Quantcast
Fraunhofer for MFIT - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fraunhofer for MFIT
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Fraunhofer for MFIT

According to Apple, AAC encoding can only be performed on a mac, which is a problem for the majority of mastering houses who work on PCs. We have a Pyramix rig running on our PC and therefore cannot run the AU plugins apple provides for Mastered for iTunes certified studios.
So now I decided to buy the Sonnox Fraunhofer plugin to which apparently has a setting that gets close to what iTunes does when converting files. Has anyone tested exactly how close it gets and whether it is sufficient for doing MFITs?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Woe to you pc
for the ignorant send the beast with wrath
because he knows all data is alike
let him who hath a computer reckon the buffer of the beast
for it is the same buffer
and filled with six hundred and sixty six
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well that's not true, AAC encoders are readily available for windows as well. Built in in sequoia.
But mfit might be limited to macs though.
Old 25th January 2013
Deleted 691ca21
Pretty sure Foobar2K should be able to do it, with an external component, although haven't had to make one in a long time.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I was wondering about the tools fro MFIT for PC. Shouldn't we just go to apple with a lot of ME's with some kind of poll and ask apple for a pc version?
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH ➡️
Well that's not true, AAC encoders are readily available for windows as well. Built in in sequoia.
But mfit might be limited to macs though.
It's not the same codec. This is what Sonnox wrote me:

"Please be aware that that the Mastered for iTunes Apple codec is available for Mac computers only.

The Pro-Codec uses the same Apple codecs and re-samplers that are used for the current iTunes Catalogue. The Apple codecs and re-samplers are components of the Mac OSX operating system.

On Windows computers, the closest approximation to the iTunes Plus codec is to select Fraunhofer AAC-LC codec set to highest quality VBR at 256kbps.
"
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma ➡️
Pretty sure Foobar2K should be able to do it, with an external component, although haven't had to make one in a long time.
But Foobar can't be run in real-time as a plugin (can it??). Bouncing and listening afterward is no good! Would totally cripple my workflow. And again the Sonnox guys as well as Apple state that the exact codec used for the itunes catalogue is only available on a mac and PC versions are just similar...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls ➡️
Woe to you pc
for the ignorant send the beast with wrath
because he knows all data is alike
let him who hath a computer reckon the buffer of the beast
for it is the same buffer
and filled with six hundred and sixty six
Listening to Stairway To Heaven backwards again, are we?

LOL!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose ➡️
I was wondering about the tools fro MFIT for PC. Shouldn't we just go to apple with a lot of ME's with some kind of poll and ask apple for a pc version?
Good luck! If a pro ME doesn't already have a Mac, this would be the perfect time to buy one as a business deduction (probably save/print the MFiT .pdf where it states the software is Mac only).

I would like them to expand the tools to allow more metadata encoding; these days a lot of artists want artwork and credits on their "web" masters; no problem doing this for MP3s and I thought the MFiT program would allow more functionality when it comes to adding everything artists/clients expect to see from iTunes-ready files.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
it makes no real difference. just send good 24/44 files, the sampling conversion in MFIT is not up to snuff at last check.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelistics ➡️
Bouncing and listening afterward is no good! Would totally cripple my workflow.
Seriously? It takes seconds to encode a file. How do you feel about waiting to burn a disk or upload files?

The difference between the profile used for Windows vs. Mac is Mac's uses "backwards prediction", meaning future information can help define current information. Oh yeah, and it totally IS available for Windows and in freeware form.
Old 25th January 2013
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
The current windows version of i-tunes includes an encoder. I don't hear a significant difference between it and the one in the Sonnox plug-in set to 256 variable. Their sample rate conversion may sound different but it has a reputation for not being as good as the very best stand alone ones so you'd probably not want to let Apple sample rate convert your masters to 44.1.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➡️
Seriously? It takes seconds to encode a file. How do you feel about waiting to burn a disk or upload files?

Maybe so but if you find out you went too far level wise or maybe the conversion shows spectral changes, you're gonna have to go back and do adjustments again, export again, rename etc.. Plus you'd have to do this between every track (maybe more than once?).
That's why I got the Fraunhofer plugin. One click.The only thing I'm concerned about is whether their conversion translates well enough to Apples conversion.
Anyone tried it or know of another VST plugin as an alternative?
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Of course the MFIT codec is just for monitoring. Apple makes the final output.

Just get a mac mini for monitoring MFIT files (not to mention it's good to have a mac sitting around) If you're a pro studio (which you have to be to be MFIT certified anyway) there is little excuse not to have one on hand.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If you want to preview *exactly*what happens to your files when you send them to Apple there is absolutely *no* way around than to get a Mac (hell, even a cheap Mac mini, old iMac etc. that runs the current OS will do) and use the free tools (the exact same tools that Apple uses) available at Apple's MFIT page.

I highly recommend Bob Katz's book on Apple's MFIT program! I've read and reviewed the book on my website a month or so ago and my conclusion at the time was that if your stuff ends up on iTunes and you don't already know exactly what will happen to your music, then you owe it to your clients to get that book! (Not affiliated or sponsored, just my $0.02).
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasters ➡️
Of course the MFIT codec is just for monitoring. Apple makes the final output.
Of course!

Quote:
Just get a mac mini for monitoring MFIT files (not to mention it's good to have a mac sitting around) If you're a pro studio (which you have to be to be MFIT certified anyway) there is little excuse not to have one on hand.
We already have a mac running pro tools for playback of source files. So we are already running the AU plugins and are already certified. It's just about optimizing the workflow from here. Getting another mac and connecting it digitally to Pyramix outputs is what seems to be the best solution although a bit elaborate considering the Fraunhofer plugin is supposedly very similar.
Maybe I'll have to do some more A/Bing myself to find out whether I can live with it..
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by André E. ➡️
If you want to preview *exactly*what happens to your files when you send them to Apple there is absolutely *no* way around than to get a Mac .
And there's no way to preview how the project you're working on today will sound when downloaded next year. The sound of the codec is and always will be a moving target. Just make the master sound good, avoid codec clipping and you've done all you can do.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson ➡️
And there's no way to preview how the project you're working on today will sound when downloaded next year. The sound of the codec is and always will be a moving target. Just make the master sound good, avoid codec clipping and you've done all you can do.
My thoughts, too, Greg.
Particularly given any potential of Apple shifting to ALAC (more reason to encode from, and for them to store 24 bit native sample rate, bypassing SRC)... if not at least 320kbps AAC+. Afterall, it is 2013 innit?!
📝 Reply