Sonoris Mastering Comp vs Elysia Alpha
Old 9th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk ➡️
Sonoris is the closest sounding digital compression to the hardware Alpha's compression action sound. It is in a league of its own as far as VST is concerned.

If I couldn't use my Alpha hardware I would be using Sonoris.

Cant say the same thing about the plugin version of the Alpha.
really?
i should maybe give sonoris a second chance, in my first trial i prefered the tdr feedback compressor over the sonoris.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It probably reflects different approaches to using compression.
I don't use parallel for a start.
I use the Alpha with a slow stack and super fast release most of the time.

I had the opposite impression comparing TD to Sonoris.

I was feeding them with plugins that I would use for mastering at the time so its all dependent on that as well as Music etc. I must say that it is just the comparison with only the compression movement. The Alpha has a lot more than that.

Seeing if I can get the same results from ITB.

DMG equilibrium and Sonoris have certainly narrowed the gap.

Can't find anything that comes remotely close to the Fairman TMC tho.

Hardware still has quite an edge from my experience.
Old 9th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I use the Alpha with a slow stack and super fast release most of the time.
Same, with the program dependent mode, then I try all the linked/unlinked modes in M/S and L/R usually something goes "ahh that's the one", if not, I pull out the DC8C which has a while different kinda clean.

When the Alpha works, it sounds so solid, it's like a VCA without the extra stuff I associate with not liking VCA hardware in the past.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
interesting, I haven;t checked DC8 compressor, being honest, I do reach for digital compression on very rare occasions,
I like alpha, and I use it as well as Sonoris -from time to time, but my fav digital comp is still psp mastercomp,
and if I aim for delicate/transparent and clinical compression, then psp mastercomp is my first choice,
all 3 compressors are top quality and works very well
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
DC8C I haven't 100% cracked yet, I think it's reacting a bit odd time wise as I'm getting some slightly overexcited sounding transients going on, but the amount of control of the threshold is unrivaled in expensive plugs!
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DC8 is definitely my favourite software compressor (I remember liking the Sonoris as well but I demo'd it a long time ago). I don't use it very often as hardware is usually handling compression duties but I love the ability to limit the total amount of compression to a specified amount of db. Super useful if you want the sound of compression in a quiet verse but not in an overly loud chorus.
Old 10th July 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering ➡️
DC8 is definitely my favourite software compressor (I remember liking the Sonoris as well but I demo'd it a long time ago). I don't use it very often as hardware is usually handling compression duties but I love the ability to limit the total amount of compression to a specified amount of db. Super useful if you want the sound of compression in a quiet verse but not in an overly loud chorus.
Despite owning it since the beginning, I've only just started to really dig in to DC8C, and so far only really for tracking, but the results are good. Would be interested to hear what settings people are using for mastering duties, and how do you do that "Max amount of compression in dB" thing?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma ➡️
Despite owning it since the beginning, I've only just started to really dig in to DC8C, and so far only really for tracking, but the results are good. Would be interested to hear what settings people are using for mastering duties, and how do you do that "Max amount of compression in dB" thing?
DC8C Overview

Threshold: Range

It basically stops is seeing any further input to the sidechain (gain wise) after a point.

I'll share my preset with you Gregg, no worries!
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
kind of a second threshold, me think elysia xpress (hardware) has it ?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering ➡️
kind of a second threshold, me think elysia xpress (hardware) has it ?
Both the xpressor and the mpressor have the gain reduction limiter.
Old 13th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sonoris is the closest sounding digital compression to the hardware Alpha's compression action sound. It is in a league of its own as far as VST is concerned.

If I couldn't use my Alpha hardware I would be using Sonoris.

Cant say the same thing about the plugin version of the Alpha.
What setting and gr do you use with sonoris?
Old 13th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by takka360 ➡️
What setting and gr do you use with sonoris?
Not wanting to be annoying but the settings are depending on the Music.

I don't really use Sonoris as I already have a few hardware compressors and don't feel the need for software.

