New Buchla easel! - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Buchla easel!
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild ➑️
Which sound are they referring to, then, when they alude to the "legendary MiniMoog sound" being infused into the Voyager? Is there some other legendary MiniMoog sound out there which doesn't sound like a MiniMoog?
The point I'm trying to make is that the Voyager wasn't claimed to be an exact replica of the minimoog model D, but more of a new model of minimoog with additions to the old one while attempting to retain the sound (nowhere do they say that they followed identical signal path and circuitry to keep it true to the original, as these other re-issues are boasting.) And the bigger point is that it doesn't sound like a model D (at all,) which is why you can't compare it to these other replicas which nobody has heard yet, and are claiming to be true to the original as their only goal. This is not what was attempted with the voyager, and is not what was achieved with the voyager, so you cannot compare a successor which does not sound like the original to a replica which could sound like the original. A better comparison would be the SEM, not the voyager.

Regardless, let's stop arguing here about whether or not the Voyager is a good comparison of how a re-issue reflects on the value of an original. I am stoked on the new Buchla! Wooo!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which sound are they referring to, then, when they alude to the "legendary MiniMoog sound" being infused into the Voyager? Is there some other legendary MiniMoog sound out there which doesn't sound like a MiniMoog?
It's called a voyager not a model d.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➑️
It's called a voyager not a model d.
But they're both MiniMoogs. Go back and read the original news articles and reviews that were published around the time that the original Voyager was released. There was a lot of praise being lavished on it at the time in terms of the new MiniMoog "retaining the sound of the original":

SNAMM02: Moog Voyager In Production, More ins and outs plus other tweaks -Sonicstate.com

This wasnt an accident. Moog Music obviously wanted people to make that connection, otherwise they wouldn't have named the new product after the incredibly famous original, nor would they have styled it in the manner than they did. Even now, if you go to the Moog site, the products category lists 'minimoogs', not 'voyagers', and, again, the site contains the aforementioned copy about the aforementioned "legendary MiniMoog sound".
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
SovietSpaceChild not sure what you're trying to prove but it seems rather pointless and this thread is about the Buchla music easel...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But they're both MiniMoogs.
Prophet 5 and Prophet 08 are both Prophets.

Quote:
This wasnt an accident. Moog Music obviously wanted people to make that connection, otherwise they wouldn't have named the new product after the incredibly famous original, nor would they have styled it in the manner than they did. Even now, if you go to the Moog site, the products category lists 'minimoogs', not 'voyagers', and, again, the site contains the aforementioned copy about the aforementioned "legendary MiniMoog sound".
Of course, this certainly wasn't an accident. Why wouldn't they want to name their new synth after one of the biggest sellers in analog synth history ? They certainly wanted people to make that connection and in the process hopefully sell as many Voyagers as possible to people who think they are buying the legendary item. This is basic marketing.
And there is a big difference between "retaining the sound of the original" (totally subjective) and "reissue faithful down to component level" (100% technical).
But all this doesn't mean the Voyager is not a good analog synth, just that it's another synth than the D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does anyone have some samples of Music Easel sounds/jams/patches?

Do you think they'll be available in Europe, e.g. Schneider's or something like that?
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Search Charles Cohen on YouTube.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea, I saw that one.

Here's the original manual btw:
http://ia600701.us.archive.org/33/it...nersmanual.pdf
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phutureboy ➑️
Just to stress your point, so are the Prophet 2000 and 3000 (sampler), Prophet VS (vector synthesis), and the upcoming Prophet 12 (wavetable hybrid). So, when people say the Prophet 08 doesn't sound like a Prophet.... well, of course it doesn't! They're all quite different.

</ot>

I really want an Easel, but would have to save for a while and/or sacrifice other things to get it. I don't know if I can.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not really the best example. As someone else has already noted above, the Prophet line of synthesizers is long and varied, and includes samplers as well as digital analog hybrids such as the VS. For 30 years, the name MiniMoog referred to a specific monosynth.

