The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Doepfer Modular Complete System A-100
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I think the best thing one can do is to buy everything one module at a time. I did that with my Dot Com when I started their Entry System Plan, and the beautiful thing about getting a module every month was that it gave me lots of time to really get to know the module inside and out. When I started Eurorack, I was buying dozens of modules per month and honestly, I don't know most of these modules as well as I should. Just last night, I was patching and found the PEG I had actually forgotten I'd purchased even though I lusted so hard for one, just because I'd purchased so many modules at once I'd kind of overlooked it. If I'd have bought my modules one at a time, I would have not only known it was there, but known it more intimately.
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Collectors want to buy and sell endlessly. Musicians more often than not want to get an instrument that's immediately playable, that may just happen to be a modular synth.

Learning modulars is just like any other instrument, takes time, dedication and restraint from distractions. While the idea of having a modular synth is a synthesist dream world in reality it has become a game of buy and sell modules to check out what is new for 90% of the modular community. This is no different than people spending 10k on a guitar... only that to actually play say, a guitar, you need more skill than to setup some notes on a sequencer and press a button, so yeah, the barrier of entry is higher. Also, swapping 300$us parts seems ok, while selling and buying 5-10k instruments doesn't feel the same.. at the end of the day, it's not that different.

Setting aside the wishful thinking of believing you know what you'll want 2 years down the road, the OP wants to have a modular system in his studio. Why do people keep suggesting for him to spend his time endlessly reading forums on every single modules to get to make a system up? This is the whole point of these pre-made systems, they've been THOUGHT OUT by people that know more about these things than the average addict. At the end of the day he just needs to get a complete system to even know if it fits the workflow or even likes plugging cables like a mad men. Whatever idea of a what a modular system is will be very clear once he gets a new system, not over the long period of agonizing what to get faced with 50 different opinions. Unless yeah.. that's your thing, to plan meticulously what modules to get and over analyze the whole thing.

If I've learned anything from setting up a small eurocrack setup is that it's just much more efficient to get a module and spend time with it than to spend a lot of time reading other people's views on it. They're really coming from a different place so unless you actually know that person, you're likely wasting your time. Buying individual modules also works out better once you have a base, working setup or clear idea of what you need, not when you're starting out with no idea of how even a modular fits in your workflow.

Finally to the OP, don't you know anyone with a modular?
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Buying a full rack isn't going to leave room to add anything.
Besides I don't think it's an either/or situation.
I buy modules, I also read other people's opinions, I also watch Youtube videos showing the module off.
Information is power.
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just wanted to share my two cents on doepfer. i think a doepfer system is an excellent choice for a first new modular system. its cost effective, and doepfer offers a huge range of modules. with so many other options on the eurorack market, its easy to become overwhelmed. we have a lot of doepfer modules and love the stuff.
mini
Old 4th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minime123 ➡️
just wanted to share my two cents on doepfer. i think a doepfer system is an excellent choice for a first new modular system. its cost effective, and doepfer offers a huge range of modules. with so many other options on the eurorack market, its easy to become overwhelmed. we have a lot of doepfer modules and love the stuff.
mini
With all of the options out there - part of the fun for me as I've started getting into it is researching all the options and what they bring to the table. But I'm hellbent on researching the bejeezus out of anything before I buy it.
Old 6th July 2016

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
interesting interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAfzetse86A
Old 6th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
I'm only 30 seconds in, and I already like it. Thanks for sharing!
Old 28th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
great find

Quote:
Old 28th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I'm a huge fan of Gareth and had never seen this.
Depeche Mode's Black Celebration is in my Top 3 favorite albums ever.

📝 Reply