The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SoundCloud Mastering
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➡️
no need to dither for soundcloud...
send 24 bit .wav
Didn't know that one! I just assumed it wouldn't encode,as they say 16/44.1.Thanks!

After reading all these posts,I went back and listened to my tracks...the first 3 have distortion all over the place,but I v'e been up for 35 hours,it'll have to wait
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchontheRocks ➡️
I'm confused because if they know that, why wouldn't they utilize that knowledge properly in a world where you can download a full-quality track in seconds? Anyways...

Why don't you just upload a 24-bit wav master to SoundCloud and listen to the effects of their conversion? Then you can adjust your master accordingly. It's a pain in the ass, but I don't really see any other way around it.
I'm pretty sure they get hundreds of demos a day. The first impression is what counts! I already uploaded both 24- and 16-bit WAV files and the result was bad. But then again, I haven't improvised with the headroom yet so I'll do that first and get back here then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempoo ➡️
A few very important aspects of preparing audio for SC:
- keep peaks at -0.5 and don't go up to zero dB
- don't clip master too much, more clipping=more artifacts in SC stream
- don't master too loud, -9dB RMS is good loudness
- upload mp3 320kbps - mp3 is smaller, can have tags [artist, title etc], any player will replay it, and it is much more 'portable' than flac/wave/aiff

just my two cents [dwa grosze]
Thanks, although, just like Twerk, I have to disagree on uploading any sort of MP3!
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twerk ➡️
Doesn't it then get transcoded to 128k? That's two stages of lossy compression. Seems bad.
Yes, it is then transcoded down to 128k, but I meant that it doesn't matter when enabling download option is 'on'. If you don't plan enabling download - then of course upload wave/aiff/flac etc.

BTW - try this track, it is encoded from 320mp3, do you hear artifacts?

Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempoo ➡️
Yes, it is then transcoded down to 128k, but I meant that it doesn't matter when enabling download option is 'on'. If you don't plan enabling download - then of course upload wave/aiff/flac etc.

BTW - try this track, it is encoded from 320mp3, do you hear artifacts?

WOW Sempoo! Very nice demo "reel" as it were! I don't hear artifacts..at all.

Very nice variety!

Take a listen to mine, if you would-do you hear artifacts?

https://soundcloud.com/#skyy38/indiana-jones-ringtone
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've just defaulted to uploading 320MP3's. I've tried everything and this seems to sound the best to me.
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy38 ➡️
WOW Sempoo! Very nice demo "reel" as it were! I don't hear artifacts..at all.

Very nice variety!

Take a listen to mine, if you would-do you hear artifacts?

https://soundcloud.com/#skyy38/indiana-jones-ringtone
There is crackling sound starting from 5 second of this track - it sounds like digital clipping to me.
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdasher ➡️
I don't know where you found this information but it isn't accurate. MP3 can happily be deoded to 16- or 24-bit fixed point audio but it isn't stored as either.
Ok, I did a bit of research on this and you're correct. I was wrong. The format itself will accept 24 bit files and decode to 24 bit files... if the encoder and decoder properly follow the mp3 spec and work as they're supposed to.

However, many of them don't.

I have no idea if the mp3 decoder that gets used when people listen on soundcloud supports decoding to 24 bit. I know it supports 16 bit though.

I also have no idea what happens to a file that is encoded from 24 bit and then decoded to 16 bit. But I somehow doubt it sounds better than one encoded from 16 bit and decoded to that same format.

I'd love to find a current resource on the web listing which encoders and decoders properly support 24 bit. I found a couple which seem to list that about 90% of decoders only support 16 bit, but they're out of date so I have no idea if it still holds true.
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After having tested all manner of aif and mp3 files from 24 bit aif down to 128mbps mp3...

... best results I've gotten are with uploading 24 bit aif.

Headroom is an issue I haven't dug into (all files were -.3 peaks), but I suspect it's part of what's killing my hats.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
i think dithers important
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Dither has no single thing to do with good sounding stream on SC.
Old 16th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat ➡️
There's so many threads that have been started about this, yet pretty much everyone fails to stay on topic, leaving useless threads with useless information on the top of Google search.

Anyway…

I am trying to obtain the best possible quality for SoundCloud streaming, that is, avoiding artefacts and such.

