Using a high-end DAC with a lo-fi reference monitor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using a high-end DAC with a lo-fi reference monitor
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Using a high-end DAC with a lo-fi reference monitor

Hey Everybody,

My main reference DAC is a Lavry DA10, and that feeds my primary monitors and headphones.

I'm thinking about adding a lo-fi reference monitor (something like an Avantone) and I'm wondering if it makes sense to feed a lo-fi monitor from a high-end DAC. In other words, if the point of the monitor is to present a "real world" listening check, then a pristine DAC stage seems counter productive. I could feed an Avantone from a much more modest Burr-Brown 2702, but, to be honest, I'm not sure what the pro's and con's would be on this.

If anyone has some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Jed
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
There definitely is an argument for both the scenarios you have mentioned.

I use a pair of avantone mix cubes as a secondary reference speaker in my studio and I actually find that they can really reveal distortion in the midrange and are great for me in fine tuning the release times of compressors. They are also really useful for checking the relative perceived volume between different tracks.

So from my experience I would still want to know that they are fed from a decent quality DA and that I am hearing the effect of the speakers and not having other issues thrown into the equation from a cheap converter.

An easier approach overall would be to implement a monitor controller that will let you switch different sets of speakers from the one reference DA, so in this case you could use your current DA to drive both sets of speakers as you will only be listening to one set of speakers at any time.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusburst ➡️
Hey Everybody,

My main reference DAC is a Lavry DA10, and that feeds my primary monitors and headphones.

I'm thinking about adding a lo-fi reference monitor (something like an Avantone) and I'm wondering if it makes sense to feed a lo-fi monitor from a high-end DAC. In other words, if the point of the monitor is to present a "real world" listening check, then a pristine DAC stage seems counter productive. I could feed an Avantone from a much more modest Burr-Brown 2702, but, to be honest, I'm not sure what the pro's and con's would be on this.

If anyone has some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Jed
a speaker like a avanton didn't must be bad in the limited frequency range he work. but this limitation let you be focussed to the midrange and your midrange will work in all situations. its important to hear exactly what you to in this range, a solid converter even help you when you work with a avantone.

in my studio i use a lavry black for the main and the converter of the t.c. bmc (who is not bad) for my tiny abacus c-2
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks so much - really helpful information from both of you!

Best Regards,
Jed
📝 Reply