Playback - Capture with one or two PC? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Playback - Capture with one or two PC?
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Playback - Capture with one or two PC?

Hi There!!

I'm reconsidering my mastering chain and upgrading my equipment list, so i've visited some mastering studio that i know and speaking with MEs every one has the own idea about playback and capturing in the same PC (that in my case is a mac).

I'm not a fun of computers, so i prefer to spend my money in outboar instead of buying a new pc; and maybe i prefer to buy a Studer a80 master tape in the future to record the master.

My current way to work is this:

I do upsample of the source files to the double it in Izotope RX3.

Then i work in my DAW (Protools) for editing and super detailed EQing (if needed).

Then i go out from the D/A and process the audio with my analog gear.

I record in the same protools session and put a Fabfilter Pro L to turn down the output and take care of interesample peaks.

At the end i bounce at the same SR and bit rate, and change them in RX3.

What do you think about my workflow?

I'm sodisfied in this way, but i've not tried to capture with a different PC, maybe directly on the final SR.

Who is using one or the other configuration?

Thanks!
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use 2 computers one playback, one capture. My chain, ext clocked PB computer- D/A- analog mastering gear - 44.1 ext clock A/D - capture computer recording 16 bit. No SRC, no dither.
Why do you up sample your files? You don't get any more information out than what was in the original file.
Old 6th March 2014
Deleted 49af092
I use one computer.

-Playback files at native sample rate in Logic Pro X out to analog chain.

-Capture analog chain at native sample rate in Pro Tools 11. Remove noises, hiss, ticks etc., trim to desired length and properly name file and export to dedicated captured masters folder.

(convert files for higher sample rate projects down to 44.1k using iZotope SRC in Sample Manager when applicable)

-Assemble/sequence master(s) in Wavelab 8 and apply final limiter (usually Ozone or Sonnox Limiter) and dithering (when needed).

All done with one computer using a Lynx AES16e, Crane Song HEDD and Crane Song Avocet for D/A, A/D/, D/A

Using one computer really simplifies everything.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No right or wrong. I use one computer as well. Used to do it with Hilo, now with Prism Lyra. Simple loop back through the analog chain with two DAs and one AD. Playback and capture at the same sample rate. Then SRC down and dither to 16 with Izotope RX. Been thinking about adding digital equipment to my chain so I might rethink things at that point.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
One 'puter, two soundcards, two instances of Sequoia, for playback and capture at different sample rates when necessary.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
quite recently, I started utilizing mytek 192 dsd dac,
it's my monitoring dac in my setup
and it is actually audio interface and you can plug it via either usb or firewire to another pc, or laptop like in my situation
what it could do, you can 'catch' audio in high freq up to 192kHz,, just plug usb into laptop (install drivers beforehand)
very handy must say!
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Tech ➡️
Why do you up sample your files? You don't get any more information out than what was in the original file.
I know this, but i do upsampling because most of times i recieve 44.1_24bit files, and i prefer to use plug in at 88.2 khz instead of 44.1.

If i use two different computer i could playback at the original SR and capture higher and use the final limiter at higher SR.

@Jperkinski

Thanks for your clear explanation about your chain!
Are you using Logic and Protools in Rewire? i thought that them are both master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon ➡️
One 'puter, two soundcards, two instances of Sequoia, for playback and capture at different sample rates when necessary.
Cool! you know if some other software (maybe suitable for mac) can do this?
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use Sound Forge for file playback, Wave lab for capture. CD Arch for assembly, ISRC, CD text and PMCD burn. running 2 mini atx machines, XP, Sek'D sound cards. Lucid and Swisssonic word clocks. Apoggee D/A,s Pygmy A/D custom built analog console and vintage equipment modified for mastering. Custom built Mastering Reference loudpeakers using vintage Hi-Fi drivers.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPellegrino ➡️
@Jperkinski

Thanks for your clear explanation about your chain!
Are you using Logic and Protools in Rewire? i thought that them are both master.

No Rewire, both Logic and Pro Tools are running independent, but always at the same sample rate. I chose Pro Tools to capture just because I'm much faster at editing and trimming in Pro Tools.

I like using two applications because it's easy to A/B certain sections. I can keep the transport of Logic playing the track I'm working on, and easily playback an already captured section in Pro Tools that I'm trying to match with. Using the same app to playback and capture makes it more difficult to A/B quickly and smoothly.
📝 Reply