Old 26th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Discontinued

https://tascam.com/int/product/dr-100mkiii/top
Old 29th June 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I’m sorry to see this is discontinued, albeit a long running product, so it is not surprising. I use mine primarily as a bit bucket from my m2d2, and alternatives with a digital input are considerably more expensive. I didn’t see any indications of a mkIV on the way either.
Old 28th August 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath ➡️
I’m sorry to see this is discontinued, albeit a long running product, so it is not surprising. I use mine primarily as a bit bucket from my m2d2, and alternatives with a digital input are considerably more expensive. I didn’t see any indications of a mkIV on the way either.
To bring this back a bit,

I've been looking everywhere for a portable recorder with a decent quality preamp + mics and low noise. I would be using it with its internal mics specifically.

The Sony PCM-D100 and Tascam DR-100mk3 both met this requirement.

The price of the Sony was above my comfort zone but the Tascam DR-100mk3 seemed perfect for what I was looking for. Both products are discontinued.

I checked out audio previews of some of the current products and they are nowhere near the quality of the two mentioned recorders.

Am I to understand there is -nothing- like this in the market today?
Old 28th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtisLugo ➡️
To bring this back a bit,
Am I to understand there is -nothing- like this in the market today?
Looks like it.
Old 30th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
New stock is still available from Amazon and a few other places. None of the current handheld Tascam recorders have specs on par with the 100mkIII
https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-DR-100.../dp/B01I54S1S0
Old 30th August 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic ➡️
New stock is still available from Amazon and a few other places. None of the current handheld Tascam recorders have specs on par with the 100mkIII

Unfortunately, I'm in Europe (this one seems to be in the US?) but I'm considering my options.. I might even be willing to pay a hundred bucks for shipping+customs from across the pond just to get my hands on one.

(Though the site does say "in stock soon" which sometimes means it's all gone)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I reached out to Tascam sales and just to let folks here know;

"sorry to say, but the Tascam DR-100MK3 is already finally discontinued and sold out. Right now there is no direct successor planned."

This is a real bummer for me. Still can't believe noone has stepped in to fill that market gap, especially since portable recorders seem to be all the rage now.

I'm going to have to consider external mikes, although to be honest I'm not sure if that's going to work out at all. What I had planned (acoustic instrument/nature sounds, high quality/low noise, maximum portability) kind of required this thing to be as low-treshold as possible. The least amount of set-up hassle possible.

What would you guys recommend as the next best thing - i.e. trying to aim for a similar price range with somewhat similar-ish specs but if I were to resort to external microphones. Perhaps something like,

Tascam DR-40X + 2x Rode NT5 ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What I had planned (acoustic instrument/nature sounds, high quality/low noise, maximum portability) kind of required this thing to be as low-treshold as possible. The least amount of set-up hassle possible.
With nature recording, wind protection is key: a fluffy cover for a handheld recorder is seldom a great solution. Ditto holding the recorder in your hand. With acoustic instrument recording some sort of mic stand (even for a handheld recorder) is pretty essential. Having some distance from mics to recorder in both cases is pretty useful. So, in essence, I'd query whether a handheld recorder is really high quality, low noise and low hassle.

My smallest rig for nature/ambience for some years has been a Sony M10 with a pair of Clippy mics: far more flexible and portable than the larger handheld recorders. Next step up from that for me is a Mixpre-3 (very small) with mics in Baby Ball gags (omni spaced pair or ORTF or NOS cardioids) or a full blimp (omnis end to end, or a mid-side pair): pretty portable, with the main hassle being a stand. OK I have tried recording with everything already set up in a bag (a Think Tank Retrospective 5), with a couple of mics in Rode WS8 windshields sticking out the ends, but this is far inferior to using a stand.

It's always a balance between convenience and quality/flexibility/wind protection, and what works for one doesn't work for another: only experience will tell, so good luck!

Cheers,

Roland
Gear Guru
The DR-70 works pretty well here for me. I use AKG 460 mics into it. Results are very good, noise very low.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
The DR-70 works pretty well here for me. I use AKG 460 mics into it. Results are very good, noise very low.
Is that the stock standard version...or have you modified the DR-70D's mic preamps for better performance ?

It's a pity they didn't produce an 8 or 12 channel version of the same unit...it might have given Sound Devices MixPre10 or the Zoom F8 a run for their money ?
Or alternatively the ability to slave 2 or 3 DR70D's together via timecode/Wordclock
https://tascam.com/int/product/dr-70d/top

Last edited by studer58; 30th August 2021 at 05:54 PM..
Old 30th August 2021
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath ➡️
What cable do you use out of the m2d2 into the mk100 III or its dongle? Anyone sell them online?
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Is that the stock standard version...or have you modified the DR-70D's mic preamps for better performance ?
Yes, I replaced the MC33078 playback opamps (3) and the two mic pre opamps (5532's) with LME49720's, all SOIC. The 22 uf low leakage el phantom blocking caps were bypassed with old tiny Wima .01 uf MKP-2's that will clear.

