Pitch editing, quality plug-ins (MW EQ, Leveler, etc.) and (MOTU) hardware integration are the ones for me.
Old 18th September 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diossyakos ➑️
Used here on a daily basis since 5.1, quite stable (crashes like once per week, usually for some "3rd party" reason) not as efficient as Logic (offline bounce and freeze is a lot slower,less CPU-friendly as well) as said by others, but other features make up for it: Pitch editing, quality plug-ins (MW EQ, Leveler, etc.) and (MOTU) hardware integration are the ones for me.
Crash once a week is stable?

I don't consider that stable.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 18th September 2012
  #11
100698
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
For any of you who really know DP well, could you give an opinion on how the most recent versions are working on the Mac? Are they could for high track counts?

Is there an equivalent to bouncing in place (Logic)? I know there is track freeze, but is there some kind of VI "export as audio" that re imports the VI back into the session timeline (like Cubase).

Does DP have an offline bounce feature?

Thanks for any opinions on how DP compares to the usual suspects. I am interested in checking it out because of it's many scoring features.

TH
DP has a vast and deep feature set. The question is whether or not it's the right fit for given user.

Poke around the MOTU website for info like this: MOTU.com - Mastering

MOTU.com - How do I convert my MIDI sequence to Audio?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's an equivalent of Logic's efficient Bounce Track in Place that produces separate audio tracks from a m.o. SI.

DP doesn't have proper MIDI containers (regions), but it does have amazing automation draw/redraw tools. There are really helpful mouse cursor readouts which Logic doesn't have.

Logic's Score Editor is more powerful than DP's Quickscribe which to be fair, isn't meant to be a full-featured score editor. If you're using a separate score program then this is a non-issue.

DP themes are gorgeous and can alter one's mood in a beneficial way. Logic's GUI is drab, but it's real beauty is its under the hood power.

My advice would be to order this inexpensive but actually very good video tutorial of DP7. This will give you a sense of how it looks in action:
Mac App Store - DMD's Digital Performer 7 - Know It All!
Old 9th June 2013
  #12
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
What i like with DP is the multiple sequences in one project making it easy to looprecord until I get what I want. But what I hate with it is its tiny text. Its so tiny that it makes young people bending towards the screen trying to edit MIDI f.ex like old people without glasses. Constant strain. And the MIDI screen, iyou have to be constantly careful for it not to zoom over/below the edit then one has to slide the display onto place again. Everything has to be with the mouse, if I want to edit notelength I must point to the end, to edit the front I must point to the start, why couldtn they have more tiny boxes to choose the edit to make it easy? Also, to choose between straight lines or fades they use a popup. To move regions back and forth exactly with command, one has to pop down and click. Then the popup dissapears and one has to do it over again . Why couldnt they leave it in the sidewindow? As long as DP uses tiny writing and prefer a clean window (to avoid cluttering and have it look better) I wont upgrade to DP 8. Its a strain to use. Worthless MIDI edits.
Old 9th June 2013 | Show parent
  #13
MFW
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudzero ➑️
What i like with DP is the multiple sequences in one project making it easy to looprecord until I get what I want. But what I hate with it is its tiny text. Its so tiny that it makes young people bending towards the screen trying to edit MIDI f.ex like old people without glasses. Constant strain. And the MIDI screen, iyou have to be constantly careful for it not to zoom over/below the edit then one has to slide the display onto place again. Everything has to be with the mouse, if I want to edit notelength I must point to the end, to edit the front I must point to the start, why couldtn they have more tiny boxes to choose the edit to make it easy? Also, to choose between straight lines or fades they use a popup. To move regions back and forth exactly with command, one has to pop down and click. Then the popup dissapears and one has to do it over again . Why couldnt they leave it in the sidewindow? As long as DP uses tiny writing and prefer a clean window (to avoid cluttering and have it look better) I wont upgrade to DP 8. Its a strain to use. Worthless MIDI edits.

