Quantcast
bought a dot com modular - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bought a dot com modular
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bought a dot com modular

Well after deliberating on either getting a vintage analog, or a modular, I decided to down the route of a modular. I got me a Portible 22 system with a reverb module added to it. Just gonna take 6 weeks to get it, but man I cant wait to get my hands on it.

What do you guys think of the dot coms?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SEXY!!!

Your going to love it!

alexP
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats!

one of us... one of us... one of us...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Be excited, be be excited!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi- If you do not mind my asking. What did that run you?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
COngrats !..

You're ONE OF USSSSSS NOWWWWW ! !!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
Hi- If you do not mind my asking. What did that run you?

Why not just hit the site, price the 22 module system, and add a reverb unit to the cost. heh

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Congratulations! Dotcoms are great and beautiful instruments. The reverb is a nice addition.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just got news that the pound took a HUGE beating. I was tempted to go with an M5, but at 5000 usd, I was REALLY hesitant on getting it, just because I think thats way too much to pay for a closed architecture modular. Now 2700 for my dot com, to me was much more reasonable.

Now I figure I could get a M5 for 3000. At least my dot com is expandable.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What about the Euro bug in your ear? That format is blowing up at the moment. It sure is taking all of my money that I can toss at it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
- another congratulations! I have a few Synthesizers.com modules that I use to augment my primarily MOTM system... good stuff for the money.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds awesome!

i want to add .com. and motm to our voyager/fooger setup someday

please tell me how the spring reverb is ^_^

-ben
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've just bought a load of Oakley modular synths to build.

I was so impressed with their Equinox phaser that I built and I love the fact that you can buy more expensive parts for it i.e 1% tolerance resisters if you want.

I'm going to build an oak case for it and line the case with lead to stop interference getting to it like the wireless broadband r

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
you guys are dangerous people heh
congrats on taking the plunge.. any modular will enhance your setup a lot, don't hesitate to patch in "normal" synthesizers.

one tiny tiny question..... what is the best sounding (regular) oscillator in this format? (MOTM/DOTCOM)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton ➑️
I've just bought a load of Oakley modular synths to build.

I was so impressed with their Equinox phaser that I built and I love the fact that you can buy more expensive parts for it i.e 1% tolerance resisters if you want.

I'm going to build an oak case for it and line the case with lead to stop interference getting to it like the wireless broadband r

Ah the Equinox - Tony based this on the classic Small Stone Phaser - I have a few of these including the dual equinox for stereo madness. A-sys phaser is the equinox board with a different face plate ( shhhhh.. I didn't say a thing ! )
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
COOL!
I have not seen you around on the forum for a while.
No I know where you been. Working overtime to get the DOT COM.
CONGRATS!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool to see this thread. I'm thinking about starting with their entry level system.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster ➑️
You're ONE OF USSSSSS NOWWWWW ! !!
Oi!!! heh
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
you guys are dangerous people heh
congrats on taking the plunge.. any modular will enhance your setup a lot, don't hesitate to patch in "normal" synthesizers.

one tiny tiny question..... what is the best sounding (regular) oscillator in this format? (MOTM/DOTCOM)
I only have MOTM VCO's in my system, which I think are very nice - though these aren't exactly Synthesizers.com format.

5U modules are less the same than euro - 2 different widths (1.75" & 2.25") a handful of different power schemes. I will be adding at least one Synthesizers.com osc.

I think Beer has at least one of every module in every format, so he'd be the one to comment on differences.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have any of you gents tried the Zeroscillator? I see that it's also available in the Dotcom format.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous ➑️
I only have MOTM VCO's in my system, which I think are very nice - though these aren't exactly Synthesizers.com format.

5U modules are less the same than euro - 2 different widths (1.75" & 2.25") a handful of different power schemes. I will be adding at least one Synthesizers.com osc.

I think Beer has at least one of every module in every format, so he'd be the one to comment on differences.
thanks, I know they're not the same exactly, but there's a power distribution board that can feed both, so you can use these mixed in one case. The thread raised my interest. I'm considering either an SE Omega/CODE, or a MOTM system, for the warm filters and quality (moogish) oscillators. A few SE slipped through my fingers, and I like modulars A LOT. I need some DEEP deephouse basses, and my EMU MP7 isn't covering all the (moogish) bases.
Oakley also has an Oscillator, so do the "Club of the Knobs" and a couple others. I'm thinking one Oakley and on MOTM 300. But I'm not having much to go on besides youtubes and mp3s. Yeah Beermaster, spill the beans! is there a huge difference? Is an Oakley/MOTM going to sound MUCH better than an RS95?
I'm not abandoning eurorack, there's a lot of crazy good stuff in there as well. More interesting stuff with design focussed on buchla than moog.
Hey this is gearslutz! I need both! heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepia ➑️
Have any of you gents tried the Zeroscillator? I see that it's also available in the Dotcom format.
Be prepared to wait if you order one. I know someone that's waited a full year, after paying in full, and still no delivery.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
thanks, I know they're not the same exactly, but there's a power distribution board that can feed both, so you can use these mixed in one case. The thread raised my interest. I'm considering either an SE Omega/CODE, or a MOTM system, for the warm filters and quality (moogish) oscillators. A few SE slipped through my fingers, and I like modulars A LOT. I need some DEEP deephouse basses, and my EMU MP7 isn't covering all the (moogish) bases.
Oakley also has an Oscillator, so do the "Club of the Knobs" and a couple others. I'm thinking one Oakley and on MOTM 300. But I'm not having much to go on besides youtubes and mp3s. Yeah Beermaster, spill the beans! is there a huge difference? Is an Oakley/MOTM going to sound MUCH better than an RS95?
I'm not abandoning eurorack, there's a lot of crazy good stuff in there as well. More interesting stuff with design focussed on buchla than moog.
Hey this is gearslutz! I need both! heh
Yeah, MOTM-300 is what I have... also 320, which can double a bass VCO - though it doesn't track as well. I like the design and what I've heard of the Oakley... 2 kinds of PWM, IIRC. Personally, I'd stay away from COTK, from what I've heard about them. These systems look great, though:

