Quantcast
Moving: need 24 space ATA rack - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving: need 24 space ATA rack
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Moving: need 24 space ATA rack

Hello! I plan on moving to Spain in the next year and will need to pack my DAW and studio rack into a 24 space ATA shockmount rack. Not sure how I will be shipping it(freight or plane). Any advice from those out there who have undergone similar scenarios would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Ship rack pieces boxed. The added weight can damage everything if shipped loaded. Would you feel comfortable seeing that rack dropped by an aircraft loader?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
maybe you wanna get in touch with one of the larger rental companies of live sound equipmenr: they have gear shipped across the pond regularly - well, unless there's a pandemic...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is a screen shot from a quick online search... based on shipping a "large case, 100 pounds".

Air Freight (JAL) from Miami to Madrid - $5,069 USD 7-12 Days

Sailing (Yusen Logistics) Port-to-port - $1,221 USD 41 Days

That's chunks of change, that there is. And you'll likely want to add suitable insurance against all risks. Good luck!

If it's a single "rolling" rack, you might also investigate booking passage on a ocean liner and check as baggage. It's a wonderful trip... My wife and I did QM2 NYC to Southampton in summer, 2010 to videotape and record the final International Church Music Festival at Coventry, with one suitcase (clothing), a large foamed Pelican HDV video camera case (3xSony Z1-series), a larger foamed Pelican case with a small mixer, cabling, and tape stock), and a large, tall, SKB golf club case holding three Manfrotto video tripods/heads, and two 10.5' Manfrotto lighting stands with 5/8 adapters for stereo bars. Mics, headphones, computer, and small accessories were carried in my backpack. If memory serves, passage was in the neighborhood of $1500 USD each... for 5 days of cabin and food in a floating 5-star hotel.

If I recall correctly, passage included 4 "suitcases" for the two of us. Additional cases may have been $200 or so extra to the allotted suitcases, but it was nowhere near the above $1200 for 100 pounds and 41 days to ship as freight. I even was able to record the jazz trio (via Logic on a Mac, 8040s and M296 into a D.A.V. BG8 into Apogee Ensemble FW in the main lounge two evenings, just for fun... and to get a good grasp of working with what was a new system for me that year.

Those were 5 of the best days of our lives... no rush, no hassle, always something to see or hear or do, and fabulous relaxation. I enjoy flying (used to, anyway...) but this was the way to go. Check it out.

HB
Attached Thumbnails
Moving: need 24 space ATA rack-screen-shot-2021-06-09-10.57.43-pm.png  

Last edited by hbphotoav; 1 week ago at 05:55 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Greetings and salutations, Armando!

Congratulations on your move to Spain.

IMHO, I would not place my gear into a 24 space road case even if it's in an ATA shock-mounted rack. It's just too tall, and the weight of the case alone will be insane. We have heavy-duty 16 space road cases that weight 165 pounds empty. For us, 16 space road cases are the tallest sized case I would consider shipping unless, it's on tour with a reputable shipping company that knows our business.

I would either ship the equipment ahead in heavy-duty cardboard shipping boxes with plenty of hard, and soft foam, and bubble-wrap. I would then place these carefully packed boxes on a pallet, and have it shipped via reputable air freight company. It's your best bet on many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando ➡️
Hello! I plan on moving to Spain in the next year and will need to pack my DAW and studio rack into a 24 space ATA shockmount rack. Not sure how I will be shipping it(freight or plane). Any advice from those out there who have undergone similar scenarios would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️

I would either ship the equipment ahead in heavy-duty cardboard shipping boxes with plenty of hard, and soft foam, and bubble-wrap. I would then place these carefully packed boxes on a pallet, and have it shipped via reputable air freight company. It's your best bet on many levels.
This is the ONLY way to do this in terms of costs and protection to your gear.

In fact, it would probably be way more economical to sell (or even give away) your racks and get new ones from Amazon in Spain. Just package and ship the gear.

Insurance will be your biggest expense and worth every penny.

D.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Packing everything in separate boxes and shipping separately also helps to contain the damage should one of your boxes be lost or damaged in transit. You'll lose one piece of gear, instead of the entire rack.

The tours that go overseas have specialize logistics companies and everything travels contained in the trailers or CONEX boxes that it's packed in by the tour or the logistics company.

For the super important stuff (high end mics or other electronics, pack it in a Pelican type case and either carry on or check with you on the airline.
📝 Reply