WaveLab 8.5 announced at the Musik Messe 2014 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WaveLab 8.5 announced at the Musik Messe 2014
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
WaveLab 8.5 announced at the Musik Messe 2014

Hello all,

Today we have announced the upcoming version of WaveLab 8.5 which will be available in June 2014.

The top features of this release will be:
- Watch folders
- Encoder Checker
- Multi-format rendering
- AAC Encoder

Please follow the link bellow for an exclusive preview:

What's new in WaveLab 8.5

Best regards,
GN
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo N ➑️
Hello all,

Today we have announced the upcoming version of WaveLab 8.5 which will be available in June 2014.

The top features of this release will be:
- Watch folders
- Encoder Checker
- Multi-format rendering
- AAC Encoder

Please follow the link bellow for an exclusive preview:

What's new in WaveLab 8.5

Best regards,
GN
Thanks!

Can you please tell us: Will clip plugin windows be able to permanently float (always be displayed) above/on top of the RTA/FFT/PPM/etc windows again? (as was always the case up until Wavelab 6, but was lost ever since Wavelab 7)
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
AAC Encoder on both PC and Mac version?
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➑️
Thanks!

Can you please tell us: Will clip plugin windows be able to permanently float (always be displayed) above/on top of the RTA/FFT/PPM/etc windows again? (as was always the case up until Wavelab 6, but was lost ever since Wavelab 7)
You can rearrange the workspaces as you want on WaveLab 8 unlock, lock or move the windows as you want...
I am on a Mac, so the Window handling is quite different and I don't remember exactly how WaveLab 6 was, considering it was PC only.

From WaveLab 8 to WaveLab 8.5 the GUI has not been modified, just new features have been added.

If you have WaveLab 6 you have a USB-eLicenser, give WaveLab 8 a go and see if you like it, you can download the trial from the link bellow:

Trial

Best regards,
GN
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
And thanks to the demos we get to see what Philippe really looks like. Always good to put a face with someone you have respected over the years.
Old 13th March 2014
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
IMHO, what you SHOULD be releasing are stable, "bug-fixed" versions of WL7 and WL8 for the customers who have already paid a lot of money for these programs. Instead, it appears you have spent your time developing new bells and whistles.

No more "paid upgrades" for me.
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear ➑️
IMHO, what you SHOULD be releasing are stable, "bug-fixed" versions of WL7 and WL8 for the customers who have already paid a lot of money for these programs. Instead, it appears you have spent your time developing new bells and whistles.

No more "paid upgrades" for me.
8.0.3 on OSX 10.9.2 is very stable for me. It was a pretty rough start with WL7 and WL 8.0
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have no problems either with Wavelab 8 on my PC. The only thing that bothers me is there is no plug in delay compensation like Cubase has. Throw that in Wavelab, and I am happy.
Old 13th March 2014
Deleted 49af092
"The only thing that bothers me is there is no plug in delay compensation like Cubase has. Throw that in Wavelab, and I am happy."

It's also a little surprising that there isn't better volume or plugin automation on montage tracks in Wavelab.

There are workarounds but nothing even close to how you can draw volume and plugin automation in Logic or Pro Tools.

That, and ability to switch the sample rate of a session without all the CD track markers and other stuff moving and I'll be happy for a long time.

The need for multi-sample rate versions of a montage is growing and I prefer to use iZotope SRC on the files themselves and not have to rely on the built-in resampler and use it each time I render.
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski ➑️
"The only thing that bothers me is there is no plug in delay compensation like Cubase has. Throw that in Wavelab, and I am happy."

It's also a little surprising that there isn't better volume or plugin automation on montage tracks in Wavelab.

That, and ability to switch the sample rate of a session without all the CD track markers and other stuff moving and I'll be happy for a long time.
Both of you guys replied to my comment above saying how much you like WL and how stable it is - then followed with these comments about things that aren't quite right. Now you know what I'm talking about.

BTW - WL has plugin delay compensation (according to PG) - it just doesn't seem to work right - along with many other things.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Both of you guys replied to my comment above saying how much you like WL and how stable it is - then followed with these comments about things that aren't quite right. Now you know what I'm talking about.

BTW - WL has plugin delay compensation (according to PG) - it just doesn't seem to work right - along with many other things.
I hear ya. 8.0.3 is very stable for me, and many features important to me have been added since I started with WL7 for Mac, thanks to PG listening to me (and others) on the WL forum. The metadata thing is huge, I love not having to use another app to get all the artist/album/song/art etc. into mp3 files rendered from Wavelab, I can't think of any advanced pro mastering DAW that does this yet.

The automation and sample rate thing are things I can live without for now but would love to see sooner than later....can't be too picky with a mastering DAW on OSX. It took some time and effort but I'm pretty happy with Wavelab at this point.

Is the plugin delay compensation thing an issue just for metering and parallel compression within Wavelab, or is it affecting rendered output? If so I haven't noticed it on rendered output.
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

What I said was it is stable on my PC, not that I was happy with everything.

Did not know it had plug in compensation as it does not work. Just get the Cubase one and put it in Wl. There is a delay when you turn off the plug in or bypass. It makes it distracting when you want to compare before and after with an EQ or compressor plug in's. Automation would be nice in Montage too.

These are the reasons I keep going back to Samplitude to master though I still like WL.
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➑️
Did not know it had plug in compensation as it does not work. Just get the Cubase one and put it in Wl.
My thoughts exactly! But Cubase and Wavelab are two completely different animals - and apparently the developers don't share notes.

