Quantcast
What do you care when you want to achieve both loudness and sound quality? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you care when you want to achieve both loudness and sound quality?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years

Hello,

I am a Japanese recording/mixing engineer.
I would really like to learn about the way mastering engineers think.

I think most pop mixes would have drum peaks when they are not L2ed when being sent to you, and say, those drums sound wonderful on your loud speakers. What would you do if you want to keep all of that and still need to make the song loud? Maybe, you need to make illusion?

Thank you.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, most pop tunes don't have drums. They're almost always sample based, so there's no inconsistencies. Now, contrary to recent popular belief, mix engineers generally don't use hard limiting and especially not the L2. That's something best handled in mastering. If you really want the best quality possible, just get a good sounding mix, forget about making a hot mix.

Doing it yourself, you can have a loud mix or you can have a good mix. You can't have both because as you obviously know, making it loud degrades the sound and the people who listen to your music will just adjust the volume to their comfort level any way. You can leave the mastering to a professional with the knowledge, tools and experience to do the best job possible. He/she will know where to make the best compromises to hide the degradation of your music. It's not something you just can do yourself with a couple of words of advice from some people that don't know what your music is like.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That goes all the way back to tracking and picking the core sounds, capturing them with a decent amount (what many people would consider "way too much" but the rest of us consider "hopefully just enough") of headroom, making sure those core sounds actually work well together, etc.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, there's a lot to be said about arrangement. I'm surprised everybody hasn't all bought Vox Continentals or Jaguars and used those as their sole instruments for all recordings all the time. They could just normalize the stupid things and never need any other processing to make it loud. I mean, nothing is more important in this industry than loudness right? It doesn't get any louder than a series of square waves.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi.

Thank you for your replays.

First, I meant any percussive stuff that has sharp peaks by Drums, sorry.
Samples or live, doesn't matter.

So, you guys are basically saying you can't achieve both unless the song is build for the loudness at first, right?

I think that is really true for stuff like the Beatles. Sure, you can't have the sound quality if you maximize Yesterday. No may.

But, let's say you are mastering HipHop, and those drums sound really excite, buy you could achieve the same or better excitement even if you maximize it. Couldn't you?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama ➑️
Hi.

Thank you for your replays.

First, I meant any percussive stuff that has sharp peaks by Drums, sorry.
Samples or live, doesn't matter.

So, you guys are basically saying you can't achieve both unless the song is build for the loudness at first, right?

I think that is really true for stuff like the Beatles. Sure, you can't have the sound quality if you maximize Yesterday. No may.

But, let's say you are mastering HipHop, and those drums sound really excite, buy you could achieve the same or better excitement even if you maximize it. Couldn't you?
Yes to an extent.. At some point however there will be a compromise with either distortion and/or transient degradation..

Impact is what dictates what to do. Sometimes going slightly beyond this point can yield the necessary impact other times it flattens the song and decreases impact..
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
And no to an extent. There is no "building for loudness" -- There's "building for extreme quality" which just happens to translate to "less damage" when it comes to loudness.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…