why no audio clips yet??
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Because it isn't fully functioning yet.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man, these Buchla synths sound so alive and almost acoustic like. The percussion type sounds are especially impressive. If I ever win the lottery...
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for turning me on to Lyonel Bauchet, the guy has made some amazing tracks !
I could listen to his bandcamp page tunes all day long.
http://lyonel.bandcamp.com/album/

Sadly it's made me want a Buchla for the first time :/
Don't think I'll ever be ready to drop that much dough for a synth though.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
... Just opened a few bills that came late. *sigh* Might have to cancel if my plan doesn't work out.
If/when the time comes, and you have to flip the ****e Serge Creature/EQ pair
to grab that wicked sounding, performance oriented Easle...
hit your boy up! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➑️
...has an upcoming release featuring this thing...sounds amazing...
Yeah? Under which moniker? Looking forward to hearing it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil missFlag ➑️
Man, these Buchla synths sound so alive and almost acoustic like. The percussion type sounds are especially impressive. If I ever win the lottery...
you are getting pulled in my friend. that's how it all starts...
first with the covet.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
It just seems that people don't use these things in productions as much as they should.
Just because the Easel is a Buchla design doesn't mean it can't be used for a bass line in a funk track or a hi hat in a pop song. I've had enough of Bongos
Just wondering if you know why not? Are they that much harder to patch than a regular Eurorack set up?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➑️
Just wondering if you know why not? Are they that much harder to patch than a regular Eurorack set up?
I think the issue is that almost everyone thinks in Moog style ADSR, VCF and
thinks of a piano keyboard. It certainly heads towards less cutting sounds than the fast attack moog style sound but can certainly be used for classic synth stuff. It will always have that Buchla character but ultimately it's probably the lack of 1 v/oct and lack of piano keyboard that make people do the bongo stuff (which falls out of Buchla!) You just need to try a bit harder perhaps, but they are not harder to use in any way really.
A bit like the VCS3. You can do melodic stuff no problem, but the FX stuff just falls out of the machine, so you go with it!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It is unfortunate that this doesn't get much attention. This is a fully functioning Buchla synth for the price of what ONE module could cost! Yeah, it's pricey, but so is a Moog Voyager. The problem is that a lot of folks associate Buchla synths with (as David said) bongos or stupid bug noises, which stems from Buchla owners themselves that post these stupid demos. So it makes the system look like a $50,000 buzzing machine and that rarely looks attractive to anyone.

To me, this seems like an awesome deal, and I think more people should be looking into these machines for a powerhouse synth.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find these synths very ugly...

*prepares flame suit*
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Morley: I forgot how much I love that track thanks for posting it.

If this easel re-issue had been out just a few years earlier I would have snatched it up instead of my 1 panel serge system, which is also an amazing (and more flexible) synth, but doesn't have the same performance possibilities. The easel is a sketchboard and live performance synth IMO. It's actually very straightforward and quite conventional if you read through the Alan Strange manual.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer ➑️
Yeah? Under which moniker? Looking forward to hearing it.
just his name...it should be out soon @ IR
supposed to be LP & CD, each with different material...
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
To me this is a classic example where I like to look at the cost to useability ratio, and for me I just haven't seen anything done with one that I couldn't do without.

But hell, I'd still like one if it was thrown at me
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
Not really!
This is a track where the drums and percussion was all Buchla 200 (the "beat" and the weird hi-hat type stuff.. )
I also think the chords were the 200.
I used my 200 a fair bit over the years but used to record snippets and place them in tracks so I am sure I used it for all kinds of sections.
But my stuff is not really straight ahead in any case.

i love that tune. fantastic stuff
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmurphy ➑️
i love that tune. fantastic stuff
ditto. i need to find a copy of that record. first time hearing your music. i can dig this
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Decided that this is definitely my next purchase.. Yet another ro******* in starting a eurorack system (and my pocketbook is thanking the lord for that)