MOS-LAB : bienvenue

- and I like the looks of these modules, especially the VCEG:

Welcome to the Lunar Experience

Actually here's a pretty comprehensive 5U list:

Muff's Modules & More :: View topic - List of 5U format manufacturers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good god. That EG is ridiculous.

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Good god. That EG is ridiculous.

alexP

... If you like that one you'll love this one. It also acts like a complex six-segment LFO and an eight stage sequencer and more....

Encore Electronics

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Originally I went with Beermasters recommendation of the MOTM 440 (SSM2040), which is if I can go by the audio examples, beautiful and very different from the gnarly Doepfer A-105 (SSM2044) (also lovely in a crusty dirty basement kind of way), and an oscillator or two, in a 19" rack to augment my eurorack.

COTK? Looking for stuff that is a bit more "moogish" and/or "orchestral" sounding (pardon my crap euphenisms) I stumbled on this:

And now I found the MOTM 410 to be a potentially perfect mate for that.

That Encore ADSR looks the business, too, as does the Moon VCADSR.

Which is handy since I then don't have to patch the scarce doepfer ADSRs (minijack - jack cables) all the time.
you can never have too many ADSRs
(thinking about modding my A-140 with patch points btw)
OTOH the eurorack utillity modules are great and very powerful when combined.

So now I'm looking at getting a double (10u high) 19".

Like Absent1 already pointed out the eurorack is exploding, hard to keep up with all the good stuff coming out this year - the bankaccount is going to take a hit for sure - I abandoned my "Wiard-lust" since it overlaps IMHO the things I can do with the Doepfer I already got (if I didn't have the Doepfer I'd go Wiard without hesitation) -

please tell me guys
"that I don't really need these 5u modules"
(Beer I'm sideways looking at you since you got everything thumbsup)
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck ➑️
... If you like that one you'll love this one. It also acts like a complex six-segment LFO and an eight stage sequencer and more....

Encore Electronics
I was going to mention Encore, but Tony doesn't seem to have any 5U modules available - temporary or discontinued? I dunno. I have a UEG and like it a lot, though.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally I went with Beermasters recommendation of the MOTM 440 (SSM2040), which is if I can go by the audio examples, beautiful and very different from the gnarly Doepfer A-105 (SSM2044) (also lovely in a crusty dirty basement kind of way), and an oscillator or two, in a 19" rack to augment my eurorack.
I don't know Doepfer filters, but the 440 is great. In fact, between the 440, 490 (904) and 420 (MS20), I really don't need any other filters - except maybe some sort SVF and/or LPG.

Quote:
COTK? Looking for stuff that is a bit more "moogish" and/or "orchestral" sounding (pardon my crap euphenisms) I stumbled on this:

And now I found the MOTM 410 to be a potentially perfect mate for that.
That Ensemble Generator sounds nice. That's ImJohn's demo. COTK has a pretty bad delivery reputation, though and Kazike was suspect of using Doepfer internals on some modules according to synthfool/KL and others. I don't have a 410, but it is good - a Juergen Haible design, as is the MAM Resonator which is similar.

Quote:
That Encore ADSR looks the business, too, as does the Moon VCADSR.

Which is handy since I then don't have to patch the scarce doepfer ADSRs (minijack - jack cables) all the time.
you can never have too many ADSRs
(thinking about modding my A-140 with patch points btw)
OTOH the eurorack utillity modules are great and very powerful when combined.

So now I'm looking at getting a double (10u high) 19".
I want one of those Moon VCEG's, when I can afford it. So far, I just have one Synthesizers.com rack frame, one Blacet Frac Rack and several MOTM frames. I have a MOTM patch panel and 1/4" to 1/8" cables to go from the 5U modules to my Blacet/Wiard and SEM's/2600's/etc. (Arp Sequencer/OB Mini Sequencer).

Quote:
Like Absent1 already pointed out the eurorack is exploding, hard to keep up with all the good stuff coming out this year - the bankaccount is going to take a hit for sure - I abandoned my "Wiard-lust" since it overlaps IMHO the things I can do with the Doepfer I already got (if I didn't have the Doepfer I'd go Wiard without hesitation) -
please tell me guys
"that I don't really need these 5u modules"
(Beer I'm sideways looking at you since you got everything thumbsup)
Man, that's a tough one... you probably don't "need" to expand beyond the euro stuff, but you may "want" to... heh
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
to the OP: Architecture, did you get your system yet?
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats on the .com modular! I've been thinking about getting one for some time, and if I don't lose my day job this month, I think I'm going to order a 22 system with added instrument interface.

I like the sound of the transistor ladder filter, but maybe the multi-filter they offer makes more sense at first, and offers more possibilities for different timbres.

I also was looking at an M5N, but 5k, I ain't got for a synth right now!
πŸ“ Reply