I've used DP, Logic and Pro Tools all fairly extensively (hopefully Live soon!). I totally agree with your statement here about DP. DP is a very capable DAW. I've been (forced) to use it at work because the guy who is building the recording studio at Portland State University is a DP user from version one and won't use another DAW, and, I find editing audio a real hassle / cumbersome when compared to Logic and especially Pro Tools. I have the same issue with text and with midi as you do as well. DP handles batch midi editing really well I think, editing a bunch of midi data at once is easy and well done. One of my BIGGEST pet peeves with DP is the fact that you have to have two different tracks for midi data and a virtual instrument, unlike Logic and even Pro Tools. This is cumbersome and a pain and very old school, adding time and killing work flow, in my experience. Personally, I'm not a fan of how DP handles groups of tracks and organizing tracks in the tracks / sequence window either. Nor do I dig how they handle takes. No drop down take window, allowing you to see all the different takes simultaneously, in the sequence window Just personal preference. I would much rather use PT and Logic.

That being said, DP is a very capable DAW, and some people like to use it. If you're a home studio guy or a hobbyist, def worth demoing and checking out for yourself. However, you won't see this software in many professional settings at all.
Old 9th June 2013 | Show parent
  #14
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFW ➑️
One of my BIGGEST pet peeves with DP is the fact that you have to have two different tracks for midi data and a virtual instrument
Yeah, that's pretty crazy.

Coming from Logic, I had high hopes but found DP unintuitive and cumbersome. There doesn't seem to be a real alternative to Logic. Shame.
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
  #15
MFW
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➑️
Yeah, that's pretty crazy.

Coming from Logic, I had high hopes but found DP unintuitive and cumbersome. There doesn't seem to be a real alternative to Logic. Shame.
Maybe Cubase? Never used it and not sure about it on a mac. PT is amazing of course but not a fan of its midi editing and implementation.
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Nut
 
Brian Ralston's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFW ➑️
One of my BIGGEST pet peeves with DP is the fact that you have to have two different tracks for midi data and a virtual instrument, unlike Logic and even Pro Tools. This is cumbersome and a pain and very old school, adding time and killing work flow, in my experience.
Interesting and ironic that that same thing is one of the reasons I love DP. :-) Just sayin'. But I know that is personal preference. For multi-timbral orchestral instruments like a large brass section Multi in Kontakt, which most VIs are these days...midi track organization suddenly becomes very clear. Especially with track folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFW ➑️
Personally, I'm not a fan of how DP handles groups of tracks and organizing tracks in the tracks / sequence window either. Nor do I dig how they handle takes. No drop down take window, allowing you to see all the different takes simultaneously, in the sequence window.
That's not true...you can explode the view of the takes in the sequence window just fine and highlight and edit takes into a comp take track very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFW ➑️
Just personal preference. I would much rather use PT and Logic.

That being said, DP is a very capable DAW, and some people like to use it. If you're a home studio guy or a hobbyist, def worth demoing and checking out for yourself. However, you won't see this software in many professional settings at all.
Absolutely not true at all. Especially in the film scoring world. Guys from Danny Elfman, John Debney, Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, countless others all use DP exclusively in their workflow. Are they not at the top of the profession in their field? In the music industry, DP also runs most live shows these days (backing tracks, track reenforcement, lights, stage movements, video, pyrotechniques) from Madonna, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Motley Crue, Robert Townsend, The Eagles, you name it...they are using DP to drive the shows on their live tours.

At the DP8 launch event in Los Angeles, Lady Gaga's main music producer presented and shared that he works on her tracks in DP now (conception to final mix)...not Pro Tools. Just pointing that out.

A professional solid DAW program indeed.

But again...the best DAW to use is the one you are quickest and most comfortable with. But I can assure anyone that giving DP a good solid look...especially since there is a 30 day demo now of both windows and MAC versions...might win over some folks. Take note...that with DP8s new video engine harvesting the GPU for video rendering and functions...older video cards in some old MacPros are not happy with DP8. Most newer 64bit machines on OS 10.8 are doing just fine.
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
  #17
MFW
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ralston ➑️
Interesting and ironic that that same thing is one of the reasons I love DP. :-) Just sayin'. But I know that is personal preference. For multi-timbral orchestral instruments like a large brass section Multi in Kontakt, which most VIs are these days...midi track organization suddenly becomes very clear. Especially with track folders.



That's not true...you can explode the view of the takes in the sequence window just fine and highlight and edit takes into a comp take track very easily.



