Punk Master - Too "In Your Face"?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Punk Master - Too "In Your Face"??
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Punk Master - Too "In Your Face"??

Hi,

My band recently had a song mastered at a mid-budget studio. I can't put my finger on it, but I hoped maybe somebody here could. To me it sounds a little too "in your face" in a bad way. I don't know if it's the EQ on the highs or the compression on the guitar or what - but I know it sounds too aggressive. I would like to be able to know what to tell the Mastering engineer so he can fix it. Can anyone help out in terms of what's wrong with this pop/punk mastered track? We wanted it to sound vintage/retro but still well-balanced. Thanks much!

https://soundcloud.com/pedico/samoan2-1
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're looking for an honest assessment, it's a terrible recording, and a terrible mix. As such, it's difficult to guess at the quality of the mastering job. To my ears, it's simultaneously too crunchy in the upper mids and top end, and too boomy and muddy in the bottom.

Really great tune, though. I like it very much.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch ➑️
If you're looking for an honest assessment, it's a terrible recording, and a terrible mix. As such, it's difficult to guess at the quality of the mastering job. To my ears, it's simultaneously too crunchy in the upper mids and top end, and too boomy and muddy in the bottom.

This.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I liked the 70s punk where things were intentionally clattery & raw, but they were still done by good engineers and had vibe. Instead of a good studio/engineer getting a raw sound, this is more like a home studio trying to sound like a pro trying to get a raw sound if that makes any sense. In other words, I agree with the other guys. Mastering doesn't have a lot to do with the problems with the sound here.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot guys, I guess maybe this would be better posted to a mixing recording forum. I appreciate the input.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Maybe if there was before and after samples could be more helpful?
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch ➑️

Kinda harsh, and honestly, while it is FAR from a great recording, it isn't an awful mix. It may not agree with your tastes (and frankly, it doesn't really agree with mine either), but I take it for what it is: an amateur recording. It is better-sounding than the track that plays directly after it. I think some more thought out panning could help the track a ton. It sounds like everything is in the center except the drum overheads. I can't really comment on the mastering because I don't know what the ME had to work with.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchontheRocks ➑️
Kinda harsh, and honestly, while it is FAR from a great recording, it isn't an awful mix. It may not agree with your tastes (and frankly, it doesn't really agree with mine either), but I take it for what it is: an amateur recording. It is better-sounding than the track that plays directly after it. I think some more thought out panning could help the track a ton. It sounds like everything is in the center except the drum overheads. I can't really comment on the mastering because I don't know what the ME had to work with.
To each his own, I suppose.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I kinda like it, I hear the harshness, but the balance, for what I guess...is what it is...is okay. The other track sounds a bit harsher to me.
Being older, sounds punk to me though.

But most stuff on iTunes sounds harsh too.

For today, I'd say Samoan is decent.

Check out this version of Blitzkreig Bop, off kilter for sure.

The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop (Music Video w/ Lyrics) - YouTube

So OP, you were happy with the mix, and now it sounds unbalanced?

_sh

(FS, Q8, Altec, RCA mics)

Last edited by shmasterer; 24th January 2013 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: ammended
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I do quite a bit of raw 70's punk stuff and, to my ears, it sounds like there's some kind of interaction between the bass and everything else going on - like a compressor with a really short release time. Otherwise, the mix isn't too bad if you are going for a raw sound although I would say that the drum playing lets things down a bit - but again, some people like things to sound shambolic.

James
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I only deal with underground stuff like punk, post-punk, indie and all that sh*t. I think that the recording is good. But i think that in mastering it needs some old-fashion sound. Tell to the engineer that you need it less loud, less harsh. It should sound saturated, but in the TAPE way. Make it dirty and fat.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…