edit: wow.. "ad block" with no space is censored here? Weird.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A friend of mine who owns an original Music Easel had himself a mini-panick attack when he heard about this..
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
A friend of mine who owns an original Music Easel had himself a mini-panick attack when he heard about this..
Why? because the value of his will go down?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why? because the value of his will go down?
According to Buchla it's the exact same structure, and they are selling it for 4k. The originals went for about 10 times that much when there were only so many available since it was nearly impossible to find one. Now they take 10 minutes to order new of course, assuming that it sounds as good. They claim that it sounds exactly the same.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➑️
According to Buchla it's the exact same structure, and they are selling it for 4k. The originals went for about 10 times that much when there were only so many available since it was nearly impossible to find one. Now they take 10 minutes to order new of course, assuming that it sounds as good. They claim that it sounds exactly the same.
10 times? Wow did not know that. This has been the namm of vintage synth values maybe going down in value.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
10 times? Wow did not know that. This has been the namm of vintage synth values maybe going down in value.
Yeah, the Music Easel was practically unobtanium until now. I'm sure people who spent upwards of 40k on the classic are pooping their pants now.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
An original is still an original.
Vintage 200 series Buchla haven't dropped much in value since the 200e went on sale.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, the Music Easel was practically unobtanium until now. I'm sure people who spent upwards of 40k on the classic are pooping their pants now.
Did anyone ever really pay that much? I think that the most I've seen was in the ballpark of 16k.

Either way, I don't see prices on the originals coming down too much. Prices of MiniMoog Model D's kept going up after the release of the Voyager, likewise in regards to Buchla 200 modules after the release of the 200e, the rise of the latter probably exacerbated by the influx of new users who could make use of 200 series modules in their 200e boats.

In terms of sound, there will always be differences when you're talking about 30+ years since the release of the original. Modern day Serge systems have differences from their older counterparts. Hell, the aforementioned MiniMoog Model D has differences from unit to unit.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild ➑️
Did anyone ever really pay that much? I think that the most I've seen was in the ballpark of 16k.

Either way, I don't see prices on the originals coming down too much. Prices of MiniMoog Model D's kept going up after the release of the Voyager, likewise in regards to Buchla 200 modules after the release of the 200e, the rise of the latter probably exacerbated by the influx of new users who could make use of 200 series modules in their 200e boats.

In terms of sound, there will always be differences when you're talking about 30+ years since the release of the original. Modern day Serge systems have differences from their older counterparts. Hell, the aforementioned MiniMoog Model D has differences from unit to unit.
Last year I saw one sell for 28k (I was interested in it but had nowhere near that kind of cash) and I have a friend with one who has posted some youtube videos, and has had offers of up to 50k on it, which he has refused since he has never come across another and it has been his baby since he bought it new in 73. But who knows whether those offers would have been solid if he had accepted them. I just know that people are prepared to pay stupid money for them, and it has been steeply increasing the past few years until now. I am sure that if it is exactly the same (unlike the voyager, which sounds like an entirely different instrument from the Model D to my ears) it could have an impact on these prices. Though it wont null them of course, since they are still incredibly rare, nostalgic, and a collector's piece for sure.
Lives for gear

Quote:

why do people compare the model d to the voyager? They were never supposed to be the same thing. of course the prices didn't drop.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Though it wont null them of course, since they are still incredibly rare, nostalgic, and a collector's piece for sure.
the other thing to keep in mind is that the people who would pay $40k are not the same demographic of people who would spend $4k. the end result being that the sales of one do not cannibalize the sales of the other.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
why do people compare the model d to the voyager? They were never supposed to be the same thing. of course the prices didn't drop.
The Moog Music site states the following:

Quote:
The Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition fuses legendary Minimoog sound and looks with modern features.
Given that the company which produces the instruments itself is making claims pertaining to sound authenticity, how are people not going to make comparisons? How about doing some research on your own before trying to pick more fights on this forum?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Moog Music site states the following:

Given that the company which produces the instruments itself is making claims pertaining to sound authenticity, how are people not going to make comparisons? How about doing some research on your own before trying to pick more fights on this forum?
But the fact is that it is not an exact replica or reissue, it is just structured after the model D. They do not claim to use the same components, or identical sound as the Buchla music easel and Mini MS20 boast. The fact that it says "with added features" already sets it apart from the Buchla and MS20, which intentionally kept it exactly like the original to make it a re-issue, and not a successor. It is more of a new instrument based off of an old instrument. It is not called the Minimoog Model D 2012.

In addition:

And I believe the point being raised by asking "why do people always compare xxx to the Model D/Voyager" is that they failed at making an instrument that sounds exactly the same, so you cannot compare that failure's lack of impact on the original's price to a possibly successful reissue's impact on its predecessor's price.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They do not claim to use the same components, or identical sound
Which sound are they referring to, then, when they alude to the "legendary MiniMoog sound" being infused into the Voyager? Is there some other legendary MiniMoog sound out there which doesn't sound like a MiniMoog?
πŸ“ Reply