Mastering Speakers for 15x10 Room
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantummastering ➑️
HipHope? LOL. That genre sure needs hope nowadays.

How did you hear the low end, especially in hip hop? Is 30hz-40hz enough for me for all music?
a speaker have a roll of and didn't stop immediately at one frequenzy, you just have to learn to translate - and not every speaker who goes to 35Hz give you the same impresson of the low end.
the psi 215 is for my one of the smallest speaker who give enough information about the low end for mastering, 35hz on a 215 act quiet big, as long you didn't need very high levels.
but a bigger speaker in your room is by experience not a good idea & and also didn't give you a control < 35Hz.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
check this one

audio.2.1.a

very good drivers (scan speak) €3500.-/pair
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Your kidding...
- searching for a fullrange mastering speaker due to 20Hz
- mentioned Lipinski, ATC etc.
and €1750,- for a full active loudspeaker with great components is "way too expensive"...
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantummastering ➑️
I don't need the absolute best German quality mastering speakers,
Nobody has mentioned something here yet...
Teebaums hint is a very affordable solution with still very good quality.

Price wise you may want to look here:
&mdash; Strauss Elektroakustik

or

Analoger Referenz Studiomonitor [:mono] Professional von surrounTec
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
there are a lot masteringstudios with huge rooms, acoustic threatments for > €50000.-, monitoring for > €20000.- and rates lower than yours, but you think € 3500.- for a mastering speaker is expensive?
we talking about mastering not "haphazardling", but mabye your a genius & able to hear on cheesy speakers in a small room more precisley
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
teo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
100dB SPL is nightclub volume.
I wish!

Your comment is spot on though...
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Recently heard MM27 in aprx 10x15 room(upgrade from focal twins)
they sounded amazing.
had me 2nd guessing my Tyler D1s ...but Tyler D1 great so far. just 2nd guessing...
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Why do all these Quantummastering threads either get deleted or locked or partly deleted?
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/maste...uidelines.html

Please make sure you fully understand and follow sub forum rules like over posting (i.e. being overly active as a result of following a specific agenda) and spamming (promoting your business, like in discussing, arguing or creating threads about rates or the validity of Mastering itself)
Old 28th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchontheRocks ➑️
And people with only a handful of SM57's aren't "seriously tracking."
And people mixing on headphones aren't "seriously mixing."
And people without Tempurpedic Clouds aren't "seriously sleeping."
And people driving cheap cars aren't "seriously driving."

My masters have translated very well to higher-end mastering studios, so apparently I'm doing something right.
I applaud you for doing your best to get the job done, despite the naysayers that think _their_ way is the _only_ way.

Everyone has ears -- whose to say better ears can't do a good job despite lesser tools?

Hmmm?

Everyone has a right to their own option -- some opinions = fact... some = less than fact.
Old 28th January 2015
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I thought Credence Clearwater Revival sounded pretty exciting and they certainly sold millions of records. They were recorded mostly with 57s and mixed on Altec 604 speakers.

The elephant in the mastering room is Bob Ludwig's cutting room at Masterdisk in New York. The room treatment consisted of two rolled up pieces of foam placed in the back corners. The number of classic albums mastered in that room is staggering and I've never heard an album he mastered for me in a "better room" that would lead me to change a thing.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 Bob ...
Old 28th January 2015
Deleted 691ca21
Agree too. I mastered a load of commercial albums in a tiny box room on Yamaha MSP5s. Was it ideal? No. Did it work, were the clients happy, and did it translate well to other systems? Yes. I do think monitor quality and experience trump room treatment, even though I know it's heresy to say that these days.
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Old topic ... but ...

Modern low end in electronic and rock sources is not something Bob would ever want to do in that old room where better engineering and hi pass made things easy on CCR type material.

A room that small will need a lot of help and even then it won't be very good at fixing and exploiting the low end. Leave a corner door open, and you extend the bass trapping area into the adjoining space ... that's all you can do.

And a monitor that's very tight and linear on the bottom.

Enjoy

Last edited by lucey; 28th January 2015 at 12:06 PM..
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i just upgraded the treatment in my 10x12 room and it was a remarkable difference. I just got a pair of 8040s and they sounded a little hyped with the old cheaper treatment. With the new treatment and proper bass traps they really started to behave and sound natural. Bass is much more balanced now. I still need to get some traps on my back corners, but just having them in the font corners made a world of difference.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
This thread is a joke, what's with the OP deleting nearly every single one of his own posts?!

Impossible to read any thread to this conversation. Does he not know his own mind? Think before speaking and maybe you'll not have to delete every single comment you make. Weird.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
I thought Credence Clearwater Revival sounded pretty exciting and they certainly sold millions of records. They were recorded mostly with 57s and mixed on Altec 604 speakers.

The elephant in the mastering room is Bob Ludwig's cutting room at Masterdisk in New York. The room treatment consisted of two rolled up pieces of foam placed in the back corners. The number of classic albums mastered in that room is staggering and I've never heard an album he mastered for me in a "better room" that would lead me to change a thing.
CCR was exciting for one reason only, John Fogerty. The records sounded pretty crappy.
Bob was using a cutting master created in a proper room.
Old 28th January 2015
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Bob was cutting masters directly from my tapes in the same room he held our sessions in. There was no "proper" room, there were no "cutting masters" and he was doing some of the finest work in the world that way as were Doug Sax and Bernie Grundman in similar rooms.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Bob was cutting masters directly from my tapes in the same room he held our sessions in. There was no "proper" room, there were no "cutting masters" and he was doing some of the finest work in the world that way as were Doug Sax and Bernie Grundman in similar rooms.
If you say so.
Good tapes good lacquers.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
anyone have higher res of this?
Attached Thumbnails
Mastering Speakers for 15x10 Room-safe_image.php.jpeg  
Old 29th January 2015
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Is that picture Masterdisk or Sterling?
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is that picture Masterdisk or Sterling?
I assume Masterdisk as one of the lathes is with me now. and that exact white lamp
πŸ“ Reply