The delay compensation and GUI (meters, etc.) work PERFECTLY in my Cubase setup at any latency setting. Wavelab's meters, on the other hand, only come close to being in sync with the audio at very low latency settings. The surprising thing is that Cubase (while running numerous audio tracks, plugins, VST instruments, etc.) is doing FAR more processing than Wavelab yet the graphics stay spot on. I don't understand why Wavelab struggles with it.

I also have plugins that work perfectly in Cubase but crash Wavelab. Even some of the plugins bundled with Wavelab don't work right in Wavelab!

And, yes, Wavelab should have plugin automation. I was astounded to find out that WL8 still does not.

I have been a HUGE fan of Cubase since the early days of "VST" - and still am. But Wavelab has been very frustrating. It's actually easier, and faster sometimes (especially if I need automation), to master tracks in Cubase then export to Wavelab for CD layout.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski ➑️

There are workarounds but nothing even close to how you can draw volume and plugin automation in Logic or Pro Tools.

I ask volume automation for several years, but apparently they reserve it for their multitracks software. This is understandable for commercial reasons, but as a user I find it a bit frustrating.

I also wish to use the asio plugins in the montage section.

Otherwise wavelab 8 is quite stable for me.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

I also have plugins that work perfectly in Cubase but crash Wavelab. Even some of the plugins bundled with Wavelab don't work right in Wavelab!

I also find that my other hosts [Samplitude and Reaper] are much more stable working with plugins compared to Wavelab.

I also miss automation.

And better user control on how Wavelab GUI looks.

::
Mads
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have been a WL user since version 1.6. I liked WL up until version 7. When I upgraded to 7 I just did not like the way it looked or the way it worked so I still use WL 6 for most mastering that I do. I did do an upgrade to WL8 and it is a basically a good program but there are still someways of working that I find better in WL6. I use WL6 when there are clients present and WL8 when I am by myself. It seems to me that when PG HAD to port WL over to Mac that a lot of the problems developed.

It is still my go to application for mastering and I still have a lot of respect and admiration for PG. I would like to see automation similar to what I can do in Samlitude and I would like WL to play more nicely with VST plugins which most of the time it does but sometimes certain combination seem to be a sure way to have WL quit.

It will be interesting to see how much the upgrade to 8.5 costs. Hopefully it will be free but knowing Steinberg and Yamaha I seriously doubt it...
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
My thoughts exactly! But Cubase and Wavelab are two completely different animals - and apparently the developers don't share notes.

The delay compensation and GUI (meters, etc.) work PERFECTLY in my Cubase setup at any latency setting. Wavelab's meters, on the other hand, only come close to being in sync with the audio at very low latency settings. The surprising thing is that Cubase (while running numerous audio tracks, plugins, VST instruments, etc.) is doing FAR more processing than Wavelab yet the graphics stay spot on. I don't understand why Wavelab struggles with it.

And, yes, Wavelab should have plugin automation. I was astounded to find out that WL8 still does not.

I have been a HUGE fan of Cubase since the early days of "VST" - and still am. But Wavelab has been very frustrating. It's actually easier, and faster sometimes (especially if I need automation), to master tracks in Cubase then export to Wavelab for CD layout.
If the buffer size in WL is 256, I don't have a problem with A/B comparing when I bypass something in the chain. 512, I can live with but it's can be a little distracting.

In Cubase as I use so many plug ins, I have a higher buffer size. So when I switch to WL, I have to remember to reduce buffer size. I like in Cubase when you bounce a song, you can tell Cubase to automatically open the 2 bus in Wavelab.

When you switch off a plug in there is this slight interruption of the signal when it switches back and forth so this is not a good option if you want to A/B. The bypass button is better. But if the buffers are higher than 256, the music is not in sync and then plays the music a little behind which is distracting.

With using mostly UAD plug ins and external gear I don't have problems with using the 256 buffer setting in Wavelab.

I would gladly pay for a Wave Lab update that has delay compensation that works along with automation for plug ins like the read/write buttons in Cubase.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I have been a WL user since version 1.6. I liked WL up until version 7. When I upgraded to 7 I just did not like the way it looked or the way it worked so I still use WL 6 for most mastering that I do. I did do an upgrade to WL8 and it is a basically a good program but there are still someways of working that I find better in WL6. I use WL6 when there are clients present and WL8 when I am by myself. It seems to me that when PG HAD to port WL over to Mac that a lot of the problems developed.

It is still my go to application for mastering and I still have a lot of respect and admiration for PG. I would like to see automation similar to what I can do in Samlitude and I would like WL to play more nicely with VST plugins which most of the time it does but sometimes certain combination seem to be a sure way to have WL quit.

It will be interesting to see how much the upgrade to 8.5 costs. Hopefully it will be free but knowing Steinberg and Yamaha I seriously doubt it...
Well Thomas - we seem to agree completely

::
Mads
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I bought a Wavelab DVD tutorial to understand the different work flow. Once I went through it I was very pleased in understanding the new features. I like Wavelab 8 the best now. Just reading the Sound on Sound reviews of version 7 and 8 can help too. Work only in version 8 for 2 weeks after you learn the new features. YouTube may help too. It really is one of the best mastering programs even with its flaws. I prefer it over Samplitude Pro X which is more of a DAW with mastering features.

I also keep my buffers at 256 so there are no issues with latency and A/B listening. I also do all automation with plug ins in Cubase before going to Wave Lab. (For instance the fade out that the SSL comp plug in provides which I use sometimes to fade out a song).
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
its looking like there is no dxd or 384kHz support? im really waiting for this.
πŸ“ Reply