The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering with Proac Studio monitor
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Mastering with Proac Studio monitor

Hi there!

I'm searching for a good mid-level mastering speaker and i've got the oppurtunity to try the Proac studio 100 (that are used in some mastering studios), and the Focal twin6.
I've been in a lots of mastering studio, with super expensive monitor (i've heard the B&W 802, Rosso Fiorentino Siena...), but i'm really impressed from the Proac, them are so detailed on the mid-high freq and really gentle and comfortable; i also like the Focal (i'm currently a Focal user) but for me are too harsh, i feel that will be not so comfortable for long time working situation.

My question is this:

I've noticed a certain lessness of punch in the kickdrum on the Proac, approximately around 100hz, instead the Focal are super punchy, but their IMO are poor in the really low end too.

1. According to you, this problem that i've noticed on Proac is true, or was just the room's situation (Very big, and the speakers were not centered)?

2. What do you think about Proac studio 140? are they more powerful on the low-end? The mid-high resolution is the same of the 100?

I hope to have the opportunity to try also the Proac 140, or maybe i should try 100's with a subwoofer, but the problem that i've felt was higher than the subwoofer working range.

What do you think about?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by MarcoPellegrino; 4th March 2014 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: more infos
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi, so many Focal speakers (the hi end models like Utopia , mezzo utopia ecc....) are perfect for mastering work, obviously the hi end models have a expensive price!
Anyway you can try to listen some B&W matrix series 801-802 ecc. are a valid choice still today and the price of these models is more affordable , something around from 900 up to 2000 euros and this depends the general conditions, functionals and physical.
Remember that these 801/802 matrix models coulb be upgraded with many mods like xover ,better internal cabling and others mods.
I haven't never listened the Proac speakers (maybe one time the Proac 100 but to be honest i don't remember how these sounded) so i don't know how these are for mastering, but the best way is trying the Proac in your studio and judge yourself how these are.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW, a well-known mixing engineer in Berlin is just selling his Proacs 100s with Glockenklang Bugatti amp and super-expensive speaker cables. All in cases, for a fair price:

ProAc Studio100, Glockenklang Bugatti, MIT MH770 BiWire in Cases! in Berlin - Kreuzberg | Weitere Audio & Hifi Komponenten gebraucht kaufen | eBay Kleinanzeigen
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I mix primarily on Proac Studio 100s. I love them, but can't imagine using them for mastering.

In fact, I'd say it's probably a good idea in general to avoid any ported speaker for mastering.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
In fact, I'd say it's probably a good idea in general to avoid any ported speaker for mastering.
Well if that were true it would discredit most of the best mastering speakers out there. B&W, PMC, ATC, Quested....to name a few

Closed-box designs are great, don't get me wrong (i.e. duntech/dunlavy, lipinski, etc), but they are certainly outnumbered by the ported designs
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbraglia ➑️
Well if that were true it would discredit most of the best mastering speakers out there. B&W, PMC, ATC, Quested....to name a few

Closed-box designs are great, don't get me wrong (i.e. duntech/dunlavy, lipinski, etc), but they are certainly outnumbered by the ported designs
Fair enough. I should have been more specific: I'd avoid any ported nearfield studio monitor. I've yet to hear an example of one that didn't emphasize the a particular part of the low end in an unnatural way, although, I've of course not listened to them all, so one could certainly exist.

That's not to say you couldn't learn a particular speaker's idiosyncrasies and work around them. It just seems to me that a great closed speaker is always more accurate in the low end, and since the low end seems to be the OP's main concern, I recommend avoiding ported speakers.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
to kosmokrator:

I've seen that "pack" on sale, but maybe is too expensive...
Knowing that good mixing engineers are using those speakers is not surprising me, they are amazing!

I read in the forum that a lots of "big" engineers are using them, also for mastering (Greg Calbi, Steven Slate...), but i would like to know if they can be usefull also for master electronic music.

Has the kickdrum enough energy on these speakers?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like them for mixing too, although I don't use them these days. The pair for sale is not from me BTW.
I find them to be bass-shy though, so for mastering I'd ad least pair them with a good sub.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I've told this story a million times on gearslutz, but Joe Gastwirt primarily masters on Proac Studio 100s. He has a pair of Martin Logans that he usually turns on for 1 minute the 1st song of the session, then doesn't turn them on again for the remainder of the session. At least that was the case with the 10 or so sessions I sat in with him over the course of 7 years or so. I think he probably uses the Martin Logan's more heavily for bass heavy music, but...Joe seems to nail the low end every time I've worked with him, so apparently he knows how to put the Proacs to good use.

That being said, that is why I originally started mastering only with a pair of Proac Studio 100s. Worked fine for me for some time. There came a time though where I missed the mark heavily on some 30hz stuff and decided it was time to get some bigger speakers. REALLY happy with my Tyler MM5X.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Definetly i should think to upgrade the Proac with two subwoofer, maybe the Focal cms, one per monitor...