Absolutely not true at all. Especially in the film scoring world. Guys from Danny Elfman, John Debney, Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, countless others all use DP exclusively in their workflow. Are they not at the top of the profession in their field? In the music industry, DP also runs most live shows these days (backing tracks, track reenforcement, lights, stage movements, video, pyrotechniques) from Madonna, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Motley Crue, Robert Townsend, The Eagles, you name it...they are using DP to drive the shows on their live tours.

At the DP8 launch event in Los Angeles, Lady Gaga's main music producer presented and shared that he works on her tracks in DP now (conception to final mix)...not Pro Tools. Just pointing that out.

A professional solid DAW program indeed.

But again...the best DAW to use is the one you are quickest and most comfortable with. But I can assure anyone that giving DP a good solid look...especially since there is a 30 day demo now of both windows and MAC versions...might win over some folks. Take note...that with DP8s new video engine harvesting the GPU for video rendering and functions...older video cards in some old MacPros are not happy with DP8. Most newer 64bit machines on OS 10.8 are doing just fine.
I stand corrected. In my experience you won't see it in many recording / mixing studios.... But you sound like you know your dp very well. I believe it's used for all you stated. Go dp!
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Nut
 
Brian Ralston's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFW ➑️
I stand corrected. In my experience you won't see it in many recording / mixing studios.... But you sound like you know your dp very well. I believe it's used for all you stated. Go dp!
Pro Tools is THE industry standard for audio. Yes. But it is not really solely because of the program itself. It has a lot to do with those processing cards and other unique Avid/Digi hardware that goes along with an HD system that gives it its power and stability.

But...once someone starts to have needs other than audio like midi instruments, DP, Logic and Cubase start to become the area to focus on for the better tool. Protools midi is getting better by the version but it is still not where the others are.

When I do my film scores they all have to be delivered to the dub stage in a ProTools session because that is what the film is mixed on. But those scores are conceived and produced in DP. Then at the end, transferred into ProTools via an aaf. For me. That is my choice.

Basically the right tool for the right job is the best approach I would recommend anyone take. And for anyone, blind loyalty to just one is a bit shortsighted. I would recommend anyone define for themselves what their needs are and then explore the software that allows them to achieve that in the best and most efficient way possible.

Old 10th June 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My DAW is not connected to the net.

The new DP8 can be tested... only by authorization via internet WTF ??
Really lame
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Nut
 
Brian Ralston's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyman ➑️
My DAW is not connected to the net.

The new DP8 can be tested... only by authorization via internet WTF ??
Really lame
Yes. I believe this is true. The old DP used the physical CD as a way to help prevent piracy. It was needed on install to provide a hidden auth file. But with optical media and their drives going away, they had to come up with a new method. So, it quickly calls home to the MOTU mothership on launch. DP has avoided iLok and MOTU has done that on purpose. They want the user to be able to run the version they paid for.

The new authorization benefit though is great. They will allow you to put it on multiple systems at the same time, as long as you are using only one instance running at a time. (Yes they can see when different DP key codes happen to run DP in different geographic and IP address locations). And they allow you to run both MAC and Windows versions with the same key code. They do not lock you into choosing one or the other. Having a dedicated music computer on the net anymore is not a big deal. There are dozens of full proof ways to lock it down for security especially behind a router and system optimization any more is not really an issue in both OSX and Windows. They are both pretty good about redirecting resources where needed system wide unlike how they use to be.
Old 10th June 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ralston ➑️
Pro Tools is THE industry standard for audio. Yes. But it is not really solely because of the program itself. It has a lot to do with those processing cards and other unique Avid/Digi hardware that goes along with an HD system that gives it its power and stability.
If you look at this poll...
The Ultimate Favourite DAW Poll 2012/2013
...you'll see that only 13 out of circa 480 responders answered that they are using TDM or HDX cards.

I've had a look at both Cubase and DP lately, and these two DAWs may be among the fastest developing DAWs these days. They both have a number of very interesting features which Logic, which I use, doesn't have (VST expression, QuickScribe, multiple songs within a project, folder tracks and more). Logic still seems to be the market leader (on Mac that is - we can't expect it to be the market leader on the PC platform!), but this could change if Steinberg and MoTu keeps working as hard as they seem to do.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 32073
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 450 views: 70891
Avatar for workstation15
workstation15 17th February 2015
replies: 63 views: 16041
Avatar for Wendellching
Wendellching 28th October 2015
replies: 1296 views: 181389
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump