Mastering Speakers for 15x10 Room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Speakers for 15x10 Room
Old 25th January 2013

🎧 5 years
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a pair of Focal CMS65s with the CMS sub and they work great. Although they are not ideal for mastering, my masters translated very well to other mastering rooms. I am probably going to be upgrading to a pair of B&W's soon, but I'd recommend the Focals for sure.
Old 25th January 2013
Deleted 691ca21
Go straight for something high end if you can afford it: ATC, PMC, Grimm Audio, Lipinski, Dunlavy, Duntech, B&W (8xx range), Tyler etc. I may have missed a few, but these are the makers you tend to see in most pro mastering studios. You'll be looking at upwards of 6-7k for most of them if you are buying new though.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You'll be hard pressed to find good speakers that ACTUALLY give you usable information down to 30Hz without a sub.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➑️
You'll be hard pressed to find good speakers that ACTUALLY give you usable information down to 30Hz without a sub.
Tyler D1's do a great job down to 30Hz with no subs. Perhaps you mean in the mid-field category?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Without any information on the room at all, putting the speakers up against the heaviest wall is best.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Custom Mastering Monitors...

Can fit your exact budget with money-back guaranteed quality.
I'm in Boston and you could stop by when you're in town...
PM me for more details.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's will help too. Can't replace monitors but are great for checks in a small place. You should look at the Focals.
Old 26th January 2013

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchontheRocks ➑️
I have a pair of Focal CMS65s with the CMS sub and they work great. Although they are not ideal for mastering, my masters translated very well to other mastering rooms. I am probably going to be upgrading to a pair of B&W's soon, but I'd recommend the Focals for sure.
Apparently you're not "seriously mastering", hate to break it to you! at least, that's what I've read...
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm torn between Psi a25m, mm27, or atc25. Decisions, decisions... I'm leaning towards the barefoots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantummastering ➑️
Hey I've never heard anything other than Mackies and SLS mains, so can't say anything. I read posts of people bashing Genelecs as well, the 1030s, 1031s, 1032s and 8000 series. So apparently neither the Focals or Genelecs are good enough for 'serious mastering'. But in all honesty, they're probably more revealing than Mackies and have tighter low end. If nothing works out with Donnie, I think they could at least get me closer to 'serious'.
The danger of reading more than listening....Genelecs aren't everyone's favourites, but the 1031s are very common in studios in the UK. But for tracking/mixing - certainly more accurate than your mackies!

I think generally, anyone doing a proper mastering studio build will be spending so much in the room construction, spending $10k on monitoring to match makes sense. Are you planning on working on your room as well as your monitors? if not...might not be worth spending the cash.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➑️
Tyler MM5 are earth shaking that low. And a bit lower even. Highly recommended.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
geinthain are serious german speakers

musikelectronic geithain
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Apparently you're not "seriously mastering", hate to break it to you! at least, that's what I've read...
And people with only a handful of SM57's aren't "seriously tracking."
And people mixing on headphones aren't "seriously mixing."
And people without Tempurpedic Clouds aren't "seriously sleeping."
And people driving cheap cars aren't "seriously driving."

My masters have translated very well to higher-end mastering studios, so apparently I'm doing something right.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
LOL, already have them.

Will have to hear Focals but I've read that no one uses them seriously for mastering. Don't know why.
Glad to hear you have the beyers. But Focals can be great for mattering at the level you are trying to master at and are probably far more accurate ate than Mackies. A room that small would never be used for serious mastering in the first place. What you want to do is get your little room treated to minimize bass build up and get the most accurate monitors that you can get for a room that small. You should get midfields with 5 to 6 inch woofers max. Set up your room based on the 39% rule. Good luck.
Old 26th January 2013

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Will have to hear Focals but I've read that no one uses them seriously for mastering. Don't know why.
Quote:
<to NOTR>Apparently you're not "seriously mastering", hate to break it to you! at least, that's what I've read...
Quote:
And people with only a handful of SM57's aren't "seriously tracking."
And people mixing on headphones aren't "seriously mixing."
And people without Tempurpedic Clouds aren't "seriously sleeping."
And people driving cheap cars aren't "seriously driving."

My masters have translated very well to higher-end mastering studios, so apparently I'm doing something right.
I hope you didn't think I was insulting you NOTR! See above for my thought processes

Although I'd rather not have my music mixed by someone only working on headphones...
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i see nobody mentioned PSI.
those A-25M are the most linear speaker ever made on earth.
Tyler acustic are also very good.
But the most important thing is that u'd give em a try in your room.
Cause whatever speaker u'll get would react differently with your place.
What u see on those technical specifications is about anechoic chamber and not about the actual place where we set em.

Precision Studio Monitors | PSIAudio
PSI Audio | Swiss Precision Studio Monitors on Vimeo
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I hope you didn't think I was insulting you NOTR! See above for my thought processes

Although I'd rather not have my music mixed by someone only working on headphones...
No, it's all good.

I just know there are people that actually have that way of thinking, especially when it comes to topics like this.

Advice on the Focals...The mids and highs are decently accurate and translate well to other systems, but the low end leaves something to be desired, even with a sub. You'll have to do a lot of listening and tweaking to really understand how low frequencies behave/translate.
Old 27th January 2013

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yea I may sell the Mackies for something much more accurate and revealing but that's about it.

I think that would be too much for me because my room is already built pretty well, with filled cinder block for backwall, ceiling, and floor, and drywall for sides and front. If anything I just need to treat the ceiling and sides and front with some panels or diffusers. Only the back wall is treated now and I'm getting great imaging with almost no reflections except a bit from the sides. I may get some corner bass traps as well, but really my ears are good enough once I get some truly flat speakers, as the Mackies have a wide Q scoop in the midrange.

You know I think the secret is in the model number, I'm not sure if anyone else thought about this but the Mackie HR824 has lots of boomy bass, scooped midrange, and normal highs. If you look at the model number it's "824". So "8" would be bass, "2" scooped midrange, and "4" normal highs for what they are. If the Mackies were truly flat, their model number would be HR444. See what I mean.
FYI, bass trapping is absolutely essential in any room you want to be true. You can't call yourself a "professional mastering engineer" and ignore bass trapping. Spend a few dollars with a consultancy company and have them plan your space, then do the building yourself - its not hard and you can make a massive improvement.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ I wouldn't keep harping on it. He's mentioned in other threads that he's not interested in room treatment. At least to my interpretation.
Old 27th January 2013

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I agree and will install some if there's need for them. The thing is the only space I have left for bass traps is the ceiling. Everything else is blocked by furniture. The room is 15 wide so the bass has enough free space to let me hear correctly.

Things will of course depend on the mixes too. Even though the Mackies are muddy in the lows I can still hear the difference between EDM and Rock. It's all about finding the sweet spot really, even after treatment.
There's the need for them. Unfortunately by your comments I don't think you understand the basics of acoustics. Have you ever heard the term "standing wave"? That's what you'll have in your room...doesn't matter how big it is.

Also worrying you don't have enough space for trapping in a mastering space!

Hearing the difference between edm and rock isn't hard in a untreated space...but getting each right might be!
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There's the need for them. Unfortunately by your comments I don't think you understand the basics of acoustics. Have you ever heard the term "standing wave"? That's what you'll have in your room...doesn't matter how big it is.

Also worrying you don't have enough space for trapping in a mastering space!

Hearing the difference between edm and rock isn't hard in a untreated space...but getting each right might be!

For a frame of reference:

I'm (currently) in an 12' x 15' x 8' Room, and I have 20 2' x 4' panels up. Bass traps are 6" thick (2 panels tall), and the other panels are 4" thick. RT60 levels are pretty good, though I could really do more. That should give you an idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm in a fairly small room and use Barefoot MM27s.

They sound great.

Treat the room.

Take a look at GIK Acoustics. I have 8 tri traps (2 stacked in each corner) and 8 of the 244 panels throughout the room. Night and day difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
$1200 for this: Mastering Speakers for 15x10 RoomGIK Acoustics Panels 2 Screens 2 244 Bass Traps and 3 242 Panels | eBay

LOL, I could build 3 Roxul panels at 4"x24"x48" for $150, and get equal performance. Can't beat that.

Easy, buddy. He's just trying to help.

Also, I built like 6 panels for 150. ~14 for 2 2" panels, ~8 per panel for burlap, ~10 for wood/hardware.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Barefoots are twice as expensive for custom ones that Don offered. But they would sure fit my room the best.

$1200 for this: Mastering Speakers for 15x10 RoomGIK Acoustics Panels 2 Screens 2 244 Bass Traps and 3 242 Panels | eBay

LOL, I could build 3 Roxul panels at 4"x24"x48" for $150 total, and get equal performance. Can't beat that.
I have nothing but good things to say about the Barefoots.

Check the site Audiogon too. Maybe you can find something used in your budget. Some great finds on there from time to time.

Build away my friend!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
B&W 805d are 5k a pair. You could save the cost of a sub by building one yourself. Still requires an amp.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm easy and thankful for all the help. However this is a thread about best speakers for a small room, not treatment, so it would help to leave that out for a new thread.
I'm speechless...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 27th January 2013

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm easy and thankful for all the help. However this is a thread about best speakers for a small room, not treatment, so it would help to leave that out for a new thread.
The two are related. If you don't sort your room, don't bother buying new speakers - you won't hear the benefit.
Old 27th January 2013

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know how my room sounds and once I get the right speakers I'll be happy. Standing waves are easy to deal with them once you find the sweet spot. I have great hearing too (20hz-18khz), don't forget that

My biggest pet peeve is stereo balance, imaging, and of course speaker accuracy. Everything else I find easy to get around.
Your hearing is irrelevant. Seriously, it's not in question and you can only hear as good as your room.

Standing waves...well, if you think you can keep your head in the exact same position all the time, good luck to you! I'm not sure you fully understand. A room with significant standing wave action can't be trusted - especially for mastering. The point is that room treatment enlarges the sweet spot. At the moment, it's doubtful your room has a sweet spot where everything is balanced.

But hey - it's not like I have a degree in acoustics or anything (I'm being sarcastic; I do).

You'll still be struggling with amazing speakers in a small room. Why not leave the ego at the door, and listen to those trying to help you?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➑️
I'm torn between Psi a25m, mm27, or atc25. Decisions, decisions... I'm leaning towards the barefoots.
That would be my list - currently loving my ATC 25's.
πŸ“ Reply