I would probably use OPA1612's today, lower power consumption, less THD and noise. Those mics are also hot-rodded with new electronics and no output transformers, they are spectacular.

The DR-70 is 4 channels and rather handy to have in the tool box.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiJeff ➡️
What cable do you use out of the m2d2 into the mk100 III or its dongle? Anyone sell them online?
I use an 1/8” trs to ta3 that I made myself, but there is one available from b&h that works as well. It is tip ring sleeve on the 1/8” end, even though only the tip and sleeve make connection.
Old 31st August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If we're talking other recorder recommendations, I have to give my strongest possible endorsement for the Zoom F6. It is compact, 6 preamps, multi-ADC 32-bit float (no level setting or limiters needed), runs forever off a 6600 mAh NP-F battery, dead quiet preamps... I could go on. It's been an absolute game-changer for me as a performing musician not having to ever think about level setting. Sometimes I crank the faders to max just for fun and the resulting files are peaking around +60 dBFS, all recoverable in post.

It is also much cheaper than the Sound Devices MixPre-II recorders, with comparable performance. The one area where SD has it over Zoom is max input level. The Zoom F6 max input is +4 dBu mic, +24 dBu line, whereas the MixPre-II units are +14 dBu mic and +28 dBu line. In theory, you could overload the F6 inputs with very sensitive mics recording very loud sources. In practice though, the F6 has a LINE+PHANTOM input setting so you can have +24 dBu headroom with condenser mics if you are recording ridiculously loud things.
Old 31st August 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Some really good insight here.

As for myself, the 'handheld and relatively slim' form factor is still probably the most natural choice for me.

If I don't manage to find a DR-100mk3 anywhere - it looks like I'm left with,

Tascam DR-40x
Zoom H4n Pro
Zoom H5

...as the price tag should stay within 200-300 (otherwise I'd have to cheap out on the mics...), it would need to be almost pocket-size (=fits in a compact camera bags side pocket -size -ish) and have XLR inputs for two condenser mics.

I hate excessive menu diving and don't like extra gimmick-features, just a fast, clean way to capture relatively good quality stereo wavs at home and during nature walks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The one area where SD has it over Zoom is max input level.
The F6 is indeed great value and, as well as minor differences (inc. form factor), the biggest difference is surely that - with the Musician plugin - the Mixpre series (both original and II) is that they can do overdubbing. Irrelevant to many, no doubt, but for those who need this there are few (any other?) such good quality field recorders that can do this (obviously many of the handheld recorders can).

Cheers,

Roland
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Some really good insight here.

As for myself, the 'handheld and relatively slim' form factor is still probably the most natural choice for me.

If I don't manage to find a DR-100mk3 anywhere - it looks like I'm left with,

Tascam DR-40x
Zoom H4n Pro
Zoom H5

...as the price tag should stay within 200-300 (otherwise I'd have to cheap out on the mics...), it would need to be almost pocket-size (=fits in a compact camera bags side pocket -size -ish) and have XLR inputs for two condenser mics.

I hate excessive menu diving and don't like extra gimmick-features, just a fast, clean way to capture relatively good quality stereo wavs at home and during nature walks.
Plenty of gimmicks on these (esp. H4n Pro)! If you want simplicity for recording with a pair of external stereo mics (and it sounds from your previous post that you are still thinking of this), whatever recorder you get should have a simple way of stereo linking, so that you can apply the exact same gain to each mic: my memory and a quick check of the manuals suggests that this might not the case - I hope I am wrong.

Cheers,

Roland
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 ➡️
Plenty of gimmicks on these (esp. H4n Pro)! If you want simplicity for recording with a pair of external stereo mics (and it sounds from your previous post that you are still thinking of this), whatever recorder you get should have a simple way of stereo linking, so that you can apply the exact same gain to each mic: my memory and a quick check of the manuals suggests that this might not the case - I hope I am wrong.

Cheers,

Roland

Problem is, the ultimate product doesn't seem to exist.. So some kind of compromise may lie ahead..

But I do appreciate the pointers and will need to look into this a bit more before making the decision. If Zoom H4N Pro is particularly 'gimmicky' then yep, I might just steer away from that.