Here some things to know:

- No matter what format / bit rate you upload to SC, all files for streaming will be converted to 128k MP3. Which means every single sound you play on SoundCloud is in this format, at this bit rate.
- Files for download will be whatever you uploaded

Since it's getting converted to 128k MP3 anyway, what's the best format to upload? Many people say it would be a FLAC, AIFF or WAVE file in 24 bit.
But somewhere I read that WAVE 16 bit is better for converting to 128k MP3. Is this true? I know that I need some dithering in this case.

Some people also leave some headroom between ?0.3 and ?0.6 dB when uploaded, so there's some space for the encoding (I think that's what was meant).

Do you have any other tips? Do you believe WAVE 16 bit + Dithering is the best solution? How about Apple Losless? This is not getting offered for download so all that counts is how it sounds on 128k MP3.

Also please, don't trash this thread with posts on how Bandcamp is better and how MP3 is a ****ty format. Seriously, nobody cares. Get a life.

Thanks
Nobody is going to be able to tell the difference, dude. Just upload it in a halfway decent format and forget about it.

****, 90% of your listeners are just going to pirate a 128 kb MP3, anyways.
Old 5th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Please, SoundCloud... do something

Alright, I'm so sick of SoundCloud. They are one of the largest music community bases on the internet, and they have the ****tiest quality when it comes to actually listening to music; maybe even worse than Beatport *gasp!*.

I have 400+ followers on SoundCloud (i don't know why, it freaks me out) and that makes me conscious of the quality of the songs I put out.

I recently tried to upload a work in progress (attached at the end), which you should listen to first. TURN IT UP

And now you can hear how it came out on SoundCloud:

The high end sounds metallic, like i'm dropping a cookie sheet and breaking a wooden spoon in half for the hi-hats and snares...

I tried doing 16bit, dithering powr-1, powr-3, wav files, mp3 files, and even left 3db of headroom on it! It all sounded the same, like above.

So my final question:

Can anyone recommend any other music sharing sites?
Attached Files

Cowbell WIP master 3.mp3 (3.84 MB, 387 views)

Old 5th October 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat ➡️

Since it's getting converted to 128k MP3 anyway, what's the best format to upload? Many people say it would be a FLAC, AIFF or WAVE file in 24 bit.
But somewhere I read that WAVE 16 bit is better for converting to 128k MP3. Is this true? I know that I need some dithering in this case.
i just did some tests with this and I couldnt tell the difference between 24bit wav and 16.

Also could just barely tell the difference uploading 128kbps mp3

on top of that, a 128k mp3 converted in itunes sounds worlds better that the crap that comes out of soundcloud.. i don't really know what to make of all that
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigiza ➡️
Can anyone recommend any other music sharing sites?
Bandcamp can be used just to stream audio if desired. It is not mandatory to have uploads for sale.
Not amazing quality (still compressed heavy for streaming) but LOTS better than Soundcloud IMO. Plus AFAIK there doesn't seem to be any real limit on the amount of stuff you can upload.

I would imagine it better to upload whole tracks / projects though rather than using it to upload demo clips like a lot of people use Soundcloud for. If you are simply looking for a means to easily upload and share links to your completed works via Facebook, email etc etc, then I think Bandcamp could be a very good option.
Old 9th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Does anyone know if Soundcloud uses a version of Replay Gain -where a LU target playback level of say -18LUFS may cause loudness war style masters to sound worse than wider dynamic range masters?
Old 10th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I upload 24/192 aiff to soundcloud... Sounds good to me...

https://soundcloud.com/the-atomic-raygun
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the way to go to soundcloud or itunes is 24bit wav into their encoder.

then they do all the lossy stuff in one process. it will retain more of the original detail this way.

z
Old 17th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! ➡️
the way to go to soundcloud or itunes is 24bit wav into their encoder.

then they do all the lossy stuff in one process. it will retain more of the original detail this way.

z
Not possible with Soundcloud if the idea is to have an mp3 file available to download directly from the Soundcloud system.
Then people have no choice but to upload the exact version that they want their followers to d/l.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yesterday I uploaded my mastered EDM track (wav/16bit/44.100Hz) but damn what a bad sound quality does Soundcloud deliver. Most labels want SC links but how can they judge something like this properly? Because you can't enable the 'download' part. Otherwise it's no demo anymore but a free track.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frier tuck ➡️
i think dithers important
+1
📝 Reply