And what about the Proac Studio 140?

I know this mastering studio in NY that is using them, but i really can't find more info about them...

KNACK MASTERING - MASTERING STUDIO

On friday i'll have a listening session of them here in Berlin, but i'm scared because maybe the room's acoustic can influence my decision...
I've listened the Studio 100 in a big and no acoustically treated room, and i'll listen the Studio 140, in a good hifi room.

This can really influence everything!
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPellegrino ➑️
Definetly i should think to upgrade the Proac with two subwoofer, maybe the Focal cms, one per monitor...

And what about the Proac Studio 140?

I know this mastering studio in NY that is using them, but i really can't find more info about them...

KNACK MASTERING - MASTERING STUDIO

On friday i'll have a listening session of them here in Berlin, but i'm scared because maybe the room's acoustic can influence my decision...
I've listened the Studio 100 in a big and no acoustically treated room, and i'll listen the Studio 140, in a good hifi room.

This can really influence everything!
The amp will also influence it rather a lot........
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Use ProAcs (powered by Bryston amps) every day also for mastering duties, but mainly as reference speakers. Couldn't imagine working solely on them...
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for every advice!

Definetly the amp is also very important with this speakers...

Friday i'll try the Studio 140 and then i'll have a more complex opinion about Proac monitors.

@Joelistics

I've checked your site, your gear list is simply awesome! I should find some time to go in Denmark to master something in really good quality!
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPellegrino ➑️
@Joelistics

I've checked your site, your gear list is simply awesome! I should find some time to go in Denmark to master something in really good quality!
Anytime! it's only a bus ride away...
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Marco!

I use the 140 mk2's for mastering and I love them. I auditioned several different brands when making my decision.... and while they all sounded fantastic, the proacs just felt "right". It was as simple as that. I could describe my opinion of the low end or the mid-range and why I love the 140s, but what I look for in a speaker really makes little difference compared to what sounds right to you.

I will agree that the power amp makes a huge difference in what you will hear (which is true for any set of speakers, really). I recently auditioned a few new power amps.... and within a matter of seconds decided that none of them fit the bill, my current setup kicks butt they way it is. Anything 150w and up will make these speakers shine.... below that, they're just "nice".

IMO the best way to audition speakers (aside from having them in your own studio) is to bring along music you are deeply familiar with. I have a selection of tracks I can take with me anywhere and after listening for a few minutes, can get a really accurate idea of the room and speakers. What I'm hearing, what I'm not.

As far as low end accuracy.... your room will have a lot to do with that as well as your speakers. The 140s have great low end response, but if your room isn't treated properly, you could be hearing too much (or not enough) low end in your listening position.

Hope this helps!

-kim
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Rosen ➑️
Hey Marco!

I use the 140 mk2's for mastering and I love them. I auditioned several different brands when making my decision.... and while they all sounded fantastic, the proacs just felt "right". It was as simple as that. I could describe my opinion of the low end or the mid-range and why I love the 140s, but what I look for in a speaker really makes little difference compared to what sounds right to you.

I will agree that the power amp makes a huge difference in what you will hear (which is true for any set of speakers, really). I recently auditioned a few new power amps.... and within a matter of seconds decided that none of them fit the bill, my current setup kicks butt they way it is. Anything 150w and up will make these speakers shine.... below that, they're just "nice".

IMO the best way to audition speakers (aside from having them in your own studio) is to bring along music you are deeply familiar with. I have a selection of tracks I can take with me anywhere and after listening for a few minutes, can get a really accurate idea of the room and speakers. What I'm hearing, what I'm not.

As far as low end accuracy.... your room will have a lot to do with that as well as your speakers. The 140s have great low end response, but if your room isn't treated properly, you could be hearing too much (or not enough) low end in your listening position.

Hope this helps!

-kim
Hey Kim,

I was hoping to hear something by you!
I've seen that you are using the 140 and i've heard your works in my studio and they sound great!
i'm really happy to know that teh proac 140 are working in a high quality mastering studio.

I had a listening today, in a good hifi room, well treated. I brought with me my reference cd, with some tracks that i deeply know and some of my works, and the impression that i had is that the 140 are the mastering version of the 100.

Listening the 100 you can feel a very good stereo image and accuracy on the mid-high range, so for me are perfect for mixing, while with the 140 you have a full range hearing, with very deep bass and also testing them with electronic music with a lots of bass the result was amazing!

Before starting the hearing time i was worried about the bass reflex that is under the speaker, really near to the floor, but the listening was perfect.

I really think that i need to pay some more money to get the 140, for me is better then 100 + sub, for sure is more natural to have one full range speaker!

Thank's for your advice!

Last edited by MarcoPellegrino; 7th March 2014 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: some errors were there
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Rosen ➑️
I use the 140 mk2's for mastering and I love them.
Not anymore.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZER ➑️
Not anymore.
Strauss SE-MF4 Mastering monitors
πŸ“ Reply