Quantcast
new EMS Synthi A on German eBay - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new EMS Synthi A on German eBay
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.h ➡️
and then woke up and realised they are one of the most hyped synths ever , amazing and vibey , unique and really nice to use and own but utterly hyped.

I only want one as i am in a dave brock tribute band and stuck in 1972
Exactly that. We had one here for a while (about 10 years !!). Brilliant at "that" sound But there are many other things that'll do it - get a eurorack system and blow the EMS away, for example.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
goeiemorgen Beschaving heh
I've just sold my right kidney. It was a bit of a question which one, right or left, but I think I got it now.
Sell one of your spacesuits.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have one in the studio for an extended stay as of yesterday. It really is all that! What an incredible-sounding monster! I absolutely love it, and can easily lose hours playing with it...
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
put some samples on your soundcloud maybe?
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
KT1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
'Original Synthi As, VCS3s and Vocoders are still in production together with new designs such as the SoundBeam. Spares and service are still available for most of the original products.
Prices do not include carriage or duties.

Synthi A £1600
Synthi VCS3 £1800
Vocoder 2000 £1050
Soundbeam Kit A £1095

Patch Pins £3-50 each
Modifications poa '

Source:Electronic Music Studios

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd probably take a bite if there would be a definite date when the run starts and when the run is finished and units are manufactured. Rather than "next month, next month, next, and before you know another year passed".
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 ➡️
'Original Synthi As, VCS3s and Vocoders are still in production together with new designs such as the SoundBeam. Spares and service are still available for most of the original products.
Prices do not include carriage or duties.

Synthi A £1600
Synthi VCS3 £1800
Vocoder 2000 £1050
Soundbeam Kit A £1095

Patch Pins £3-50 each
Modifications poa '

Source:Electronic Music Studios
"Last updated: 8th August 1998"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack ➡️
put some samples on your soundcloud maybe?
Soon, soon, early next week - too busy for now!
KT1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitradix ➡️
"Last updated: 8th August 1998"
Im not sure what this statemement is implying? I have spoken with EMS less than 2 weeks ago. This is still valid. The waiting list is approx 2 yrs and a £150 check is required (not cashed) to get on the list.
Old 28th September 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Order now before EMS sees this one sold for $10k...LOL. I'm sure they already know about and probably don't care. Just cue the trumpet for a big old "wah, wah, wah" sound on whomever bought this one. Hopefully they didn't spend their entire savings on it.
KT1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➡️
Order now before EMS sees this one sold for $10k...LOL. I'm sure they already know about and probably don't care. Just cue the trumpet for a big old "wah, wah, wah" sound on whomever bought this one. Hopefully they didn't spend their entire savings on it.
I did not confirm the pricing. This could still be out of date. Only that the waiting time is 2 yrs /deposit detail and stilll in production. Most are modded.

I can also confirm no queue jumping allowed... I ASKED.
Old 30th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Awaiting my VCS3

I placed an order about 6 years ago with Robin Wood, he emailed me about a year ago, saying that my VCS3 is due to be built Summer 2013.

I have the money saved up over those six years, I just have a standing order from my bank account which goes into a Building Society account of £44/month.

I will NOT be selling it to make a fast buck, but might sell my Phutney clone.
Old 12th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa ➡️
I have one in the studio for an extended stay as of yesterday. It really is all that! What an incredible-sounding monster! I absolutely love it, and can easily lose hours playing with it...
did you ever upload any samples of the synthi?
Old 13th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
in case you cant afford one and use a sampler alot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ems-Synthi...71080107239%26
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Next week! Too busy working on a tv soundtrack, with a typically-insane work schedule.
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Would it be that difficult for someone with a bit of electronics knowledge to build one of these. I'm sure I remember a thread at Muff's about someone building these (not Robin who has the license), and receiving threatening legal letters, if my memory is correct.

Surely an enthusiast who knows their electronics could built one cheaper than the prices they fetch now on eBay.
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➡️
Would it be that difficult for someone with a bit of electronics knowledge to build one of these. I'm sure I remember a thread at Muff's about someone building these (not Robin who has the license), and receiving threatening legal letters, if my memory is correct.

Surely an enthusiast who knows their electronics could built one cheaper than the prices they fetch now on eBay.
Like anything, Analog electronics is possible to reverse engineer. That is why countries have patent systems in place for products. In other words, if the Synthi is patented in your country, one can build it, but not sell it. If it is not patented and one can build it, given there is access to the necessary resources, then that person must live in China.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➡️

I've been looking into it...
It is just about possible, but will not be cheap. Many of the parts have not been made for 30+ years, so are far from easy/cheap to track down. Still, no doubt it could be done for rather less than the inflated prices a real one goes for.

As for Muffs. Im not registered there, but I like to read threads there from time to time, and I think I've read all the VCS3 and clone related posts. I don't recall reading anything about legal threats, but I did get the impression that current owner of EMS Robin Wood was a bit disgruntled about the idea of clones, but not much more than that.
Still, given that new ones are far from readily available, and that the original designs were never patented to begin with (and patents expire anyway), then I don't see much of an issue with clone PCB's (which is all the chap is offering, not entire cloned synths to sell). I don't think owners of the originals need worry about values being affected either. Look at the 303.. Still goes for silly money despite clones being all over the place.
Old 13th October 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The thing about patents is that they do expire. When they do, it is fair game. Possibly a reason why patents expire is so that people can progress technology by learning from things made in the past and making them better. In the case of an exact clone, that is just copying. Look at x0xb0x. It is an improved version of the TB-303 that would have never happened if the patent never expired. Roland would have sued those involved with reproducing it. It is actually a well established system that promotes innovation.
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thats the thing, people would "improve" it and it wouldn't be the same. plus, the parts in these synthis are from another time. the way they were assembled. it has to have an affect on the sound.
Old 13th October 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think x0xb0x sounds good to me and it is a huge improvement over the TB-303. As for new Synthis, does anyone actually know about the parts, with the exception of the briefcase? You would have to crack one open to find out. I assume it is all discrete. For all we know, EMS are using parts that you can buy online. And keep in mind, certain electronics have a shelf life, such as capacitors. As for assembly, yes, calibration absolutely has something to do with the sound, but that can be reversed engineered with a volt meter.
Old 5th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
well i've actually been on the waiting list for about 12years ... i'm not holding my breath or ever expecting one... i have been told by Robin that i will get one... but not sure i could actually afford it now...
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it common that they (he?) do not respond to emails?

best regards
Massimo
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How much of the mystique of the Synthi and the 2600 (and I guess the Roland System 100) is tied to their inclusion of a spring reverb? I think that has a big psychological effect when you play thru it.
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo ➡️
Is it common that they (he?) do not respond to emails?

best regards
Massimo
I didn't got response too. Sent about month ago.

Maybe next year?
Old 11th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➡️
How much of the mystique of the Synthi and the 2600 (and I guess the Roland System 100) is tied to their inclusion of a spring reverb? I think that has a big psychological effect when you play thru it.
I never played one, but I agree

The same with the Arp 2600. At first when I heard clips I was like, dang, that synth sounds so mysterious and über-vintage! Then I noticed the verb.

Then I bought a spring verb :D Haven't regretted it, I can make my synths sound like 50 years ago But I had to learn not to overuse it.
📝 Reply