The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
An inexpensive speaker tweak that works!
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore ➡️
I gotta say, i finally got around to putting some sorbothane domes between my speakers and my stands, and i don't notice a difference in the sound.

Maybe i don't have a good enough ear for it. Or maybe i got the placement wrong (my speakers are heavier at the back than the front, so maybe the perfect balance is a bit touchy?). But i know this much, it's not a tweak that moves the needle much at all.

Bit annoying because i spent $60 AUD on it (including delivery from America) I would've been fine without it. Oh well, it's there now.
Did you re-shoot the room [REW] and compare ?
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

That’s odd. They made a pronounced difference in the upper bass in my room, and I wouldn’t consider my ears or room particularly exceptional.
Are you sure you have the proper weight rating?
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore ➡️
I gotta say, i finally got around to putting some sorbothane domes between my speakers and my stands, and i don't notice a difference in the sound.

Maybe i don't have a good enough ear for it. Or maybe i got the placement wrong (my speakers are heavier at the back than the front, so maybe the perfect balance is a bit touchy?). But i know this much, it's not a tweak that moves the needle much at all.

Bit annoying because i spent $60 AUD on it (including delivery from America) I would've been fine without it. Oh well, it's there now.
You maybe one of the few that has not noticed a difference. There could be other things in your room that are "flawed" when it comes to the sound your speakers are producing.

As to the balance there are a couple of threads here explaining how to balance your speakers.

Best of luck!
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

I'm building new stands for my Tylers MM5x, someone use sorbothane with MM5x?
Old 20th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I use isolate it sorbothane pads with my MM5Xs. I put the pads on the bottom of the cabinets so that they ‘float’ on the standard stands that Ty made. Big noticeable improvement to me in my room.
Old 21st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick b ➡️
I use isolate it sorbothane pads with my MM5Xs. I put the pads on the bottom of the cabinets so that they ‘float’ on the standard stands that Ty made. Big noticeable improvement to me in my room.
Can you tell me precisely the reference of sorbothane you use? Have you noticed a change with time?
Thanks!
Old 21st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassar Audio Lab ➡️
Can you tell me precisely the reference of sorbothane you use? Have you noticed a change with time?
Thanks!
I use 4x 30 duro pads per speaker, one in each corner. Haven’t noticed any change in sound over the year I’ve had them. You should have at least one person help you with the application as the speakers are heavy and it takes a little effort to evenly balance the speakers. I’ve noticed a few degree shift in speaker focus over time but it only bothers the ocd in me.
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I would really recommend IsolateIt sorbothane pad for any monitors.
I bought duro 30 bumpers to isolate my flush mounted speakers from their support.
The visco-elastic caracteristics are the best way to stop vibrations transmission.
I assume the efficiency is better if placed between your speaker and a support that is likely to vibrate itself. On a desk or a shelf you'll hear much more difference than on a concrete pedestal (it's an example).
Shipped to Europe is a bit expensive but fast, and people at Isolate it are attentive to its customers (my personal experience) ;-)

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And He's back !

Just re-read this valuable thread.

OK ... I've a situation to prepare for ... I've 2 pairs of Monitors that are in storage [can't get to quite yet].

They are [vintage 1980s] Yamaha NS-10m and Auratone 5C supers. [both are passive].

Since I can't get to them to weight ... might any of the 'Gurus' know what Sorbothane 'hemis' I should order ??

Thanks !
📝 Reply