Quote:
Of course, this certainly wasn't an accident. Why wouldn't they want to name their new synth after one of the biggest sellers in analog synth history ? They certainly wanted people to make that connection and in the process hopefully sell as many Voyagers as possible to people who think they are buying the legendary item. This is basic marketing.
And there is a big difference between "retaining the sound of the original" (totally subjective) and "reissue faithful down to component level" (100% technical).
But all this doesn't mean the Voyager is not a good analog synth, just that it's another synth than the D.
You are correct. The original question was "why do people compare the model d to the voyager". The answer is because Moog Music actively encourages that comparison.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
I really want an Easel, but would have to save for a while and/or sacrifice other things to get it. I don't know if I can.
Yeah I hear you. It's an amazing synth from what I have heard. That said, I could make some serious upgrades to my modular case with $4k. It's tough. A huge part of the appeal is having a part of history. Buchla is a legend and has been inaccessible to 99.9% of the population until now. That said, the number and diversity of eurorack modules is amazing and I feel fortunate to live in a time when $4k will get so much in the modular world.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would so much like have one of these, just to be able to play a Buchla synthesizer again! As a student I had regular access to this studio with a Buchla 200, a Moog System 55, an ARP 2600, a couple of EMS VCS-3 "Putneys" and some other tasty delights.

Old 5th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What class was that?
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why? because the value of his will go down?
more so, what he paid for it. He's not a collector.. he's a player.

I think it was around 10k.
Spoke to him the other day.. he's ok now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 ➑️
What class was that?
The electronic music program (TIMARA) at Oberlin Conservatory. That photo was taken about ten years before I studied there, but I used those exact same instruments. I believe the guy in the photo is the one who designed and maintained the studio back in the 70s.

When I was there, the ARP and the two Putneys had been moved to a "beginner's studio" and only upper level students had access to the Moog and Buchla. The studio had also acquired a Serge modular by that time.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
The electronic music program (TIMARA) at Oberlin Conservatory. That photo was taken about ten years before I studied there, but I used those exact same instruments. I believe the guy in the photo is the one who designed and maintained the studio back in the 70s.

When I was there, the ARP and the two Putneys had been moved to a "beginner's studio" and only upper level students had access to the Moog and Buchla. The studio had also acquired a Serge modular by that time.
Nice! Must have been a great experience.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
Nice! Must have been a great experience.
It was! But I only scratched the surface of what those machines could do. I could have spent my entire life in that studio. My fondest memories though are of the beginner's studio with the ARP and Putneys. There was something special about it -- a bit like falling in love for the first time....

(sniff)

Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SPAM

well, this was done on an original but whatever...thought i'd post about it...
MATRIXSYNTH: Alessandro Cortini: Forse 1 - All Buchla Music Easel Release in the Works

edit: attached a clip...
Attached Files

resta.mp3 (2.54 MB, 660 views)

Old 5th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➑️
well, this was done on an original but whatever...thought i'd post about it...
MATRIXSYNTH: Alessandro Cortini: Forse 1 - All Buchla Music Easel Release in the Works

edit: attached a clip...
Beautiful sound! is this just one voice playing, or did you layer some of them too? Also, which reverb are you using?
Old 5th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Beautiful sound! is this just one voice playing, or did you layer some of them too? Also, which reverb are you using?
hi,
i am not the creator of the music, i just work w/ the label who will be releasing it. i don't know anything about the recording except he used the Easel.
imo there are a lot of very nice sounds/textures he gets out of that thing...
sorry i can't help out with specifics.
Old 16th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There are video demos on youtube now
Old 28th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️

Very cool. My dad went to Oberlin
Old 11th September 2013 | Show parent
Deleted b598644
anyone got one already?
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

It's why a Honda isn't a Ferrari. Do you need a Ferrari ? Can you get by without one? Of course. Would life be a little better if you had one? Of course.
Old 11th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn, after the neuroinum deal fell through I am terribly gassing for the easel. I wonder how long it would take from ordering to delivery?
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No one knows. None have shipped yet, and you'd be at the end of the line
Old 13th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Looks like Nine Inch Nails got one

Instagram
Old 13th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➑️
Damn, after the neuroinum deal fell through I am terribly gassing for the easel. I wonder how long it would take from ordering to delivery?
I'd expect November, best thing to do would be to wait till dealers get it, and then buy it at less than MSRP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 ➑️
I'd expect November, best thing to do would be to wait till dealers get it, and then buy it at less than MSRP
good point, I saw that it was a bit cheaper with one of the dealers than directly with Buchla. November is very soon!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard ➑️
Looks like Nine Inch Nails got one

Instagram
that's probably an original one. I think Alessandro has 2.
πŸ“ Reply