I did find when shooting it out on dance music (70% of what I do)that the Sonoris compressor was very close to the hardware Alpha doing 1-2dB gain reduction on both. Very clean sounding. I tend to like the slow attack fast release timed to the music.

In this mode I found the Sonoris to be quite transparent in action like the hardware Alpha. But that is the only similarity.

There's many things that the Alpha can do that is unique to the Alpha and its far more than just a compressor.

One of the unique features of the Alpha in the hardware is the effect of the side chain. If you use the side chain to dial in a specific part of the spectrum like say the bass so that only the bass is triggering the compression. Then for the first couple of dB it will create the psychoacoustic impression that the bass is louder in the mix. Not quieter as you would expect. You can really make things dominate the mix doing this trick. This is something I have not heard from anything else.

All of the features on the Alpha are incredibly well thought out and can all be very useful. The tilt eq has so much weight to the bottom end you can take a thin sounding mix like a live recording made on bad mikes that just have no body, and make it sound solid.

The MS is really good. Really well made circuit. Never gets the phasey sound like I have heard from some gear. Combined with the tilt eq you can really do a lot of subtle shaping that works really well on electronic music.

The transformers really make the transients jump out if you hit the input hard. This can work really well on the right material as can the soft saturation.

I use it every day and still keep finding new tricks. Such a deep box. Totally different from the plugin.

If I had to start again the Alpha would be the first bit of hardware I would get.
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Cheers for that
Old 14th July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have changed my mind on the sonoris,i played with sonoris and the Alpha plugin and think sonoris was In a class of its own so thanks for reminding me.
Old 25th November 2014 | Show parent
Deleted c387cfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaTau80 ➡️
I can't tell yet if the alpha can be as transparent as the Sonoris, although I do find myself liking its very subtle warming function.
Wondering this myself right now. Demo'ing both and without the EQ Gate on the Alpha the Sonoris definitely brings more details out. But with the right EQ settings it gets really close. Right now i'd lean more towards the Sonoris i think, if it weren't for all the additional options that the Alpha offers. + The outlook to get it for just $99 on friday...
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I have both and always find myself going for the Alpha first before trying any other compressor. Its musicality and tightness is stunning.
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would suggest Kotelnikov GE, it can ben be very transparent or coloured..or anything in between..+ other specials..
Also the price point is unbeatable.
Old 8th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaTau80 ➡️
I'd heard good things about the DC8C, I just never thought of it as a mastering comp. I'll look into it.

I can't tell yet if the alpha can be as transparent as the Sonoris, although I do find myself liking its very subtle warming function.

Any elysia alpha users?
I never use alpha. It's auto release algo is nothing to write home about.
It only has on/off channel linking. That's not exactly a 'mastering' tool.
Sonoris has variable channel link
To me Alpha is close but no cigar. The clipper on it is not that great. Gclip certainly surpasses it.
Ummm the sonoris offers up to 8x oversample. I mean, just looking at the features tells you which one is pro and which one is for hobbyists
Old 8th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 ➡️
I never use alpha. It's auto release algo is nothing to write home about.
It only has on/off channel linking. That's not exactly a 'mastering' tool.
Sonoris has variable channel link
To me Alpha is close but no cigar. The clipper on it is not that great. Gclip certainly surpasses it.
Ummm the sonoris offers up to 8x oversample. I mean, just looking at the features tells you which one is pro and which one is for hobbyists
Alpha's auto release auto attck function is the best I've heard so far.
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
When I tested it I found the Alpha plugin strange and not useful. I use Sonoris, and when I need a little more punch or movement, PSP Mastercomp. Tokyo Dawn Labs compressors are great, very clean, and the DC8C seems to be good, though I haven't spent enough time to really know its possibilities.
The Fabfilter Pro-C always seemed to do something strange with the music for my ears.
At times I also use IK Multimedia comps for mastering, like the Opto, often in parallel.

Be aware that the Sonoris comp has some auto settings, even when not set to "Auto". Manual release at minimum isn't as short as it seems, for example (I often have release all the way down). Also be aware of the FF/FB possibility.

Last edited by Rumi; 11th February 2015 at 09:52 AM..
📝 Reply