One of the uses for this thing would be to record an upright piano (I know, tricky..) and a kantele (Finnish trad. instrument) so there are some variables to get right. Low-treshold, hassle-free recording would be super important.. I use a regular studio for the usual stuff, but this scenario should all happen away from the studio room, without any of the time consuming setting up of mics each time etc.

Drooling over a Superlux S502 at the moment (for acoustic instruments / piano) - with the idea of simply settling for the less-capable internal microphones of the recorder while roaming outdoors and using the external mic with the acoustic instruments.

The outdoor sounds would be mostly used as part of music so even though I'm not happy about the idea of a high noise floor there either, it's not -as- big of a priority as the acoustic instruments are.

I'll get there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...Drooling over a Superlux S502 at the moment (for acoustic instruments / piano) - with the idea of simply settling for the less-capable internal microphones of the recorder while roaming outdoors and using the external mic with the acoustic instruments...
There is quite a bit about the S502 here on Remote Possibilities forum. Bottom line: they can be quite useful for the price IF you manage to get a good example; quality control is quite variable. @ studer58 has had success with his mic, but I believe he had to go through a couple of them before getting a 'good one'.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
There is quite a bit about the S502 here on Remote Possibilities forum. Bottom line: they can be quite useful for the price IF you manage to get a good example; quality control is quite variable. @ studer58 has had success with his mic, but I believe he had to go through a couple of them before getting a 'good one'.
Yes, I had a capsule diaphragm go hissy/sputtery and ordered a replacement from Superlux...which fixed the problem.

Many have experienced this, so I suspect factory quality control is not great. When working, it's a great mic...mine has been stable for 12 years....but I wouldn't take it outdoors (even in a Rycote windscreen cage) where humidity might play havoc with the capsules. It's a great all-purpose indoor mic however.

The MkII version was also plagued with quality control issues, and I believed was pulled from sale because of this...so search out the original version, which is still being made and sold.

It's almost a case of "buy 2, expect 1 to fail at some point, and use the other as a spare parts donor" You might get several years of both working ok, before this is necessary....and the replacement capsules are inexpensive (less than $50) if you just buy a single S502 unit
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Problem is, the ultimate product doesn't seem to exist.
Handheld recorders are inherently compromised: all have poor or restrictive onboard mic options; small and truly pocketable ones (e.g. the rightly popular Sony M10; and successors such as the Sony A10) lack XLRs; recorders with XLRs are not very pocketable; and all such recorders have less than ideal controls and interfaces.

If, as per your example, recording an upright piano on location with a Superlux S502 (or any of your other mics: you refer to having a studio), this involves a stand and cables: plugging into a handheld recorder might reduce the hassle vs an interface and laptop from your studio, but just gives you a fiddly device with compromises such as stereo linking. A decent field recorder is the 'ultimate' and already existent solution: at the lowest budget end of things, which is what you are after, I'd far rather use a Tascam DR70D (as already suggested) than any of the handhelds.

If wanting a handy device to capture ad hoc sounds on 'nature walks', without the hassle of a mic stand etc., then you have three options:

1) a field-recorder designed for bag use set up ready for immediate use, with SDC mics projecting from either end of the bag or in a blimp with pistol grip carried on top of the bag ready for use, or with a small stereo PIP lav pair clipped to the bag or person and ready to be deployed however you wish. Affordable lav-style mics well-suited to this use Primo EM272 capsules, such as the Clippys made by Micbooster or the Lom Usi Pro (these have 10mm diaphragms and lowish self-noise). At the lowest budget a Tascam DR70D would again do fine for the bag-friendly recorder.

2) a truly pocketable device such as the Sony A10, or, cheaper, the Roland R-07: the compromise of the inbuilt mics - if an issue - can be addressed by a small stereo PIP pair as described above.

3) your proposed chunkier XLR-equipped handheld recorder in a bag, to be fished out as required. Again this could be used with a small stereo PIP pair.

The large XLR-equipped handheld recorder seems very much the compromise in both scenarios. Had one years ago (the original H4) and found that was very much the case, and quickly moved on.

But, evidently, your choice!

Cheers and good luck,

Roland
Old 31st August 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Technical specs and price are valuable considerations... but basic specs don't equal known quality. There have been MANY sound comparison tests between Zoom F8 and Sound Devices recorders. I have never heard one where the Zoom (or Tascam) sounded as good or better under professional scrutiny.

