Quantcast
New interface purchase, ~$3000 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New interface purchase, ~$3000
Old 19th September 2021
Gear Head

Hi. If you increase your budget to 4 thousand, then you can buy rme ufx + and rme 12mic. Convenience is that you throw 12mic on stage (up to 3 pieces in a cascade) and connect it via fiber optic to rme ufx + in the control room (by madi). You control the mix from Totalmix, the recording goes to a laptop + hard drive or a USB flash drive on ufx +, for reliability. It works like a clock, the sound is great. When more than 12 rme 12mic preamps are needed, 4 ufx + preamps can be added. One drawback, 12mic does not have analog outputs and control of preamplifiers does not work through totalmix (perhaps this function will be completed, since it is technologically inherent). To remotely control the preamps, I have to run the cat5e or cat6 cable for AVB, then the controls work.
Motu stage16 is also an interesting option. When I updated three years ago, I bought stage16 first. The sound was great, but I had no luck, after about 20 minutes of use, it began to click as if it could not find synchronization and the recording was interrupted. I returned her store, they sent her to the Motu service, but they could not quickly solve the problem. After 3 days of waiting, I decided to pay extra and go with rme.
Good luck
Old 8th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Still having nothing but great experience with this latest generation of Motu AVB stuff personally, on Mac and on PC. Don’t know why it acquired a bad reputation but I don’t know that it’s (still) deserved. Only hang up I’ve had is that the thunderbolt connection doesn’t work with my 2015 MacBook Pro in bootcamp. That’s an easy enough thing to work around.
My MOTU Ultralite gen 1 just randomly died on me one day, and I bought it thinking it would be "future proof." Shame on me I guess.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremusound ➡️
Soundwise I‘m more than satisfied with the B16 boxes. On par with the UFX+.
As I understand, you are using B16 for recording. What you can say about using B16 as a FOH mixer for a live show? (without MADI and ADB). I have heard several reviews about the instability and unsuitability of the software for live shows... I'm trying to choose between Behringer XR16/Midas MR16 (good and stable soft, good DSP, but cheap AD/DA) and MOTU Stage B16 (Good converters but I fear for the stability on stage during the concert..)

Quote:
I posted a video clip of a Mahler orchestral recording on FB and Alan Meyerson commented it with „Sounds amazing!!“.
How to find this video for listening?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadium ➡️
As I understand, you are using B16 for recording. What you can say about using B16 as a FOH mixer for a live show? (without MADI and ADB). I have heard several reviews about the instability and unsuitability of the software for live shows... I'm trying to choose between Behringer XR16/Midas MR16 (good and stable soft, good DSP, but cheap AD/DA) and MOTU Stage B16 (Good converters but I fear for the stability on stage during the concert..)

How to find this video for listening?
https://youtu.be/Fo8aTU7d-SM

The Mahler went thru the MOTU mixer (plus a Jünger D*AP LM4 outboard device) but i didn‘t touch the ‚faders‘ during the recording. So i cannot give any reports about the useability of the MOTU mixer for live mixing. My impression is that there is a small lag due to using the web browser as the surface instead of a proprietary app.
It is worth mentioning that the MOTU mixer cannot be controlled via MIDI, only via OSC. Which is sad.

Last edited by bremusound; 1 week ago at 09:40 AM..
Here for the gear

there is an interesting, unusual, spread placement of players!
And yes, sounds very good!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadium ➡️
there is an interesting, unusual, spread placement of players!
And yes, sounds very good!
Thanks! Yes, it's a COVID 2020 placement.... one of the first video clips i made with my orchestra (before i had PTZ cameras)

Another clip:

Also recorded with the MOTU Stage B16
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
https://youtu.be/Fo8aTU7d-SM
The Mahler went thru the MOTU mixer
Really top job.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, it's a COVID 2020 placement.... one of the first video clips i made with my orchestra (before i had PTZ cameras)

Another clip:

Also recorded with the MOTU Stage B16
Many thanks for the recording--it sounds great! This is making me want to invest in the MOTU system even more. How do you like the M64 as a control room unit?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuba_noise ➡️
Many thanks for the recording--it sounds great! This is making me want to invest in the MOTU system even more. How do you like the M64 as a control room unit?
Thanks!
Well, the M64 is great for configuring all AVB devices connected, and i have zero problems using it for transferring the audio data into the computer, but it has only a headphone jack so i mostly use my nice little RME Madiface Pro with it, connected via MADI optical. The RME has talkback capabilities and a pair of analog outputs with a physical volume knob.
You could use a MOTU 828es or 8Pre-ES instead of the M64+RME combo, both have talkback and lots of I/O.
With the M64, i sometimes also use the (19“ / 1RU) RME UFX+ instead of the Madiface. The UFX+ has the DUREC function, which gives you the ability to record all the MADI inputs onto a USB stick. You’ll get talkback and other control room functions as well (there’s a nice little remote unit, the ARC USB).
📝 Reply