Quantcast
A field recording laptop setup for a Soundfield mic - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A field recording laptop setup for a Soundfield mic
Old 20th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
We've been using the SPS200 on a production with the Sound Devices 788T SSD for several weeks now, recording audio for a documentary film project in Afghanistan. This is using the Rycote option on a boom, jamming time code to a Canon C300 camera.

We record everything with the SPS200 in the inverted orientation, keeping it near and above the camera, SoundField emblem face turned in the same direction as the lens.

I'm also recording a mono directional track with a Neumann KMR81i mounted on the camera itself as a safety.

The tests I did in the USA before leaving were really phenomenal - very atmospheric, realistic soundscapes - listening in a studio and decoding to 5.1.

I think it's absolutely worth the money and the effort if you're recording for surround reproduction.

This is Jamshid, the local recordist, rocking the standard Rycote option for the SoundField SPS200 supplied through Dale Pro Audio - with the mic in inverted orientation so the mic is vertical with the head pointing downward during recording. Having the mic inside this shape of wind cover makes it easy to see how the mic is oriented and which direction it's facing even inside the Rycote. Not sure how easy that would be inside a ball enclosure, but that could also be fine. Anyway, you can always rotate the sound field in post:

Old 20th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Rycote Baby Ball Gag for Oktava, so it crossed my mind to try that on SPS200: with some coaxing it fits! It is maby 1mm too tight, but better that way than wobbly. It is more compact than other wind protections systems, I believe.
Old 20th March 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus ➡️
I have the Rycote Baby Ball Gag for Oktava, so it crossed my mind to try that on SPS200: with some coaxing it fits! It is maby 1mm too tight, but better that way than wobbly. It is more compact than other wind protections systems, I believe.
Rycote do a special Baby Ball Gag for the SPS200 that fits perfectly - this is what I use.

If you already have a BBG, Rycote may be able to supply only the bottom bit to fit the SPS200 if you ask.
📝 Reply