Quantcast
bought a dot com modular - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bought a dot com modular
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted d2a68cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture ➡️
just got news that the pound took a HUGE beating. I was tempted to go with an M5, but at 5000 usd, I was REALLY hesitant on getting it, just because I think thats way too much to pay for a closed architecture modular. Now 2700 for my dot com, to me was much more reasonable.

Now I figure I could get a M5 for 3000. At least my dot com is expandable.
Well, so is the M5, no? IIRC, it responds to the same control voltages as most other vendors. It's no more closed a system than a maxed-put Doepfer briefcase or Blacet frame, right?

Edit, that said, I hope you have a great time with your Dotcom system. It's a big step!

Last edited by Deleted d2a68cc; 18th February 2009 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Typo
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The M5 is a monster. I would go for that myself, but it's all good!
Enjoy the .com Great systems and very affordable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got word from the macbeth mailing list @ yahoo, that Ken will probably cease making M5Ns.
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I noticed that analoghaven.com doesn't have Macbeth products listed anymore. I wonder what the story is?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 ➡️
I noticed that analoghaven.com doesn't have Macbeth products listed anymore. I wonder what the story is?
it's probably easier to remove the listing from the web page that it is to get a ton of emails asking "when is xyz synth gonna be in stock?".
Deleted d2a68cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 ➡️
I asked Ken Macbeth the same question a few days ago, but he never replies to my emails. Maybe the shirtless photographs I attached put him off...
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
Originally I went with Beermasters recommendation of the MOTM 440 (SSM2040), which is if I can go by the audio examples, beautiful and very different from the gnarly Doepfer A-105 (SSM2044) (also lovely in a crusty dirty basement kind of way), and an oscillator or two, in a 19" rack to augment my eurorack.

COTK? Looking for stuff that is a bit more "moogish" and/or "orchestral" sounding (pardon my crap euphenisms) I stumbled on this:

And now I found the MOTM 410 to be a potentially perfect mate for that.

That Encore ADSR looks the business, too, as does the Moon VCADSR.

Which is handy since I then don't have to patch the scarce doepfer ADSRs (minijack - jack cables) all the time.
you can never have too many ADSRs
(thinking about modding my A-140 with patch points btw)
OTOH the eurorack utillity modules are great and very powerful when combined.

So now I'm looking at getting a double (10u high) 19".

Like Absent1 already pointed out the eurorack is exploding, hard to keep up with all the good stuff coming out this year - the bankaccount is going to take a hit for sure - I abandoned my "Wiard-lust" since it overlaps IMHO the things I can do with the Doepfer I already got (if I didn't have the Doepfer I'd go Wiard without hesitation) -

please tell me guys
"that I don't really need these 5u modules"
(Beer I'm sideways looking at you since you got everything thumbsup)
Sorry for being late on parade here. ( I don't really have everything, just a bit of this and that )

The Encore UEGs are fun with lots of possible functions but not the snappiest nor most instant EGs to use in practice - but superb for complex shapes and LFOs

The Oakley VCOs are very respectable with a very nice variable soft sync that rings nicely. The built quality is not the same as the military rugged MOTM 300 but there again the price is much much less. - Sound wise I think they're both very good. - There again the RS95 is also a great sounding VCO for all manner of things

Its a space and budget thing really.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Beermaster!
I think I'll go with one Oakley, and one Plan B M15.
Would like to get the Encore, but I think it's no longer in production.
📝 Reply