Quantcast
STC-8 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
STC-8
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sounds like if you want a very clean compressor, the Dangerous compressor may be a good option. I always found the Cranesong clean but with a slight character. Plus the Ki switch affects the sound so you have to decide which mode you like better.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➡️
Sounds like if you want a very clean compressor, the Dangerous compressor may be a good option. I always found the Cranesong clean but with a slight character. Plus the Ki switch affects the sound so you have to decide which mode you like better.
Yes. Clean and Deeep. Thats what I am looking for.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
From that thread:

"The STC-8 is not perfectly transparent, I don't think it's supposed to be. I see it as being "just right", very clean, very high-fidelity, but not cold or clinical. As many folks describe it, it's very "musical". Indeed the STC-8 is a very complex unit that requires a good deal of experimenting to dial in, it allows for a ridiculous amount of control, but if you don't get it "right" per the situation, you may be unhappy."

Also from that thread:

"When I first got the thing I was able to "use" it straight away - I kept it in "v" mode and only gave myself the options of the 4 quadrants before really delving into the pre-sets... that process was a good two months of ownership before I felt 100% comfortable using the tool on a regular basis or in a "high powered" / "need to work fast" / "stressful" situation. Could just be me... but understand I had a good 20 years of engineering experience when I first met the unit - hardly a novice by any stretch of the imagination."

I've never understood why anyone would say the STC8 is "transparent." It has its own sound, just like every compressor I've used, and I tried a whole pile of high end compressors before I kept this one. After recording to tape for years, I sometimes get tired of the sterile edginess that can happen with digital recording. In my experience, this compressor helps with that in a cool, subtle way, and the different ways it handles compressing audio makes it a versatile tool.

No piece of gear is right for everyone. Some pianists prefer a Steinway, some a Fazioli. But many people have said what I can confirm - this particular compressor takes a while to get comfortable with.

Mychal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakly ➡️
From that thread:

I've never understood why anyone would say the STC8 is "transparent."

Mychal
well, I think transparent is a maybe a somehow vague expression...of course every peace of gear has a certain signature, that´s why we love em, and if someone wants totallly clean it´s maybe better to stay in the box, but the stc8 is at least to my understanding on the cleaner and open sounding site (especially when used unlinked in hara mode with sidchain)...what I for myself can call "transparent" with ease...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This unit has a relay hard bypass...just saying
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i guess it depends on how you define transparent. the STC has a slightly lowered top end when switched on. that may feel like the unit gets a bit "cloudy", bit this isn't really the case, since it is more like a statical offset & not like saturation or details getting lost, i.e. effects that cannot be reversed anymore. typically you anyway do EQing afterwards, so for me it doesn't matter. most high end audio equipment (EQs, compressors) is only linear in a +/- 0.2dB range, so i still would place the stc8 one the transparent side.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba ➡️
i guess it depends on how you define transparent. the STC has a slightly lowered top end when switched on. that may feel like the unit gets a bit "cloudy", bit this isn't really the case, since it is more like a statical offset & not like saturation or details getting lost, i.e. effects that cannot be reversed anymore. typically you anyway do EQing afterwards, so for me it doesn't matter. most high end audio equipment (EQs, compressors) is only linear in a +/- 0.2dB range, so i still would place the stc8 one the transparent side.
It has lowered top end and low end is thicker,center image gets little foggy and distant and everything is wider a bit. The detail get lost and you cant get this back with a EQ or something.

You can hear this right away when working on classical and jazz, acoustic music.
On this music styles this coloration is almost no option in my opinion, maybe for one in 40 mixes, maybe. For other things like pop, heavy metal or dance this might be OK.

This comp is advertised as one of the most transparent out there.... From their website:

"The STC-8 is engineered to provide musically transparent gain control"

"Transparent Overload Protection"

"In the Hara position the audio path is transparent"

So I was expecting transparent signal path at least....

Most comps and EQs out there advertised as heavy colored units have cleaner signal path than STC-8 which you can change when processing . You can apply the color if and when you need it how you need it, but the signal path is not compromised.

The coloration of the STC-8 signal path can´t be bypassed, and thats a big no no in my world.It is a cheap trick in my opinion. Using the word Transparent all the time in advertising and then selling units with filtered signal path is ... not even funny.

