Quantcast
Wary of stereo bus compression.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wary of stereo bus compression..
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Wary of stereo bus compression..

I've just mixed 4 rock songs for my EP. I mixed the whole thing without anything on the stereo bus except for a bit of EQing. The mixes are sounding good, but they'll need a bit of compression to fatten them up. Seeing as though I've mixed these tracks clean should I just leave any stereo bus manipulation entirely in the hands of the ME.. being somewhat of an amatuer I feel that they could far better decide how to compress my track, but am I overstepping my boundaries and asking them to perform "mixing" duties by doing that?

I just feel nervous about baking anything onto my beloved tracks that could be detrimental.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nothing wrong with your approach. Communication will be the key to your satisfaction with the final result. Let them know exactly what you've said here, and a good mastering engineer will know exactly what to do. I for one relish the chance I get to dust off some of my compressors.
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted 691ca21
Same as Sean! I wish people would use less mix buss compression, so that mine could get more use!
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hatfield ➡️
... I for one relish the chance I get to dust off some of my compressors.
ditto,
best idea would be to get in touch with mastering lad and she/he should take from there, don't be anxious, just ask the questions

and good luck!
Old 13th March 2014
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
The best place by far to use buss compression is in the mix because it always affects the musical balance and you have way more control. In mastering we are stuck with using eq. to compensate balance changes caused by a compressor. It can work great but the end results from mixing into a compressor are often better because moving a fader translates better than tweaking an equalizer ever can.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
The best place by far to use buss compression is in the mix because it always affects the musical balance and you have way more control. In mastering we are stuck with using eq. to compensate balance changes caused by a compressor. It can work great but the end results from mixing into a compressor are often better because moving a fader translates better than tweaking an equalizer ever can.
This.

Note however Bob is speaking about mixing into the compressor, not applying it after the mix process.

That would be the same as a ME slapping his compressor over your mix.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just provide both versions to the mastering engineer. by that he can get an impression what you would like to achieve & maybe he will directly use that version or will do it in a better way with his equipment using the other version. communication is very important.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…