Quantcast
Sonoris Mastering Comp vs Elysia Alpha - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonoris Mastering Comp vs Elysia Alpha
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sonoris Mastering Comp vs Elysia Alpha

I'm in the midst of demoing both plugins, but I figured I'd look for other peoples opinions. Has anyone compared both?

I'm leaning towards the Alpha, because I quite like the slight amount of color it seems to add, but the workflow of the Sonoris is really appealing to me, too, as well as the two separate knees.

Any users of either plugin care to chime in?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I see no countdown on the Sonoris demo, even though it's supposed to be a ten day time limit with no other limitations. Will it just stop working in ten days?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Yes, it just stops working at the end of the demo period.

Although if my memory serves me correctly, mine told me how many days were left when I first opened the program each day.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
No indication of days on mine.

Did you end up purchasing it?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Actually no - but that was in no way because I did not like the plugin.
I think it is very clean, smooth and versatile + seems like pretty good value for money.
I did think to buy it but I think that's when some repairs needed doing so didn't really have the spare cash.

There are some great free / very cheap comps out at the moment though.

Klanghelm DC8C is pretty remarkable and really worth a go, no demo but the price is a no-brainer.
The DC8C is more tweakable and you can get various types of behaviour out of it. It's like having lots of different comps in one.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'd heard good things about the DC8C, I just never thought of it as a mastering comp. I'll look into it.

I can't tell yet if the alpha can be as transparent as the Sonoris, although I do find myself liking its very subtle warming function.

Any elysia alpha users?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
You've got me wanting that Sonoris again now...

I recall it having a rather effortless feel and a precise sounding output. I couldn't fault the quality of the processing on that side.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink ➑️
You've got me wanting that Sonoris again now...
Hope I didn't cost you any money!

The addict in me (or gearslut, if I must) just wants to buy both.

These seem to be two of the most popular plugin mastering compressors on the market -- I'm surprised no one has chimed in comparing the two.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I seem to remember seeing people comparing them in a fairly recent post...
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Having spent some time demoing both tonight, I have to say I'm not really that much closer to a decision.

They both sound great, having tested each one on several different types of material. I'm leaning towards the alpha because the eq seems like a useful tone shaper and the soft clip could come in handy. My only complaint is how much space is wasted in the GUI...

Also, the way parallel compression is set up on the Sonoris seems unnecessarily difficult. I struggled with it for a while, finally finding a setting I was happy with, but returning to the simple wet/dry knob on the alpha was such a relief.

But that extra knee on the Sonoris...
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i like the alpha, the sonoris is very transparent, but a bit boring, the alpha give a little "mojo" to the music
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These Tokyo Dawn Labs | Tokyo Dawn Records are very good and clean compressors that behaves similar to the Sonoris (as far as I remember when demoed it).Worth a try.

Ciro
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro ➑️
These Tokyo Dawn Labs | Tokyo Dawn Records are very good and clean compressors that behaves similar to the Sonoris (as far as I remember when demoed it).Worth a try.

Ciro
Unfortunately, I'm on a mac, so I can't use those. I appreciate it, though.

I'm leaning towards the alpha. It can be pretty much just as clean as the Sonoris, but it can also get more aggressive and colorful if need be -- plus, pluginalliance is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Alpha is more versatile, Sonoris is cleaner. Both are some of the best plug ins about, check out fluxaudio too, amazing stuff.

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plug_ins/solera2
http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plug_ins/elixir
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I agree about setting up Parallel on the Sonoris being rather unintuitive. The implementation almost seems a bit 'backwards' if that makes any sense.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Haarp, I've looked at the flux stuff, but it just doesn't appeal to me -- too many options, without the mojo of (say) alpha. I can certainly see Alchemist being a useful tool for me one day, however.

I've decided on the alpha, unless anyone else has a recommendation?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
You should also try FabFilter Pro-C. I use it from time to time as it can be very very transparent.

I do have the alpha plugin and it is very good, one of the best plugins out there.

I also have the Flux:: plugins but the fact they are not 64bit makes me not use them a lot.

