2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
WTF

chromatic scale
(this one is messing with my brain)
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A while back, I posted on the Reaktor forum asking if anyone had attempted emulating a Buchla in Reaktor.

They laughed at me
Lives for gear

Thanks Reptil!

Hey Reptil, thanks for posting those. That H-Pi vid is very interesting. I haven't seen one of those before but I have seen the Opal. Something to consider. And those videos with the Electronic Music course teacher and her cat are great. She's really put some serious time into restructuring the Axis. I can imagine how tedious that would be.

Yesterday at work, I was obsessively preoccupied with impure thoughts of harmonic table controllers and how useful they could be for an extremely fresh approach to composing with synths. Did you notice the new addition in my sig line? heh

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
Hey Reptil, thanks for posting those. That H-Pi vid is very interesting. I haven't seen one of those before but I have seen the Opal. Something to consider. And those videos with the Electronic Music course teacher and her cat are great. She's really put some serious time into restructuring the Axis. I can imagine how tedious that would be.

Yesterday at work, I was obsessively preoccupied with impure thoughts of harmonic table controllers and how useful they could be for an extremely fresh approach to composing with synths. Did you notice the new addition in my sig line? heh
He Plaid, thank you for bringing this to the surface again. These months for me is an opportunity to think over and reorganise my setup. A new controller is definately part of that.
Now with the pound tanking, and the euro balancing above the abyss, I might actually buy one of these Axis things, something I did not consider 2 years ago when they were released.
The cosmic energy must be aligned, I was very much obsessed with this too, until I had to find my bed.
Piano keys are nice, but I'm a person for small fingermovements more, even considered a stringed instrument at one point, since my big ass maudio piano board doesn't inspire me the way it should.
Like Anakin: Something is wrong, I'm not the Jedi I'm supposed to be.
heh

I have to close this reply before I can look at your sig, one moment...\

ah I get it

that girl Elaine looks like the type who takes her time if she really wants something... a good thing.. I'll send her a message and invite her over here? Maybe she can shed some light on the Buchla controller ideas, and this weird scale she's been working on.

I think one of the big things about the Buchla, or any modular (of course every instrument) is the way it is laid out
this can facillitate creativeness, or dampen it. I spent a fair amount of time planning where to put modules in my doepfer, I hate it when you have to reach for things, the Axis controller is in the same train of thought IMO. How are Buchla controllers tuned? Equal temparement though I do hear other things in some examples? like here Allesandro Cortini uses a C major scale AFAIK. Open ended I suppose? Buchla controller here

For some reason the Buchla also seems fit for alternate scales, to my ears at least. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Anybody else here using other scales? Anybody here using a Buchla?

thumbsup

sorry if this is OT.. It's not clear at all to me. Music Easel (controller) sounds not equal temperament to me.

Last edited by Reptil; 31st January 2009 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: part moved to controller thread..

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
this is a funny video
2 different personalities and synths entirely...
Cray vs Abre Ojos live set on Vimeo
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
Anybody here using a Buchla?
Me..... and David Morley...... perhaps others too.
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Me..... and David Morley...... perhaps others too.
Yeah, I'm another Chris who uses Buchla.

- C
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
thumbsupthumbsup
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How are Buchla controllers tuned? Equal temparement though I do hear other things in some examples?
The Buchla 222e controller that Alessandro is using in the video you linked to implements arbitrary tuning of the keys. This allows for any key to be any pitch, within the limits of the waveform generator's pitch resolution.

- C
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I have the Buchla touch plate controller.
Each finger plate has a continuous knob assigned to it, so you can totally make up your own scales and do micro tunings etc......
The Serge TKB can do the same.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I thought so, looking at the panel. Completely open ended.
So, if you don't mind me asking; where do you usually set the limits on a controller, does it depend on the patch with which you are trying to create something? Or do you have usual starting points, preset range on each controller?

I'm asking because I want to program my drumkat to have a larger pitch range through pressure on the pads. (If you think: It's just another drumpad? No,it's more, I can also play it by gently tapping it, with my hands, which I prefer to drumsticks. It "learns" the range automatially and has programmable velocity curves just like the MP-7. That's why I got it, in the first place. heh)
With this I can do a large pitch (or LPG cutoff) range with only a few pads.
But it shouldn't be too large since that would defeat playing it properly. (too wild)
(IOW I'm trying to program it as a Buchla controller, which should be possible, because it's equally open ended)

Even by looking at, and finding out things about a Buchla is inspirational.
thanks
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
where do you usually set the limits on a controller, does it depend on the patch with which you are trying to create something?
Yes, I set up the controller based on what I need to do with a certain patch.
Piano is not my first instrument, so I tune the knob for each plate to a specific note I want to use. Any extra notes would possibly confuse me.
Of course I can amend/change the notes at anytime while I'm working out the part.
But say I have a 5 note melody I want to record into my DAW from the Buchla. I will program only those notes using a BOSS guitar tuner and my ear.
If I'm improvising something ambient I will program a bunch of notes across the Buchla touchplates that work within the harmonic structure of the section of music. then I play them semi randomly and surprise myself.
Honestly, the non standard piano keyboard way of playing the Buchla is one the greatest things about the system.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Yes, I set up the controller based on what I need to do with a certain patch.
Piano is not my first instrument, so I tune the knob for each plate to a specific note I want to use. Any extra notes would possibly confuse me.
Of course I can amend/change the notes at anytime while I'm working out the part.
But say I have a 5 note melody I want to record into my DAW from the Buchla. I will program only those notes using a BOSS guitar tuner and my ear.
If I'm improvising something ambient I will program a bunch of notes across the Buchla touchplates that work within the harmonic structure of the section of music. then I play them semi randomly and surprise myself.
Honestly, the non standard piano keyboard way of playing the Buchla is one the greatest things about the system.
Thanks for the reply, more clear now.
πŸ“ Reply