Yet another limiter, but you need to pay subscription - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yet another limiter, but you need to pay subscription
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yet another limiter, but you need to pay subscription

Just a heads up on a new mastering limiter on the block. And this one has an interesting twist.

Anyone who has an elicenser dongle can subscribe to this plugin.

Full License
€39.00
every 12 months
Axis Plug-ins

What do you think subscription plans for plugins?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
So this looks like a multi-band limiter under the hood. Not sure I would use that in mastering. Not sure I would use it anywhere if you can't control indavidual bands. Am I missing something?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio ➡️
So this looks like a multi-band limiter under the hood. Not sure I would use that in mastering. Not sure I would use it anywhere if you can't control indavidual bands. Am I missing something?

correct, the track limiters' main purpose is for tracking/recording not summing .. we will release the mastering limiter in the first quarter of 2013 and it will feature control of individual bands especially regarding their time portions ...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk ➡️
What do you think subscription plans for plugins?
I wont buy any plug on subscription just like I wouldn't buy hardware on subscription
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
I wont buy any plug on subscription just like I wouldn't buy hardware on subscription

you are really not leasing your hardware ? i mean, wow .. did not expect that ... but ok .. understandable ..
Lives for gear

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastian Schnurle ➡️
you are really not leasing your hardware ? i mean, wow .. did not expect that ... but ok .. understandable ..
I can't speak for everyone but I'm not sure there are many high end users 'leasing' hardware. I've bought all mine outright including all software and plug-ins. The idea of leasing a plug-in however cheap isn't an appealing idea. Maybe you could offer a 'once off' buy it now price which is higher and a 2nd leasing option if you must.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why not compromise and offer a buy it once price?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I'll echo - subscription rental is not a bad idea but you have to have a buy outright deal as well otherwise I think you will put a lot of people off.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
Why not compromise and offer a buy it once price?
because it is just no option, it is a small company .. the budget would explode ... i am not allowed to talk details here ..

but actually first i would like to offer an ilok subscription, too .. here i even do not know if both companies would allow offering both systems from the same company ..

if i want to offer a buy once option the thing is that every single plug-in would need an extra contract with the security company .. this means every plug-in before it can be released has so high costs; that would directly kill axis plug-ins ...

and if i start selling it without any industry standard security i do not have to start the whole thing .. because the crack would be around before you even have heard of axis plug-ins ..
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Fair enough, I cant pretend to understand how budgetry constraints prohibit this but I'm sure some wont be put off by having renew every year

Btw I'm pretty sure dongle protected stuff has been cracked in the past, could be wrong but seem to remember some usb dongle emu being created that got round the dongle limitation
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have never heard of anyone leasing hardware and gear. I have heard of people leasing a car, but not gear. People get loans to pay for expensive gear, and make monthly payments, but that is not leasing. That's financing. When you are finished making payments in how ever many years it takes you, you now own the gear outright.

Cheers.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not much different to buying a plugin outright and having to pay for every other upgrade except that this rental model doesn't give the end user the ability to on sell a license.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat ➡️
I have never heard of anyone leasing hardware and gear.
you can lease every product from apple directly with the apple bank .. in science this is viable, they have to calculate content that is getting more and more every year, so they need always the latest systems .. that is why there is leasing .. but i also know of high end studios that always get new hardware every two years ... the same for a pc, there are tons of companies out there that buy the stuff you want and give it to you in a leasing contract, you can even select which exact gear/product you want ...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I suggest you don't try to explain your business model to try to convince users; for the most part, anyone who's willing to spend more than a few hundred bucks on audio tools is probably serious about their purchases, so maybe just take the feedback into consideration and either stick to what you're doing or change it.

Quote:
you can lease every product from apple directly with the apple bank .. in science this is viable, they have to calculate content that is getting more and more every year, so they need always the latest systems .. that is why there is leasing .. but i also know of high end studios that always get new hardware every two years ... the same for a pc, there are tons of companies out there that buy the stuff you want and give it to you in a leasing contract, you can even select which exact gear/product you want ...
Basically, it's called the "Carrot on a Stick Trick." This is EXACTLY the reason why I jumped off the PC upgrade train a couple years ago. I'm on a Windows XP machine that I plan on sticking with forever (especially for mastering, not much processing power needed). I'm using a couple of software effects that need an OS upgrade in order for me to run the latest version (which has no sonic improvements, it's simply just a matter of being current). I'm not sure if your limiter would even run on a Windows XP machine, I personally don't care as I've got enough limiters for my needs (UAD, Massey, Flux:

I bought both my ADC and DAC with a low interest credit card, which I paid off months later after putting aside money from jobs, it's a nice feeling, to finally pay off and own something you invested in. If I decide to sell them today, I would probably lose a few hundred dollars, but I would still be able to sell them for a decent chunk of dough (that's how I feel about my audio tools, if I want to rent something that needs future upgrades and pay for those upgrades, I'll stick to Angry Birds).

