Quantcast
What is the best sounding VST compressor? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the best sounding VST compressor?
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Plugin Alliance's Elysia Alpha here.

It's like a stereo compression toolkit which is really hard to make sound wrong, but really easy to tweek to perfection
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➑️
kjaerhus classic compressor from classic collection
Someone should revive this company.
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Verified Member
137 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
Another for TDR feedback compressor. My favorite though is Klanghelm DC8C-2. The attack and release are more audible than TDR, but the tone can be very transparent.

Also, the DSM. Amazing compressor.
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness ➑️
Plugin Alliance's Elysia Alpha here.

It's like a stereo compression toolkit which is really hard to make sound wrong, but really easy to tweek to perfection
Don't you find it alters the tone of the material slightly? Like soften the top end? I like it on individual parts sometimes but not sure i would ever really want it on a mix?
Old 22nd November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
- UAD 1176 collection. More hardware-like of the software comps that I used.

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk
Old 23rd November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli ➑️
Don't you find it alters the tone of the material slightly? Like soften the top end? I like it on individual parts sometimes but not sure i would ever really want it on a mix?
A touch perhaps, but there is much flexibility to make it not an issue, I find having the attack on quite slow but putting the auto on covers all bases when it comes to keeping transients sounding nice.

I use it on 90% of mastering work here and I'm getting great results.

Also the M/S link/unlink is very very useful
Old 27th November 2013
Deleted 1aa3d46
Cytomic The Glue for master, Softtube Cl1b for some individual tracks. Brainworx Vertigo VSC-2 for drum bus.
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Just picked up Focusrite Midnight Blue for $25 new in the box. Compressor and EQ. It does a very nice job and you cannot beat the price...well, free is better.
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Finally decided to get in on this one, but it seems like a trick question. The word "sounding" is the trick. A "sounding" compressor can be a good or bad thing depending on what it is you're trying to do. Sometimes a "sounding" compressor, or something that actually adds a 'sound' is a good thing. But on the other hand a "sounding" compressor might be the wrong thing if what you are after is something that has no 'sound' or is transparent. A more fair question to me would be, "What is your favorite VST compressor and why?".

That said, I like the Waves API2500, UAD Fairchild, and the Neve 33609 emulations as my favorite 'sounding' compressors. On the other hand I like the Waves Rcompressor and Flux, as transparent compressors. Looking to grab PA Elysia Alpha and Cytomic The Glue, along with Softtube CL1b. UAD Shadow Hills has my attention as well. Also looking at Sonoris and FabFilter Pro-C to add to my transparent lot.
Old 28th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulus ➑️
if i could only have one vst comp i'd go for the waves api. sounds great on everything and it's really quick and easy to use.
Just the best rock drum sound ever... Old (feedback) mode makes the snare ring for days if your drummer knows how to play the hihats correctly.

For the OP though I would suggest Sonnox Dynamics, or Izotope Ozone. OR, if you want to do some sidechaining and dirty up a bass guitar, try Softube FET compressor.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I want to know what is the cleanest, most transparent compressor that does not suck the depth into the GR. And one that has smart fine tuning options like built-in side chains, etc.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
I want to know what is the cleanest, most transparent compressor that does not suck the depth into the GR. And one that has smart fine tuning options like built-in side chains, etc.
TDR Feedback compressor and Klanghelm DC8C2. Neither kill the depth or fuzz the highs, which almost all others do.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok. One of the Flux compressors is incredible for stems/busses, I think it's Solera? It's the one that looks kind of like Boost11 that comes with Cakewalk Sonar (which is also pretty impressive if you use it on the correct material). I like the Sonalksis "green" compressor too for clean sounds. The Sonnox dynamics does do clean but it gets dirty too. PSP makes some good ones as well. They're all different, even the "clean" ones. It depends more on the tracks you are doing whether a compressor is clean or not in my experience. Some things get crunchy, some get warm, through the same plugin.
Old 16th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Stillwell Major Tom

Stillwell The Rocket is great too, especially if you slam it with drums or something.
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
TDR Feedback compressor ll is great!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum ➑️
TDR Feedback compressor ll is great!
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanperez2000 ➑️
- UAD 1176 collection. More hardware-like of the software comps that I used.

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk
Uad 1176 collection and their new Fairchild!
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Fabfilter ProC FabFilter Pro-C - Compressor Plug-In VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Waves SSL up to 140bpm. Above that API 2500. For mix compression that is.
Old 19th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sonoris mastering comp & Sonnox Dynamics (buss preset for start point,limiter off)

my 2 cents
Old 21st February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I tried a lot of them in long demo sessions and what I (personally believe to) know now is:

Vertigo VSC2 is a very good thing for light mixbus compression, Soft Tube CL1 is nice for coloring (totally crazy what it does, I like it!)
UAD Fatso is great for parallel compression.

Definitely have to check out the Klanghelm after reading this guys!

Best, cheers!
JR
Old 19th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
API 2500 and sonoris but worlds apart
Old 21st March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I can say the Vertigo VSC 2 and the API 2500 are great for Mastering i work with them a lot (Plugins).
But again it's a lot of taste and what the material/song needs there are a few good Mastering compressors on the Market.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For such an anti-VST compressor guy such as myself I have to say TDR kotelnikov GE (The Feedback one was good also) and Thrillseeker VBL are two beautiful (hardware rivaling) compressors in VST land. I have high hopes for the future of software compressors after those mentioned.
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I think the x comp ssl sounds mighty fine,Vertigo is pretty good sounding also.
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
More praise for Density MkIII here.

For a free plugin compressor, this thing has options that allow it to be used like you might often use the tubes, transformers or other features of a hardware compressor.

I really like the Colour dial for adding a bit of weight/thickness/glue to thinner sounding tracks (and might sometimes use a touch of this without any gain reduction). This has a similar effect to parallel compression to my ears.

The L-R/Stereo/MS modes when combined with the variable link control provide some great options for focusing or expanding the stereo image if required.

Other than that, I agree with Joe that the Elysia Alpha plugin is a veritable toolbox; and the Waves 2500 is the best plugin hands down from waves (IMO). To me, it actually has more punch or crack than the hardware (which I like sometimes) but just doesn't have the same weight as the hardware. And don't even get me started about the tone controls or output transformer on the hardware...!

Enjoying the discussion,

Dom
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
how about the compressor in FGX? Seems very clean and classy.
Old 24th March 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
TDR kotelnikov GE is the BEST!
πŸ“ Reply