I am wondering how come that they built the jumpers to make the ki mode more transparent but didnt make the jumpers to make the unit more transparent. The difference in the signal path between the bypass ( unit off) and unit engaged ( compressor and limiter off) is much bigger than the differences made by the jumper for the signal path of the ki position....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studerian ➡️
It has lowered top end and low end is thicker,center image gets little foggy and distant and everything is wider a bit. The detail get lost and you cant get this back with a EQ or something.

You can hear this right away when working on classical and jazz, acoustic music.
On this music styles this coloration is almost no option in my opinion, maybe for one in 40 mixes, maybe. For other things like pop, heavy metal or dance this might be OK.

This comp is advertised as one of the most transparent out there.... From their website:

Most comps and EQs out there advertised as heavy colored units have cleaner signal path than STC-8 which you can change when processing . You can apply the color if and when you need it how you need it, but the signal path is not compromised.

The coloration of the STC-8 signal path can´t be bypassed, and thats a big no no in my world.It is a cheap trick in my opinion. Using the word Transparent all the time in advertising and then selling units with filtered signal path is ... not even funny.

I am wondering how come that they built the jumpers to make the ki mode more transparent but didnt make the jumpers to make the unit more transparent. The difference in the signal path between the bypass ( unit off) and unit engaged ( compressor and limiter off) is much bigger than the differences made by the jumper for the signal path of the ki position....
The word "transparent" get's thrown around one way or the other and often without clarification, so I think it's meaning can become confusing. There's two different types of transparent; tonally transparent (which to me pretty much doesn't exist when talking analog hardware) and transparent dynamic control. I owned the STC-8, non mastering version for quite some time, and I found the dynamic control to be amazingly transparent if you know how to use it. It's a beast and took me a long time to get fully comfortable with it. There were times when i had very dynamic mixes that i was able to compress into over-compression with next to no audible artifacts. I think this is where the unit is transparent.

I remembered when i owned the Elysia 500 series comp. On a sonic level it was so transparent that I felt like i was using a plugin. Some like that kind of thing, personally not for me. Maybe this is something you might be interested in. Also the GML or Maselec if you want to bust the bank, although they do have a sound, they stay pretty out of the way so to speak.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studerian ➡️

Your the first person I ever heard who has not like this compressor for mastering. My suggestion is to sell it and consider checking out the GML Dynamic Controller which is an amazing clean compressor. If you can't afford it, look at the Dangerous comp. No additional comments or explanations will help you like the STC-8 unit more.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks ➡️
Your the first person I ever heard who has not like this compressor for mastering. My suggestion is to sell it and consider checking out the GML Dynamic Controller which is an amazing clean compressor. If you can't afford it, look at the Dangerous comp. No additional comments or explanations will help you like the STC-8 unit more.
actually not really the only one .....
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've owned an STC8 since 2005. I feel like I'm still learning new things about it. As most have already said, it's really a deep unit. I stayed with the presets in the beginning until I started understanding what it could do.

Generally, it is a clean compressor. At least Cranesong's vision of what clean is or should be. I think most of the color comes from Dave's make up gain amplifier. The more of it you use, the more color you'll see ie. more bass, slight rounding of the top etc.

If I want to keep my 2 buss pristine clean, I'll seek make up gain elsewhere. Having said that, I really like the color it imparts. It's a kind of politeness that may not be everyones cup of tea.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
The word "transparent" get's thrown around one way or the other and often without clarification, so I think it's meaning can become confusing. There's two different types of transparent; tonally transparent (which to me pretty much doesn't exist when talking analog hardware) and transparent dynamic control. I owned the STC-8, non mastering version for quite some time, and I found the dynamic control to be amazingly transparent if you know how to use it. It's a beast and took me a long time to get fully comfortable with it.
Great way of describing it. Like all hardware, it has a sound of its own. A lot of people think it's a great sound, and I'm one of them.

The way it controls dynamics could be described as transparent, as you say. And you can abuse it in ways that are surprising - during tracking, I've used really fast attacks that don't spoil the sound. And during mixing it can be good barely touching the 2bus.
📝 Reply