Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov Mastering Compressor
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

My bet, you opened your wrapped gifts well before the big day 😜

Writing manuals, can’t be to far away
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

peak and rms release: i am a bit unsecure how to set them in a mastering situation. i can hear peak release but have a hard time setting rms release. crest influences both as well.

i am activating delta and than i try to set peak & rms release and crest so, that the delta signal „grooves“ to the tempo of the song. is that how you‘re using it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use the Crest Factor param at min (peak) and max (rms) to set both releases, then find the right balance in between.
Delta is great to double-check the resulting setting.
The dual release is stunning to tailor the compression, and super fast to dial once you’re used to it.
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin ➡️
peak and rms release: i am a bit unsecure how to set them in a mastering situation. i can hear peak release but have a hard time setting rms release. crest influences both as well.

i am activating delta and than i try to set peak & rms release and crest so, that the delta signal „grooves“ to the tempo of the song. is that how you‘re using it?
Almost every hardware mastering compressor is RMS. Use Kotelnikov with just RMS for a track and get it perfect; and then slowly fade in peak to see if it helps.

In a mastering context I probably have my peak side chain get triggered a few times per album. It’s a much more handy tool for mixing
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin ➡️

I agree with the others to use the Crest and delta functions to key in on sounds. One more tip: I think that it's easier to control the peak and rms settings by running two instances and controlling them separately. Observing the outcomes distinctly, makes for easier learning. I haven't tried two separate instances vs one combined instance - perhaps there's a lesson to be learned there. (sounds like I know what I'll do this afternoon!)

Also, this was a bit surprising to me, but the "Auto RMS" preset [below] is quite good on some material. It surprised me because of how fast the RMS setting is. I would have guessed that the RMS was set too fast. Yet, when working together, they often sound great.

Here are some settings from Holger:

(Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tx6SRCwWug
https://www.centerforlydteknik.dk/download/pdf/kotelnikov-ge-compressor-presets.pdf)

Auto RMS - Inspired by the auto RMS mode in the Foote Control Systems P3S ME

<TDRKotelnikovGE thresholdParam="-19.0" peakCrestParam="15.4" softKneeParam="1.5" maxGRParam="2.0" maxGROnParam="Off" ratioParam="1.3" attackParam="1.0" releasePeakParam="10" releaseRMSParam="20" inertiaParam="Off" makeUpParam="0.0" dryMixParam="off" dryWetParam="0.0" dryMixModeParam="Dry Mix" outGainParam="0.0" keyHPFrequencyParam="74" keyHPSlopeParam="6.0" keyStereoDiffParam="55" keyStereoLinkParam="Advanced" keyStereoBalanceParam="Center" fdrVisibleParam="Off" fdrActiveParam="Off" fdrTypeParam="Bell A" fdrFrequencyParam="1000" fdrAmountParam="0" yingParam="Off" yangParam="Off" deltaParam="Off" bypassParam="Off" equalLoudParam="Off" qualityParam="Insane" modeParam="Stereo" grDispScaleParam="0" grDispModeParam="Gain Reduction" sidechainModeParam="INT SC"/>
Lives for gear

thanks for the tipps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow ... just found out all my TDR plugins have Updates
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The new Mac installers are great, very nice work Fabien.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
The new Mac installers are great, very nice work Fabien.
Thank you!

BTW we're about to launch a new TDR software/installation/library manager which greatly simplifies workload during installation, updates, purchase, upgrades and trouble-shooting. One can then simply install this manager, login (or not, or remain fully offline) and do whatever he likes with a click of a button. E.g. install historical versions with a single click, check personal upgrade offers, access additional info, etc.

We make sure privacy is well respected (no sniffing, no shady calls home), and will document the process that's rattling under the hood (i.e. what exactly is being scanned and touched). This application will be fully optional of course, but certainly a great help when owning more than 2 or 3 licenses (or freeware).

Beta will start within a few weeks, we're almost feature complete and it feels really great in use - never has been updating and de-installing and installing again so much fun. .
📝 Reply