Where are these guys??

Most of them actually made sense - and still do - except for the O.P.:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/maste...verything.html
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
They're still out there but got tired of the GS games.

I do a lot of remastering work - mostly from the original analog sources. Luckily, almost none of it gets run through the loudness mill so we can just enjoy the music. Those are fun days.

I talked to a group of students on Wednesday. I played a bunch of great sounding music from the late '70s through a few years ago. Then they each got to play something they thought sounded great. Even though they didn't know much of the music I played they really liked it and were stunned at how small their favorite stuff sounded next to it. Based on their comments it's clear they had never experienced music that wasn't a casualty of loudness before that day. And these guys are planning to make careers in music.

Hopefully it made an impression and will influence their future work in some positive way.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
^^^^^

My interns are always amazed when I play some vinyl or something off reel to reel tape.
They always say it sounds more "real"

It is also very interesting when you play an MP3 of a song and then play the same thing as a .WAV or .AIFF file.

Too bad a lot of the current generation has never heard music on a good stereo system and do most of their "listening" on cheap ear buds or their 2" speakers on their laptop computer. They really are missing a lot of the enjoyment of music but I guess music today is just another masking background sound and has become much like wallpaper for people's lives. Something that is there but really not noticed. Too bad...
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru
I suspect in 20 odd years there will be a mastering sub-industry to "fix" what the current "Squashing Engineers" are doing to modern music.

Expect a flurry of re-mastered CD's or files with the squashing removed once these "dark ages" of audio production are finished with.

However, the results will be mixed. Those recordings that were sent out with some dynamics left will have some success. Those that sent out pre-squashed mixes will be screwed, again. Then again, in 20 years no one will want to listen to most of this crap anyway.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
I suspect in 20 odd years there will be a mastering sub-industry to "fix" what the current "Squashing Engineers" are doing to modern music.

Expect a flurry of re-mastered CD's or files with the squashing removed once these "dark ages" of audio production are finished with.

However, the results will be mixed. Those recordings that were sent out with some dynamics left will have some success. Those that sent out pre-squashed mixes will be screwed, again. Then again, in 20 years no one will want to listen to most of this crap anyway.
You and The_K_Man should go for an ice cream.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntley Miller ➡️
You and The_K_Man should go for an ice cream.
Hey at least we care, Hunt!

And as long as the original masters(from 1995 and earlier) are still intact it will be awesome to reissue them - unfutzed with, in glorious 24bt 96K sound!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_K_Man ➡️
Hey at least we care, Hunt!

And as long as the original masters(from 1995 and earlier) are still intact it will be awesome to reissue them - unfutzed with, in glorious 24bt 96K sound!
Oh, I care quite a bit actually. But I also run a service business. In fact, I'm taking a break to respond in the middle of a 14-track album that is so loud, you would immediately report me to Turn Me Up or whoever is handing out the DR meters.

So, are you a teacher? Retiree? Audiophile? Aspiring engineer?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntley Miller ➡️
Oh, I care quite a bit actually. But I also run a service business. In fact, I'm taking a break to respond in the middle of a 14-track album that is so loud, you would immediately report me to Turn Me Up or whoever is handing out the DR meters.

So, are you a teacher? Retiree? Audiophile? Aspiring engineer?
Call me the "bad cop"!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…