Quantcast
RIDICULOUS video about mastering, must see!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIDICULOUS video about mastering, must see!!
Old 8th March 2014
RIDICULOUS video about mastering, must see!!

hello people,

i just randomly found this video on YT:

****ING LOUD MASTERING - YouTube

pretty insane take on mastering huh? what you guys think?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbandalf ➡️
hello people,

i just randomly found this video on YT:

****ING LOUD MASTERING - YouTube

pretty insane take on mastering huh? what you guys think?

A lot of truth to it, sorry to say, at least in mainstream commercial circles.
Old 8th March 2014
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"I like to use this limiter because I like the way it looks"

Gave me a good laugh.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Here's an even better one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY4UFEZFRpg
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You cannot be serious......!
that idiot just toasted my monitors.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2udio ➡️
You cannot be serious......!
that idiot just toasted my monitors.
???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith ➡️
yeah but guys, those videos are pisstakes, the one i posted is actally supposed to be serious...!!!
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are all pisstakes....serious or not !
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I agree, the first video is funny in parts.. Its hard to tell is its a spoof or a serious attempt. Mostly bad tips..

I did not watch the whole video.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith ➡️
this one is my favorite. the L stands for LOUDER!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri ➡️
Yeah I agree, the first video is funny in parts.. Its hard to tell is its a spoof or a serious attempt. Mostly bad tips..

I did not watch the whole video.
why bad tips? i think some are quite useful...
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
man yeah dubz is out of control. his videos are crazy..
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So what did you guys think about the limiting/clipping cheeze analogy? Good food for thought or just plain "cheezy"?
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandso ➡️
So what did you guys think about the limiting/clipping cheeze analogy? Good food for thought or just plain "cheezy"?
I thought it was good imagery, and the presentation as a whole is good for its target audience.

Think about it- kids are gonna want their music *lowd* like the Real Pros(tm). This guy, in a friendly and entertaining matter, is explaining how he does that, without making that sound that's like someone screaming with their face pressed against glass. Of course anyone with any kind of experience is going to point to certain things he says and does and disagree, that's the nature of art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobro ➡️
I thought it was good imagery, and the presentation as a whole is good for its target audience.

Think about it- kids are gonna want their music *lowd* like the Real Pros(tm). This guy, in a friendly and entertaining matter, is explaining how he does that, without making that sound that's like someone screaming with their face pressed against glass. Of course anyone with any kind of experience is going to point to certain things he says and does and disagree, that's the nature of art.
so you think in general what he says makes some kind of sense?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In the first video there are some good workflow points, yes.. But the biggest problem with his demonstration is over use of the visual aspect, and very little explanation of why hearing is everything.. Witch mastering is manly critical listening, what you are hearing is everything and the tool that will show you what path to take for each song.. This is by far the biggest reason why mastering seems mysterious to some.

I would give his video the 30% good / 70% misinformed.. category

Some of my best work was in analog, and I believe the biggest reason why is because the PC monitor was off for a large part of the session .. Witch makes you focus more on what you are hearing.

Of coarse I mainly use a hybrid set up, like most. But you get my point.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
so you think in general what he says makes some kind of sense?
Sure. I didn't watch the entire thing, but most of it. I agree with Umulamahri that he relies on the visual and meters too much. For example, when he was getting his RMS level up to the level of that RHCP song, he succeeded in getting the RMS of the verse even higher, and the chorus a tad lower... but you could hear that the musical contrast in volume between verse and chorus in the original mix was gone! Whereas the RHCP song even while squashed flat maintains a contrast between the parts.

But view it in terms of "kid with earbuds and laptop wants tracks on SoundCloud louder". And consider the audible evidence of what home "mastering" often is: ram into a limiter plugin. It's not a ridiculous video at all from that point of view.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sure. I didn't watch the entire thing, but most of it. I agree with Umulamahri that he relies on the visual and meters too much. For example, when he was getting his RMS level up to the level of that RHCP song, he succeeded in getting the RMS of the verse even higher, and the chorus a tad lower... but you could hear that the musical contrast in volume between verse and chorus in the original mix was gone! Whereas the RHCP song even while squashed flat maintains a contrast between the parts.

But view it in terms of "kid with earbuds and laptop wants tracks on SoundCloud louder". And consider the audible evidence of what home "mastering" often is: ram into a limiter plugin. It's not a ridiculous video at all from that point of view.

I was torn between deciding if he was being serious or satirical. Hopefully the latter.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_K_Man ➡️
I was torn between deciding if he was being serious or satirical. Hopefully the latter.
Serious/satirical is not necessarily a dichotomy in the arts, especially not in the drug-laden world of music. I wind up listening to a lot of old Jamaican music my friend is always rolling, and there's plenty of just plain "bad" work there, from a technical point of view. You can bet those guys had some "ridiculous" ideas, and some real laughs while working. But so what?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Serious/satirical is not necessarily a dichotomy in the arts, especially not in the drug-laden world of music. I wind up listening to a lot of old Jamaican music my friend is always rolling, and there's plenty of just plain "bad" work there, from a technical point of view. You can bet those guys had some "ridiculous" ideas, and some real laughs while working. But so what?

I suspect he might just be ridiculing common practices.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Assuming we're both talking about the guy who was literally cutting the cheese, I think he's serious as far as the material. There are also pure satire videos on YouTube.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
He was being serious. Good vid. Show us your 30-minute video with A/B, haters.
Quote:
I suspect he might just be ridiculing common practices.

but do you think he actually produced the tracks he shows as his? they sound pretty damn good not like someone who works that way if you know what i mean
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

but do you think he actually produced the tracks he shows as his? they sound pretty damn good not like someone who works that way if you know what i mean
I don't know if he actually produced them.

As far as sounding "pretty damn good" - if it actually sounded good he wouldn't be mocking it.
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I collected Jamaican music of the 60s and 70s for many years, and there are a lot of really bad recordings from a technical standpoint, but from an artistic standpoint many of them are great works. They weren't afraid of bass, that's for sure.

This guy in the video mentions using that Red Hot Chilli Peppers track for a reference... for me that track is a tutorial for what not to do to music.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't know if he actually produced them.

As far as sounding "pretty damn good" - if it actually sounded good he wouldn't be mocking it.
hey amigo, i'm the one in the video

i did produce those tracks and i'm not mocking them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillo ➡️
hey amigo, i'm the one in the video

i did produce those tracks and i'm not mocking them.
So do you actually condone these practices???

(And whoever thumbed him up - stop encouraging this!)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So do you actually condone these practices???

(And whoever thumbed him up - stop encouraging this!)
this sums up my reply Pepo che penna col booster - YouTube
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by playon ➡️
... Chilli Peppers track for a reference... for me that track is a tutorial for what not to do to music.
word!
📝 Reply