Quantcast
recording a 64ch gig with Vi6 - what interface for my mac? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recording a 64ch gig with Vi6 - what interface for my mac?
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Question recording a 64ch gig with Vi6 - what interface for my mac?

i have to record a 64 channel gig soon.

my idea is to rent a Vi6 console, plug it to splitter and use it as preamp and AD converter. that's pretty obvious.

however, it has MADI output - that's great, but i have never used or even seen a MADI interface. i'd need to rent one.

what are the possibilities? how do i connect them to my laptop - usb? fireware? is it stable? can it run 64 tracks with no problem?

i want to run my mac bok pro 2.33 GHz intel core 2 duo and BOOMRECORDER. probably i should use the USB disk if the interface is FW, or FW disk with USB interface.

actually i'd like to hear any advice - what can go wrong, including disk issues. i don't have a big experience in remote recording.

Old 10th March 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
RME MADIFACE? If your laptop still have ExpressCard34, of course.
Old 10th March 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Hi There, just registered to post...
I set-up an older 17"mac pro non unibody(only size with express card slot) with the RME card....piece of cake..
Fibre to/from local rack card in vi, routed direct outs from 48 channels on desk to madi outs, hardest thing was to set-up logic to record 48 tracks.

Recording was to external USB HD 2 hours of show recorded with no dramas and no stops- pres are fantastic and clear(studer)
Only concern was what looked like clocking noise on logic input meters (repeated periodic meter tapping with no signal present) No effect on recording, clear as a bell, did I say i loved the pres?

Hit play and switched input channels to second input which was routed from MADI ins, instant 'virtual soundcheck'
Old 10th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I do not have good experience recording 64 tracks from reaper to external usb 2.0 drive.
Do you have FW 800 on your mac?
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
If you could group some things to get it down to 48 channels you could use this...

DiGiCo UB MADI : Digital Console

Then you could use a firewire hard drive. I don't think a USB hard drive would handle 64 tracks of recording.
Old 11th March 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I've done this before with the built in Madi on the vi6 local rack and a rme madiface on my 17mbp. Works slick!
๐Ÿ“ Reply