Mastering in Logic Pro/Waveburner? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering in Logic Pro/Waveburner?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mastering in Logic Pro/Waveburner?

Hey peeps!

I'd rather not master an album myself, but I'm curious as to what is the best method for mastering an album in Logic in your opinion

What seems to make most sense to me is to mix all the tracks individually and bounce them all individually peaking at anywhere between -3 to -6 (all tracks preferably peaking at the same level). Then once all the tracks are mixed and bounced, bring them to waveburner and master all the tracks there.

The reason for my thinking is because I understand it's better to master an album with an overall mastered sound to make a cohesive CD, rather than mastering each track individually and slapping them together.

What are your thoughts on this though?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bring all the stereo mix files into a new session in logic and master there. Fades, processing etc.... Then you can use wave burner or anything else to assemble the final disc. Best not to do any processing in WB.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Why is it not good to process in Waveburner?
Old 21st September 2012
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Allow me to quote myself from LogicProHelp:

WaveBurner is an old and defective piece of software. I don't recommend you use it for anything as it will change your sound and likely cause errors/rejection at the plant. Lack of data integrity, bugged CD-Text, illegal PQ codes, end-of-file or end-of-disc clicks, the list goes on. Scandalous software that hasn't been updated for ages.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt ➑️

WaveBurner is an old and defective piece of software. I don't recommend you use it for anything as it will change your sound and likely cause errors/rejection at the plant. Lack of data integrity, bugged CD-Text, illegal PQ codes, end-of-file or end-of-disc clicks, the list goes on. Scandalous software that hasn't been updated for ages.
Although, I have Logic and WaveBurner - I have never really used the latter.

As I particularly value your opinion, I am quite happy I have never used used WaveBurner.

I truly had no idea it was as awful as your post explains.

I mainly avoided it because the interface seemed rather just "clumsy", for lack of a better word.

I am glad I dodged that bullet... Thanks for the info Lagerfeldt.

Best,
Alexa
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar ➑️
Bring all the stereo mix files into a new session in logic and master there. Fades, processing etc.... Then you can use wave burner or anything else to assemble the final disc. Best not to do any processing in WB.
So just to clarify nnajar. You're saying take all the final mixes of each track and put them on to a brand new logic session. Then you'd do all the actual mastering on the output track of that session i.e. EQing, Compression and Limiter etc. Then you'd take that session on to WB and use WB strictly to separate the session into individual tracks?

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up Lagerfeldt. I don't intend to do any mastering myself, however if I change my mind some point in the future I may well take heed of your advice and give WB a wide birth. Is there any other software you recommend instead? (Cheaper the better).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lav ➑️
So just to clarify nnajar. You're saying take all the final mixes of each track and put them on to a brand new logic session. Then you'd do all the actual mastering on the output track of that session i.e. EQing, Compression and Limiter etc. Then you'd take that session on to WB and use WB strictly to separate the session into individual tracks?

bring the final mixes of each song into a new session of logic. do the actual processing there. bounce each with the new processing/fades/mastering/etc... individually out of logic. import the individual mastered tracks into WB and burn your disc.

but I agree with lagerfeldt that WB is defective and crappy. I only use it for quick rough burns. But I didn't suggest anything else because I didn't want to tell you to spend money. My favorite software for making discs is sonoris ddp creator.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wha?

I have and use Waveburner on an almost daily basis, and once I got used to the interface, I've had only a few problems with it. So- What would be recommended for creating final CDRs (incl CD Text, fades, processing) for Mac only? Also- what major issues have people reported with Waveburner? I've had a CD skip and plug-ins "forget" settings, but it hasn't been any less dependable than my Protools HD rig.
Old 22nd September 2012
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
As mentioned above, there are several well-known bugs in WaveBurner. Almost all of them major issues, though some can be avoided by complicated workarounds. CD-Text is broken beyond repair, though.

For simple jobs I recommend Sonoris DDP Creator. Will do DDP, burn Red Book, export Cue/wav, etc. No audio editing: just track order, spacing, codes, CD-Text, etc. It's €249 and has a cheap DDP Player for your clients (€59) and an OEM version for €299, which I give my clients.

Another option is Audiophile Engineering Wave Editor for only $80, but I'm not a fan of the interface. Their website seems to be down right now.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
other than what you have mentioned WB is known to add clicks and pops between tracks and it is known to have problems burning ISRC code to discs...(making it pretty problematic for CD mastering).
On a Mac I would checkout wave editor (now called triumph i think) or wavelab on PC, CD Architect or wavelab.
There are some more expensive alternatives...Soundblade comes to mind...but these should do the job.
Old 22nd September 2012
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I actually already mentioned the clicks. End-of-file and end-of-disc clicks. Definitely something you want on a disc about to be replicated... not. There are workarounds for that, though.

Never heard about ISRC problems, I think that's more a compatibility or burner issue.

I also have Soundblade, but the interface is cumbersome to put it politely.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
yea I was ....trying to look at the wave editor site while posting my response...didn't see yours until I had posted mine...I'm curious what this new "Triumph" is going to be like.
Old 22nd September 2012
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Let's hope it lives up to its name ;-)
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I also have Soundblade, but the interface is cumbersome to put it politely.
To each his own, DAW choice is just that.

From my viewpoint the Sonic sB GUI is well designed & feature rich, with an elegant workflow.

Best, JT
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all your thoughts and relies guys. It's been helpful
πŸ“ Reply