All of them are great and you would be well served with any. I don't know the sonoris so I can't compare with it.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The Flux stuff just seemed to do 'what I told it', as in matches so closely with what I expect, plus it's comprehensive. Doesn't sound as good as the PT10 channel strip though.

Fab Filter C is good, but i never gelled with it, it's amazing clean though, odd, I love most of their stuff.

Alpha is great, and easy to use, plus it can be abused for some other effects.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering ➑️
You should also try FabFilter Pro-C. I use it from time to time as it can be very very transparent.

I do have the alpha plugin and it is very good, one of the best plugins out there.

I also have the Flux:: plugins but the fact they are not 64bit makes me not use them a lot.

All of them are great and you would be well served with any. I don't know the sonoris so I can't compare with it.
My thoughts exactly on the Fabfilter Pro-C and Alpha. You might also take a look at the Vertigo VSC-2. Very flexible.

Don't have any experience with Flux or Sonoris.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I love FabFilter's stuff, but Pro-C doesn't offer me any advantages in mastering over the Alpha, and for mixing I tend to reach first for other plugins I can set up more quickly for specific tasks.
Alpha it is, then. Thanks for the advice.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Another +1 for the sonoris. If I'm not working on material that needs The Glue, smcp is the go-to. I like the interface as well as clean sound, I like the simplicity and functionality of it as well as the mastering eq, and (insignificant to the topic) but appreciate Pieter / the sonoris company. There's no one better to deal with. Don't use my fab pro-c for much and didn't care for the alpha interface while demoing.
Old 15th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sonoris hands down

I did I shootout with ProC, Compassion, Sonoris, and Alpha

there is absolutely no comparison
Sonoris hands down.
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

For mastering compression from my perspective it was without a doubt Sonoris. It's extremely tight or smooth. Absolutely transparent tonality which is exactly what i want from a mastering plugin compressor. If i want color i go analog. I actually like the parallel output. And i like the fact that i can essentially get the compression envelope to act or react like pretty much any compressor that i can think of.
Old 7th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie ➑️
I did I shootout with ProC, Compassion, Sonoris, and Alpha

there is absolutely no comparison
Sonoris hands down.
I agree with you on that, I'm surprised that the Alpha gets mentioned along with the Sonoris, I just feel like the Sonoris is in a league of it's own for precise, clean compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➑️
For mastering compression from my perspective it was without a doubt Sonoris. It's extremely tight or smooth. Absolutely transparent tonality which is exactly what i want from a mastering plugin compressor. If i want color i go analog. I actually like the parallel output. And i like the fact that i can essentially get the compression envelope to act or react like pretty much any compressor that i can think of.
Me too.

I've been thinking about getting a full license for Sonoris lately. I mastered a full album at the time and it had expired, and I really like how it tightens up the mix without making it sound hazy, which I find the Alpha does.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
alpha has more options and a great sound,the Sonoris is very smooth but boring .
Both are very nice.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by takka360 ➑️
alpha has more options and a great sound,the Sonoris is very smooth but boring .
Both are very nice.
Ya I mean, I like the Alpha compressor, I think both compressors are different enough that they both have their uses.
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Alpha does sound like "clean analogue" as opposed to super transparent digital clarity, but it does have a massive amount of options and is ergonomically almost perfect, I use it a lot, as well as the DC8C which also has a whole load of functionality but a different vibe.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness ➑️
Alpha does sound like "clean analogue" as opposed to super transparent digital clarity, but it does have a massive amount of options and is ergonomically almost perfect, I use it a lot, as well as the DC8C which also has a whole load of functionality but a different vibe.
For sure, I use it a lot myself. it sounds real nice especially at 64 bits. That and 64 bits Equilibrium, mixed with Nebula EQ, just perfect for me.
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sonoris is the closest sounding digital compression to the hardware Alpha's compression action sound. It is in a league of its own as far as VST is concerned.

If I couldn't use my Alpha hardware I would be using Sonoris.

Cant say the same thing about the plugin version of the Alpha.
πŸ“ Reply