Quantcast
Favorite Mastering EQ with api 2500 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite Mastering EQ with api 2500
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Favorite Mastering EQ with api 2500

I have done some mastering work that I've been really happy with, with a Sontec 250EX (as well as a Sontec 250MEP -- Sontec / GML 8200 clone) into an api 2500 (with vintage op amps) into an Avalon 747 (for its eq as a finalizer) with a touch of Crane Song tape saturation on the converter.

I love the Sontec & GML 8200 flavor... but I've been wondering if there might not be a better eq to pair with an api 2500.

It seems I'm always cutting the mids and high mids in mixes -- lots of mixes come in bright in those frequencies and then the api 2500 can also be very aggressive in those frequencies. I'm starting to think, as I've read the massive passive is really good and warm and soft, etc. in those frequencies... might be a better match with the 2500 at the end of the day? I won't be able to know until I hear it... but would love any thoughts.

I have a UAD card... demo'd the MP plug-in and didn't love it as seemed to flatten the image. Hearing demos between the plug-in and the hardware confirmed what I didn't like about the plug and what I do like about the hardware though. There is a certain excitement/mojo/air/color that the hardware seems to have that the plug-in actually seems to kill a bit from the signal from the demos I've heard.

Anyways -- thanks for your thoughts on a good eq to match with the api 2500... I know that if the Sontec worked for me, it will still work, but maybe there will be something better.

Last edited by Seditionary; 8th December 2015 at 12:30 PM..
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
how big is your budget?

i had a massive passive, it's a unit with a strong own character, works sometimes, but is not very versatile. he's ok as your secound or third eq, but not as a main mastering eq.

typical, versatile mastering-eq's are sontec 462, maselec meq-2, gml 9500, buzzaudio req 2.2.me or knif soma. if you have DIY-knowledge, a perter net-eq is also a good solution.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I can't think of many better combos than 2500 and MEP250 (clone) in my experience, that's a hell of a pair for working day to day mastering
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That's sort of what I was thinking. Or a Sontec 250EX. I'm thinking because the 2500 is a character comp, maybe shoot for clean eq like Sontec, GML, or maybe even a digital option like a Weiss.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone else on the req 2.2? It seems like some really great rooms have one. I saw William Bowden slam it, but he also has a Fairman (15,000 dollar tube eq) in his room.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'd say something like the Sontec would work best. I used to own a Massive Passive and found that it 'softened' the impact in the low end, suitable for some music but not all. Not as fast on the transients as a Sontec/GML. It tended to not work as well with my tube gear compared to a solid state device...Although I still miss the Massivo sometimes there really is nothing like it, probably should have kept it! Willy and I both tried the same Buzz and I wrote a review (in my signature).

You may want to try the Bettermaker 232 as it has a T-filter EQ (Like Sontec/GML) and Pultec type EQ in one box with recall. It sounds quite clean and suitable for mastering from the demos I've heard.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➑️
I'd say something like the Sontec would work best. I used to own a Massive Passive and found that it 'softened' the impact in the low end, suitable for some music but not all. Not as fast on the transients as a Sontec/GML. It tended to not work as well with my tube gear compared to a solid state device...Although I still miss the Massivo sometimes there really is nothing like it, probably should have kept it! Willy and I both tried the same Buzz and I wrote a review (in my signature).

You may want to try the Bettermaker 232 as it has a T-filter EQ (Like Sontec/GML) and Pultec type EQ in one box with recall. It sounds quite clean and suitable for mastering from the demos I've heard.
bettermaker is very stright forward sounding, the parametric filters a snappy and tight, the highpass is maybe the best i ever had and the pultec section can give you a nice tight but big bottom and detailed, but slighty forgivening highs.
if you need a eq who sweeten up your signal, he wouldn't be my first option, but you get a lot good filters and a unbeatable user interface for a very fair price
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

NSEQ-4 is working great here with API 2500. You can ask Joel Silverman if there is a demo unit available for you to test in your set up.

Razik Mastering
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, I did a session today with Sontec EX250 and NSEQ4, along with a pair of Chandler LDT2s. Not a 2500, but character comp nonetheless. Worked beautifully! Love my NSEQ4 mid bands, but the low end work always goes to the Sontec. NSEQ4 is a wonderful EQ. So it should be added to the OPs possibilities along with a NSEQ2 Forsell.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can't comment this for the Sontec EQs but the MEA-2 and the Buzz work pretty perfect with the 2500. "TONE" on the API gives you 3x3x2=18 combinations and different flavours for compression, there are also "cleaner" settings and there's no problem to have a character EQ (like an MP) in your chain as well.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool -- Thank you all for all the help. I think I'm looking for a Massive Passive right now to replace the Sontec... to see how that sits with me as I love the sound of it from shoot-outs. I might build another Sontec/GML 8200 clone or two for a cleaner option to pair it with.

Thanks all!
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary ➑️
I might build another Sontec/GML 8200 clone or two for a cleaner option to pair it with.

Thanks all!
What's that cost in parts?
πŸ“ Reply