Quantcast
A Mastering EQ with a classic 1073 Sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Mastering EQ with a classic 1073 Sound
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A Mastering EQ with a classic 1073 Sound

What kind of mastering EQ is available with detented recallable settings might sound like a 1073, or in that family of sound?

(I'm aware that the 1073 imparts more coloration than most Mastering Engineers usually want, but you never know, some tracks are so sterile, it could fatten things up a bit.)
Old 22nd January 2013
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
That kind of coloration is usually avoided in mastering. Or better I should have said "in the old days" as there are a few mastering engineers with such eq in their racks nowadays. That kind of vibe should be in the mix as a tracking and or mixing choice. As many decide not to choose either for lack of knowledge, fear and terror or just plain laziness the poor ME has to inject what lacks in the first place (I'll leave writing and playing skills aside for now....)

Anyway ...... rant over. It is a service business, we'll get to the point when upon delivery of files and tapes we will be handled the car to service ....

Neve 2087.
Great River Mastering Eq.
A Neve 1073 racked up.
The clones (Heritage and BAE amongst others)
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo ➑️
That kind of coloration is usually avoided in mastering. Or better I should have said "in the old days" as there are a few mastering engineers with such eq in their racks nowadays. That kind of vibe should be in the mix as a tracking and or mixing choice. As many decide not to choose either for lack of knowledge, fear and terror or just plain laziness the poor ME has to inject what lacks in the first place (I'll leave writing and playing skills aside for now....)

Anyway ...... rant over. It is a service business, we'll get to the point when upon delivery of files and tapes we will be handled the car to service ....

Neve 2087.
Great River Mastering Eq.
A Neve 1073 racked up.
The clones (Heritage and BAE amongst others)
I am aware that most mastering engineers wouldn't use something like a 1073, that was my disclaimer, but thank you for hammering that point home.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i like the color of a 1073 sometimes on rocktracks who are a bit to steril produced.
but in a masterchain the 1073 is often too much colored & so i choose the great river maq, who give you this neve touch, but in a less intense way - and you get all parameters stepped and a very practicaly link of the frequenzys and q's.

the maq is not my most used mastering eq, but if he fits, there is no other one who can give you the same flavour.
i most love the mid bands of the maq, they also work very good for cutting.
the highs have a special color, i would explain them as "breathy".
the lows are big, very big - works sometimes on ballad, but is often to hefty.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was visiting an old family friend at Capital Mastering Studios and he was using a 1081, almost the same eq I think, he liked the color, so do I, so do allot of mastering engineers and children around the world. He's only mastering obscure stuff like John Coltrane, significant parts of the Blue note collection, not really valid so I can see your guys point.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broyhillio ➑️
I was visiting an old family friend at Capital Mastering Studios and he was using a 1081, almost the same eq I think, he liked the color, so do I, so do allot of mastering engineers and children around the world. He's only mastering obscure stuff like John Coltrane, significant parts of the Blue note collection, not really valid so I can see your guys point.
But why the 1081 exactly?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Another vote for the Great River (note avatar): teebaum put it well, the build quality is of a very high standard too
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable ➑️
But why the 1081 exactly?
All the color of the 1073, but different freq choices?? Probably someone else is more qualified to know the exact differences.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The MAQ mid cuts and boosts almost warrant it being in the console alone.
COuld be nice option for you without all the 1081 color
πŸ“ Reply