The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPG initiative and EBU announce ISRC codes within WAV files
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
MPG initiative and EBU announce ISRC codes within WAV files

Great news!

Music Producers Guild - News - MPG initiative to embed ISRC codes within digital audio files ...

For the first time, as a result of an MPG initiative, in partnership with the
European Broadcasting Union (EBU), a standard now exists to enable the embedding of International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) within WAV files.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That is indeed really good news! Now let's hope that things will be implemented soon.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose ➡️
That is indeed really good news! Now let's hope that things will be implemented soon.
+1
Old 28th January 2013
Deleted 691ca21
Excellent news! How's it gonna work, just by using .BWF files? Or is the .WAV standard gonna be changed to allow meta-data finally? The brief news article gave little detail on the implementation.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice but needs manufacturers to add the functionality to their DAW.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma ➡️
Excellent news! How's it gonna work, just by using .BWF files? Or is the .WAV standard gonna be changed to allow meta-data finally? The brief news article gave little detail on the implementation.
WAV files have tags inside them with a standardized name. It is not part of any standard to use all or any of them, so they can be ignored by a simple program unaware of the tags.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake ➡️
Nice but needs manufacturers to add the functionality to their DAW.
Hopefully as a stop gap there will soon be third-party tools to correctly edit the relevant metadata directly on (b)wav files.

edit: http://broadcastengineering.com/musi...ustry-standard from that earlier story it looks like what has happened is they've agreed on a standard BWF field to use for this. So should be technically possible to do already with some tool like http://bwfmetaedit.sourceforge.net/ (I haven't used that particular piece of software so I don't know how well it works - that was just the first one that showed up from my searching.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So is it just one ISRC code per file, or is it possible to input several codes for a file containing several songs, with time code for each ISRC?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus ➡️
So is it just one ISRC code per file, or is it possible to input several codes for a file containing several songs, with time code for each ISRC?
That's a good point.

Mastering for CD I create one long wav file which represents the audio start-to-finish for the disk and use region markers as track marks.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
About bloody time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake ➡️
That's a good point.

Mastering for CD I create one long wav file which represents the audio start-to-finish for the disk and use region markers as track marks.
I also make one long CD master file, and mark the track in- and outpoints in the CD mastering software. For classical this is the safest way to keep the ambience intact.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…