Quantcast
Conversion Quesiton - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Conversion Quesiton
Old 21st January 2013
Conversion Quesiton

Hi. I need to down sample from 48k / 24 bits to 44.1k / 24 bits so i can burn a CD from Soundblade. I'm using Saracon for the src process. It has an option for different types of dither, or truncation off. Since i'm not converting down to 16bits in Saracon, should i not use any dithering at all? And then add my dither in Soundblade for my CD / Export process.

I normally leave all dithering to the end of my processing, but i'm new to Soundblade and i'm not used to there being no conversion options at the burn or bounce stage.

Thanks for any help.
Old 21st January 2013
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Intermediate files should be TPFD dithered to 24 bits or written 32 bit float.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
Intermediate files should be TPFD dithered to 24 bits or written 32 bit float.
I forgot to mention that my files are already at 24bit, is your answer still the same, go with TPFD.
Old 21st January 2013
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Anytime you make any calculations (with a tiny few exceptions.) you need to truncate an exponent which requires dithering. It's too bad software doesn't just handle it without user intervention but we're stuck with this convention.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
Anytime you make any calculations (with a tiny few exceptions.) you need to truncate an exponent which requires dithering. It's too bad software doesn't just handle it without user intervention but we're stuck with this convention.
Thanks Bob, appreciate the info!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…