Here's just one example....
https://soundcloud.com/bhproaudio/zoomf8
https://soundcloud.com/bhproaudio/sounddevices-688

But... let's face it. Economics can rise above pure sound quality for many making a purchase. Zoom and Tascam products do a mighty fine job for the price... but let's not fool ourselves into considering them equal to top tier equipment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's been argued that the Mixpre series of Sound Devices recorders, being built to a lower budget market, have sacrificed some of the audio quality of the earlier 700 series, while adding more 'features' ?
Old 31st August 2021
Gear Guru
Using high end mics makes all the difference here. There are no built in substitutes for high quality mics, plus you get to place them where you want. A great mic can partly overcome a weak recorder but a crappy mic will sound like crap in a great recorder.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
The MkII version was also plagued with quality control issues, and I believed was pulled from sale because of this...so search out the original version, which is still being made and sold.
Good tip, cheers

Quote:
If, as per your example, recording an upright piano on location with a Superlux S502 (or any of your other mics: you refer to having a studio), this involves a stand and cables: plugging into a handheld recorder might reduce the hassle vs an interface and laptop
Yep, got a kid on the way - and indeed, the whole idea was to step away from the studio a bit and try for a different, more 'lightweight' if you will, approach for a change.

--> so before I realized the DR-100MK3 is sold out - I absolutely adored the newfound idea of just carrying this little box with a rec button and built-in mics - after all the years of knob fiddling (and back ache) in the studio

So I'm trying to avoid complicated solutions with stands, cables etc. even though it now looks like I will need them to some extent, as to not drift too far away from the utopian thought of doing this project without having to connect cables back and forth etc

Quote:
then you have three options:
Great input. Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman ➡️
basic specs don't equal known quality. There have been MANY sound comparison tests between Zoom F8 and Sound Devices recorders. I have never heard one where the Zoom (or Tascam) sounded as good or better under professional scrutiny.
Indeed, way above my budget. Solid pointers in general though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Using high end mics makes all the difference here. There are no built in substitutes for high quality mics, plus you get to place them where you want. A great mic can partly overcome a weak recorder but a crappy mic will sound like crap in a great recorder.
Makes total sense
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, I had a capsule diaphragm go hissy/sputtery and ordered a replacement from Superlux...which fixed the problem.

Many have experienced this, so I suspect factory quality control is not great. When working, it's a great mic...mine has been stable for 12 years....but I wouldn't take it outdoors (even in a Rycote windscreen cage) where humidity might play havoc with the capsules. It's a great all-purpose indoor mic however.

It's almost a case of "buy 2, expect 1 to fail at some point, and use the other as a spare parts donor" You might get several years of both working ok, before this is necessary....and the replacement capsules are inexpensive (less than $50) if you just buy a single S502 unit
The mkII is still available (thomann) - physically an even more precise copy of the real german one. I had one, but returned it because the capsules were misaligned and Thomann couldn’t garantee to ship a correct one.
Old 16th September 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So yeah, this turned out to be a great tip. It seemed to be out of stock everywhere, but I managed to get one shipped overseas. It really seems to be a great device. Has that sturdy old school feel to it, no touch screens, cheesy looking decorations or endless menu diving, one look at the thing and you instantly know what everything does.

Now I just need to get over the fact there's a nasty dust spec right on the underside of the screen which I will never be able to get out.. Argh.. One of these things

Anyway. While it's awesome to have the external mic inputs close at hand whenever needed, I have to say I'm really surprised how nice and clean the internal UNI's sound. I was expecting them to be thinner and I was expecting the high end to sound more artificial somehow, but to my ears at least it sounds really good.

The rattling buttons are a downside, but I'll live.

Shall hope Tascam continues the legacy with another similar product in the future and it won't be all space ship designs and touch screens.
Old 17th November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So yeah, this turned out to be a great tip. It seemed to be out of stock everywhere, but I managed to get one shipped overseas. It really seems to be a great device. Has that sturdy old school feel to it, no touch screens, cheesy looking decorations or endless menu diving, one look at the thing and you instantly know what everything does.

Now I just need to get over the fact there's a nasty dust spec right on the underside of the screen which I will never be able to get out.. Argh.. One of these things

Anyway. While it's awesome to have the external mic inputs close at hand whenever needed, I have to say I'm really surprised how nice and clean the internal UNI's sound. I was expecting them to be thinner and I was expecting the high end to sound more artificial somehow, but to my ears at least it sounds really good.

The rattling buttons are a downside, but I'll live.

Shall hope Tascam continues the legacy with another similar product in the future and it won't be all space ship designs and touch screens.
What about this?
https://www.tascam.eu/en/portacapture_x8
Old 23rd November 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpa ➡️
As an all in one type of device it looks rather sharp. But out in the field? Not too sure about that. One wrong drop and that screen is toast, thus the whole recorder defunct as well - I doubt they've used gorilla glass as that would have been a major marketing plug.
📝 Reply