Quantcast
What kbps for MP3? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What kbps for MP3?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What kbps for MP3?

Hi, I'm bouncing some tracks to MP3 and I was wondering what kbps is the most common these days.
These tracks won't be mastered anymore than what I'm doing and will probably go from here straight to iTunes or similar file hosting companies.
Thanks
Chris
Old 20th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Don't send MP3 to iTunes or any of the other hosting solutions. Send the full format WAV/AIFF and let them do the conversion. They will only get double converted if you send an MP3.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
OK, it's just my client is asking for MP3s with ID tags and such so I presumed that was what was happening.
So if I send wavs would that be 16bit?
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Bay ➑️
Yes. For online digital distribution, Co's like Cdbaby, Tunecore, and Nimbit.. 16 bit is what you want to send. If someone needed Mp3's to host, or sell from a personnel web site, I'd keep it at 256 or 320 kbps. Flac is also a good option. If you're unsure,.. check what a particular host will accept,.. the important thing being that you do not want to have a low rez file re-converted. ..and always want to use the highest rez file (within reason) to distribute or convert from.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks very much.
I'll keep them at 320 then.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but do the 16bit wavs have to be coded when I send them or do they do that?
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Bay ➑️
OK, it's just my client is asking for MP3s with ID tags and such so I presumed that was what was happening.
For aggregators I'd send CD masters - as in whatever you'd distribute for sale on CD.

For direct hosting (as in NOT sound cloud, myspace , last FM etc) then MP3 works fine. but for the music sites send the WAVs as they will be re-encoded.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First of all, always always always bounce to WAV and then encode the mp3 from that. Second, if sending a wav to itunes, send 24 bit.
Old 23rd January 2013
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…