100 Moog emulations, Zero Buchla emulations - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
100 Moog emulations, Zero Buchla emulations
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
100 Moog emulations, Zero Buchla emulations

Just a thought, but I find it rather interesting that everyone is trying to emulate a Minimoog, or Moog modulars (as well as Yamaha, ARP, and Korg synths) but everyone universally ignores the Buchla as something to emulate, either physically or digitally.

Is it just because its too complex of a system? Having something like a 200e in a Reason-style interface would be pretty fun, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's just not well known enough among non synth people, is my guess. Even drummers have heard of moog.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
on the Moroder Rare synths akai cd, there are some Buchla samples. but yeah, an emulation would be good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
half of the fun to me is that the buchla is hardware. I probably wouldn't be that interested in a software version... it just seems different
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a huge amount of research and development would have to go into emulating the Buchla exactly. (or maybe not?) what are the copyright issues on that type of incidence?

the good news is, we can dive into Max/MSP and start making a Buchla ourselves

it's just it would take a lot of work (money), and not a lot of people would be interested in it.

the buchla is for strange strange stuff... that's its forte. not screaming poly chords and leads.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Buchla Tech
This guy makes clones mostly for his own use i assume. Other than that it's pretty thin.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Buchla are hardware. From my understanding, they will not ever allow buchla instruments to be replicated in software. Like myself, they feel it will cheapen it, and it would probably sound like crap.heh

alexP
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Hmm, I think there's some software emulation in the 200e system. heh

Well I'm not a fan of emulations, and I agree it's the Moog name that sells all those softsynths. Many electronica fans have never heard of Buchla.
I would guess there are copyright issues too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If someone could recreate a soft-buchla, in terms of patching capabilities and a fairly close sound approximation, I'd be all over it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can anybody name a famous and familiar Buchla Sound ?
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
To me, a large part of the joy in using a Buchla is the way the whole system feels while using it. The front panel interface of all the modules working together is really fun and inspiring. I've never used a system that had as many things that are voltage controllable.

I think that some of the things that make up the Buchla Sound would be fairly hard to do in software. The Low Pass Gate, for example would probably require an approach like convolution to get the ringing decay right. The Timbre section of a 261e (or old 259) has enough non-linear weirdness that it would be challenging in software.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi ➑️
plink, iteeplink... . plooooooong... blipblipppy booooooooorrr plank tank

tank

ponk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not a buchla at all but a good emulated modular is the void modular synth from psoft. its a step away from the usual moog, arp etc vsti

PSOFT WEBSITE - VOID Modular System

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The sounds don't have names, but when you hear a Buchla the sound is unmistakable.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm ➑️
plink, iteeplink... . plooooooong... blipblipppy booooooooorrr plank tank

tank

ponk
heh exactly the patch that came to my mind as well
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ladies and gentlemen, the great morton subotnik...
http://www.mortonsubotnick.com/sampl...pplesSmple.mp3

i had all his records in the '70's... time to buy them again.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think part of the reason that Buchla isn't as well known as Moog is that Moog made a point of designing instruments that musicians can 'play' in the conventional sense of the word- ie giving the instruments a diatonic keyboard with an action similar to every other keyboard in western musical history.

This made musicians more interested in using it professionally and taking it seriously. Moog also promoted his gear all over the world to musicians and famous stars to endorse.

At a time when electronic music was not really an option for the mainstream of pro musicians to have a keyboard instantly makes the thing accessible to those who were uncertain about the potential usefulness of the synths.

Buchla synths were all about thinking un-coventionally and to this extent didn't really offer a keyboard .....Its not hard to see where this led.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster ➑️
I think part of the reason that Buchla isn't as well known as Moog is that Moog made a point of designing instruments that musicians can 'play' in the conventional sense of the word- ie giving the instruments a diatonic keyboard with an action similar to every other keyboard in western musical history.

This made musicians more interested in using it professionally and taking it seriously. Moog also promoted his gear all over the world to musicians and famous stars to endorse.

At a time when electronic music was not really an option for the mainstream of pro musicians to have a keyboard instantly makes the thing accessible to those who were uncertain about the potential usefulness of the synths.

Buchla synths were all about thinking un-coventionally and to this extent didn't really offer a keyboard .....Its not hard to see where this led.
I'm starting to believe the traditional "keyboard" is an outdated and creatively restrictive concept and should be cast aside for new and exciting methods of note input. How many of you have seen the C-THRU Music Axis-64 & Axis-49? Now we just need Behringer to start making the "Axyz-64" so we don't have to spend $1,700 to own one.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
stikethumbsup
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I was under the impression that historically it was an East Coast vs West Coast thing. I read the book Analog Days: The Invention and Impact of the Moog Synthesizer a while ago and it seemed that while Moog got more 'popular' quickly due to the familiar keyboard layout, that Buchla was still ahead of his time and super relevant.

Does Moog Music license out the 'moog sound' and name to every company that puts Moog patches and emulations on their machines?

Buchla just seems super unappreciated.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
just so you know, there are alot more buchla clone modules than moog being done at the EM forums. but it's all DIY stuff, so not exactly mega popular.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney ➑️
ladies and gentlemen, the great morton subotnik...
http://www.mortonsubotnick.com/sampl...pplesSmple.mp3

i had all his records in the '70's... time to buy them again.
There's also the early work of Suzanne Ciani...mostly commercials and not in the same league as Subontnick's work (IMHO), but still interesting nonetheless.

Here's a link:
Early Ciani Menu Page
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i doubt there's something out there that matches the vibe of a buchla. those who know, appreciate it.
now, let's someone make a soft super clone of that machines. anyone of then, i'd be pretty happy :D

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
the concept is just very appealing
YouTube - Buchla 200 Modular Synthesizer Patching

and this also sounds fresh
YouTube - ARP 2500 1 - water rhythms

free your mind and your modular will follow? heh
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
the concept is just very appealing
YouTube - Buchla 200 Modular Synthesizer Patching
a-ha! So that's how it's done. :-)

- C
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
buchla magic flute.
Attached Thumbnails
100 Moog emulations, Zero Buchla emulations-buchla_magicflute.jpg  
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've seen a soft synth called Syd that is supposed to emulate a Music Easel. However, it was a shareware project, and I don't think the author supports it any more.
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You can not sample the Buchla. It is the silence between frequencies of white noise.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
deep! heh

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
I'm starting to believe the traditional "keyboard" is an outdated and creatively restrictive concept and should be cast aside for new and exciting methods of note input. How many of you have seen the C-THRU Music Axis-64 & Axis-49? Now we just need Behringer to start making the "Axyz-64" so we don't have to spend $1,700 to own one.

here's another one. different: traditional piano layout, augmented with microtuning. WILD!
H-Pi Instruments | TPX Videos
πŸ“ Reply