Quantcast
Getting sides back into mids possible? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting sides back into mids possible?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Getting sides back into mids possible?

Hi. can the uncorrelated sides go back to the mids correlated again so they are present when the mix is monoed? is it even possible and how would you?

im no pro here so this might be wrong but im thinking that if i took the right and left side of the sides and phase flipped one of them would that now make them correlated again and therefore back in the center? (flamings and face-palms permitted if wrong)

now thats talking about completely getting rid of the sides from the sides back to the middle but is there a way/plugin to just do this a bit as so "to taste"?
all this would be done in the mixing stage for eg. a big unison synth with many detuned voices wont sum to mono as well as id like so id like to rein in the sides without loosing the information thats in them.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev herb ➡️
Hi. can the uncorrelated sides go back to the mids correlated again so they are present when the mix is monoed? is it even possible and how would you?

im no pro here so this might be wrong but im thinking that if i took the right and left side of the sides and phase flipped one of them would that now make them correlated again and therefore back in the center? (flamings and face-palms permitted if wrong)

now thats talking about completely getting rid of the sides from the sides back to the middle but is there a way/plugin to just do this a bit as so "to taste"?
all this would be done in the mixing stage for eg. a big unison synth with many detuned voices wont sum to mono as well as id like so id like to rein in the sides without loosing the information thats in them.

Cheers
Kevin
Try the DrMS plugin from Mathew Lane. You should be able to do what you need it with it!
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi thanks for the reply. I've hear good things about that plug well worth demoing if it'll do what I'm asking and thus subsequent purchase (fair price!)

Just of interest can I do what I'm explaining in the op with logic plugs and the free ms decoders/encoders?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev herb ➡️
Hi thanks for the reply. I've hear good things about that plug well worth demoing if it'll do what I'm asking and thus subsequent purchase (fair price!)

Just of interest can I do what I'm explaining in the op with logic plugs and the free ms decoders/encoders?
Probably yes! But you'll end up with a messy session with a lot of tracks/buses/plugins while DrMS can do the same with a twist of one or two knobs.

You'll need to decode the L/R to M/S and add a portion of the side signal to the mid signal before going to L/R again. You'll probably need to EQ or delay the side signal going to the mid signal to ensure the best addiction of those two signals. Obviously you'll have to listen carefully because this type of processing is very mix dependent, it can work really nice or it can mess up with everything.
📝 Reply