I also understand that I don't "own" any of the software effects I've paid for, but one thing I know for sure is that I'm not running anything that can simply stop working should the developer end support for it (as long as I stick to my configuration) and I like it that way.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco ➡️
I'm not sure if your limiter would even run on a Windows XP machine
it does, we are also testing on a very old xp machine ... but the 'track limiter' is not a mastering limiter ... i used this id to make sure, that it does not mix-up .-- but it did anyway ...

i am curious, as far as i know the possible file size is limited on old machines .. isn't that a reason to upgrade or is there just no demand for mastering of files that exceed such an old machine .. regarding the size of 192kHz+ files ?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I think you are talking about the FAT32 drive standard but XP format defaults to NTFS where that 4gig file size restriction does not exist.
4 gigs is massive anyway.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink ➡️
4 gigs is massive anyway.
at 192kHz 7.1 surround ?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
My point was that the standard XP format is NTFS which does NOT have that restriction.

BUT even if you want to go there, yes - even at the spec you mentioned 4 gigs is still ample for most any music track. I doubt that even on this board there is a whole lot of 192k 7.1 surround mastering going on.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have never heard of anyone leasing hardware and gear. I have heard of people leasing a car, but not gear. People get loans to pay for expensive gear, and make monthly payments, but that is not leasing. That's financing. When you are finished making payments in how ever many years it takes you, you now own the gear outright.

Cheers.
Leasing technology is quite common with large organizations, the equipment can be upgraded every 3 years and also provides a tax incentive.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
... but the 'track limiter' is not a mastering limiter ... i used this id to make sure, that it does not mix-up .-- but it did anyway ...
Sorry, but the info on your site says:

Three different limiting algorithms

Transparent, smooth, mastering quality limiting

So I thought that it was.

I do like the idea that it can be the same level of quality as a task that demands quality and yet not suitable for the task.
A subtle marketing distinction.

"This leather jacket is the same quality as the kevlar ones used by the army.....
Or the marketing police."*

*not to be used in arguing semantic differences or any other situations where guns regularly settle disputes
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk ➡️
I do like the idea that it can be the same level of quality as a task that demands quality and yet not suitable for the task.
A subtle marketing distinction.

"This leather jacket is the same quality as the kevlar ones used by the army.....
Or the marketing police."*

*not to be used in arguing semantic differences or any other situations where guns regularly settle disputes
hehehe ...

you could use the track limiter on the sum but you do not need to there will be a mastering limiter from axis plug-ins with the same pristine quality and several more features .. including a fir cross-over .. which then is dedicated for mastering because of the latency introduced by the fir filter ...
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have never heard of anyone leasing hardware and gear...
I can't think of any pro facility that doesn't lease a whole lot of their hardware and gear! I've always rented as much as I could when I couldn't just rent a studio.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
I've always rented as much as I could when I couldn't just rent a studio.
thank you bob,

finally someone wrote how my idea of subscribing software was born .. i always have learned from teenager times on that usually everybody is just renting the studio they want to work in .. so why not just subscribe the software that you will use while you are in there .. ok, i have to take baby-steps here, because axis plug-ins currently only has yearly plans ... but as soon as we are able to do that we will also have weekly and monthly plans ...
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bastian, I see you're from Berlin. Nice.

I hope you don't take this personal, but I would suggest using a spell-checker on your 'about' text in German.

Plus, instead of the gazillionst limiter, I as a plugin developer would try to offer a solution that is REALLY needed.

That would be an AAX-DSP capable True-Peak-limiter for post-people who have to comply to R128.

Grüße aus Mitte!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator ➡️
I would suggest using a spell-checker on your 'about' text in German
ah, 'kundenbetreung' ..danke .. all the texts are written by a native japanese linguist ... sorry i do not check it good enough, but one mistake is not the world ..

Quote:
That would be an AAX-DSP capable True-Peak-limiter for post-people who have to comply to R128.
can not afford the hardware, even if i would just lease it .. sorry ... but thanks for the idea ..
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
post sriptum

Quote:
for post-people who have to comply to R128
as axis plug-ins subscriptions include all current and upcoming axis plug-ins and their updates our Inspektor may be of use here ...

it features bob katz k/itu level meters, which i think no other company yet has implemented as well as a true peak meter, additionally RLB(Leq/ITU) and True Peak weighting can be selected for all fft/spectrogram/3rd octave analysis
📝 Reply